New Rumor/Leak - D2 Remaster

WC3-like reason. Want to make a bet on it?

Sure :smile:

But it is silly. If Blizzard want to screw you over they can do so without a Remaster. They could take the D2 servers down tomorrow.
There is a reason I am strongly against Online Only.

There is not a reason D2 Remaster on its own should result in D2 servers being taken down.
Blizzard could still decide to do it though.

I just don’t see how Blizzards ability to screw their fans is an argument against a D2 Remaster.

3 Likes

I hope its true.
I hope they do it like sc1, not w3.
(I would have bought the new w3 if it was done like sc1…)

I hope the remastered bit has lots and lots of shared stash, no chat spams, autopickup (gold, gems etc) and permanent characters.

I don’t care about the back end, although starting from the launcher would be nice.
We should still be able to make plenty of permanent characters though.

Playing together with people who do not buy the remastered version should be possible as well.

I would like to retain the same gameplay, look and feel, the darkness etc. in much higher resolution.

I would like to play d2 every now and then. But hate to start over every time because my characters expired…

Playing the classic version should be as close as possible to the original.

1 Like

I bet you £1 that you can’t convince me they’re remaking D2.
Go ahead, try and earn it.

Have you read what you quoted at all… The question here is not whether they are remaking D2.

It, or rather the rumor of it, must be legitimate because Rhykker uploaded this video: https://youtu.be/iRLrP8cLQdw?t=696

However, he acknowledges that he is not familiar with the source and therefore may not be reliable.

He mentions that it will be renamed Diablo II Resurrected, which gives me some hope, not much, but some, that there could be some major improvements made. Otherwise, I don’t see a point in it. I still have my original D2:LoD installed and it runs just fine. My only disappointment is, with the last update where they removed the VidTest program, I can no longer use command line switches. No -3dx for Sven’s Glide Wrapper, no -skiptobnet to skip all the opening splash videos, no -w for Windowed Mode, etc.

I have come to hate the term “Remaster” as this usually translates to older games being configured to run through Dosbox or ScummVM. But, the game itself is essentially untouched. I prefer a “Remake”, like Square Enix did with Final Fantasy VII.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

As awesome as FF7 Remake is, I don’t really see the point of a Remake for D2.
D4 is the new take on what a “modern” Diablo 2 is.
D2s story isn’t exactly strong enough that it needs to be copied over to a new game.

A faithful Remaster is the only thing that makes sense imo.

1 Like

I agree. My only point was, if they’re going to do it, do it right.

I can respect that. But, unless there are some major graphics and features improvements I won’t be buying a copy.

I made that mistake with GOG’s Diablo + Hellfire. I don’t regret the purchase. It was only $9.99 USD. But, in comparison, I see no difference in my original Diablo + Hellfire, GOG’s Diablo, GOG’s Diablo (Classic) or GOG’s Hellfire.

If the remaster is able to remove all the Dupes and Imports from D2, then I am total in favor of it.

1 Like

I certainly think the graphical update should be significant. Not just a technical upgrade like d1 in GOG. Like everything in D2 would probably need to be redrawn.

The rumor is that the company making Crash Bandicoot remaster is making D2 Remaster too. That kind of graphical update would be fine imo.

(Obviously not talking about the specific graphical style used here)

Have you read the title of the thread at all?
“New Rumor/Leak - D2 Remaster”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hardly the most earth-shattering predictions to make at the time…

Remaster it Blizzard. Give it your best shot but just don’t destroy the original D2 in the process. We want to be able to logg on there if we found your remaster to be bad.

A facelift is definitely necessary but don’t make the artstyle more cartoony and colorful (like in WC3R). I’d accept some QOL changes added to the game such as autopick gold and maybe personal loot. Oh and increased stash size would be nice so we don’t have to use a dozen mules. But for the love of all that is evil, do not change the mechanics or the itemization. Do not increase the droprates and do not limit skills to 6 abilities. None of this D3 crap that holds your hand and makes everything easier for you, please. Watch how massive amount of players will flood the servers to play that game, including those that claim the mechanics are “obsolete”.

4 Likes

Yes, I have. The thread is not mine, however.

Original D2 servers fate would follow that of WC3 servers.

You can check the WC3 forums. I played a lot of WC3 back in the days and I have the game. What Blizzard made with the new version is they shut my ability to play the game online although I have payed for it and they have said many times they won’t shut their servers down. The same fate would follow D2 and you would lose that bet when the new D2 comes.

Moreover all old D2 mods are going bye-bye too since these won’t be playable on the new version.

Why should I want a new D2 then from the same company that made the worst game in the gaming history (new WC3)?

1 Like

Yes and that sucks and should not be accepted.

That does not follow.
If Blizzard want to take down the D2 servers they can do it with or without a Remaster.

Btw, can’t you still play original SC online? Even after the remaster released. Correct me if I am wrong about that :slight_smile:

Mods are for offline, so yes they would still work. Blizzard can’t prevent us from running our offline games thankfully.

Based on everything I have heard you can still install and play original Warcraft 3 offline as well.
Heck, I have old Warcraft 3 installed this very moment, though I haven’t tried to run it for quite a while. But presumably it still works.

I have no idea tbh. I remember they gave it free to everyone before the SC:R release, so it should be playable online.

No one can stop you playing offline the old version (I too have old WC3 on my PC atm) - the old D2 mods won’t work on the new version.

Of course not. That would be an unreasonable expectation tbh.
Preferably they should allow new mods for the remaster, but that is one thing I could see not happening.

Still, nothing would be lost. You could still play all the old mods.

Yes, theoretically you could always play on private servers, but the player pool would be way less than playing on official servers.

So, at one side we have the potential gain of shiny D2, while on the other side we have crap new D2 with losing servers and mods… I vote to leave D2 where it is.

Mods will still be playable just by installing the old version of the client.

Yes, but what about the mod support? Would modders continue to do mods for a dead game (if they are not allowed on new version)? I’d say the majority won’t.