New natalya is awful

PTR Nats was at least really smooth and enjoyable. I think the main complaint was that it needed differentiation from GoD/Strafe. I mean, sure, but this new setup is way worse QoL.

I wish the devs weren’t so crunched for time this patch. They seem to have a hard deadline here and not much time or resources to hit it.

4 Likes

DH is the new Crusader, what? I know that pain from Armor of Akkhan rework. I feel for you all. At least you guys still have GoD?

4 Likes

Well I wouldn’t go that far. DH has a generally high power level no matter the set and they’re all very versatile, smooth, and distinct playstyles (aside from Nat).

Crusader is getting left behind in more than one set by now. It’s pretty much AoV or LoD Bombs, or bust. They need a good look-over, hopefully by next patch.

1 Like

My issues with it are:

1. As soon as you detonate Spike Trap you lose the 75% damage reduction.
  2. Only Hatred spenders detonate Spike Traps. So it is easy to go out of resource.
  3. Caltrops can’t be dropped where the cursor is so you have to get up close and personal with monsters way to often and DHs aren’t the tankiest of classes.

Personally drop the caltrops and make multishot cost 0 hatred to use as the first set bonus and enemies hit by Multishot that are effected by Spike Trap take 100% more damage. At least that way DHs can play to there strength of being ranged damage dealers.

Also make the damage redution 75% for 10 seconds after dropping a trap.

6 Likes

My sad attempt at a comparison…

• Akkhan is to Natalya’s (clunk)
  • Marauders is to LoN Bomb (quality)
  • Shadow Impale is to Invoker Thorns (rgk-ness)
  • UE6 is to AoV Heaven’s Fury (sorta, but not really)
  • GoD Hungering Arrow is now superior to AoV Fist of the Heavens
  • LoN Rapid Fire is to Rolands AND Seekers
1 Like
  1. Not true. I tested this. If the new buff is shorter than the existing buff, you keep the existing one. If the new one is longer, you get the longer one.
  2. You can use the custom trigger rune. You’ll never use any Hatred at all.

My main problem is that it feels super buggy. There’s very little damage. The caltrops thing does not work at all. The detonations have no animation, instead all of the traps just disappear at once in a puff.

My second problem is there is no timing at all baked into the set. You just want to spam the traps as fast as possible. The hope of having the traps not auto cast was to give the player a reason to set them and then detonate them, like, you know, traps. Having to manually cast and detonate traps as fast as your fingers can smash the keyboard is an awful feeling.

4 Likes

I think I might have to try it in season for no other reason than to name my demon hunter “Ekbat De Sebat” because the rest of the name is too obvious.

Some things to set straight…

The caltrops pull does work. The main problem folks seem to have is 1) The description on the set is wrong. It should read “triggered” trap not “set trap” 2) You can’t play the set at range. 3) Gear for toughness and fight face to face. You can use gems to do this either by using Mutilation Guard or Esoteric or Gizzard. 4) Set your caltrops, cast spike traps at enemies further away, use your skill to detonate, the mobs are pulled on top of you, then fight them face to face. A rhythm should be found between laying your traps (preferably 10 of them) and detonating them and when to place a caltrop. If mobs start to disperse cast your spike traps at the ones that are escaping and detonating them should bring them back to you.

I’m not arguing that this is the way DH’s are supposed to play or that people choose DH to be pretend Barbarians or Crusaders. I’m just saying the set works like it’s supposed to which is totally different than thinking it’s broken because you can’t play at range.

2 Likes

Thank you for this description of the new playstyle of the set. To be honest, I think thats the only possibility anyway. Laying traps all around the screen for large AoE damage just wouldn’t work within the general D3 mechanics.

So instead of luring the demons into some distant traps and killing them from ambush, the DH have to lure all enemies to herself, while standing in the center of exploding traps.

It’s not exactly what I would call a proper DH fantasy, but it’s ok, I guess. At least, if the damage output is comparable to the other sets. Which could have been tested during the PTR. If there would have been a PTR for this …

1 Like

Just press caltrops and trigger at the same time while a trap is layed to pull stuff to you. Not that hard.

It was fun and fast. But there was a bug. OK, solve the bug and leave it fun and fast. But no, it is around Strafe again. No, destroy that. Make it slow and clumsy (AT BEST!) and turbomega boring. No fun at all. But no more Strafe (except with hazard Helltraper build). That’s the most important. Who cares if game is no fun!
Horrible…
Who would play this atrocity with alternative in Marauder or a bit buffed GoD? Maybe I am wrong, let’s wait and see…
But one thing is certain, the next Challenge Rift (i.e. randomly chosen inexperienced player without any knowledge of the game) with new Natalya will be in 10 mins duration :rofl:

For me the build is insultable since I have a handicap to play. The DH for me will be in the trash this season and I have no idea what I will play, in the worst case the DH for my self is ridiculous on the overhaul of the set. I have no idea that had the idea of putting the mechanism as the one but I think it did not have the tested high and it did not think of people with disabilities. Why make a replacement of the set if it is to destroy it later? Is it a trainee who did this?

Wud soooo love to have the spin to win build back the way it was. not sure y so many ppl wanted it changed :frowning:

2 Likes

Ive been playing it like A6 plalcon (crusader condemn). Casting traps is like when the phallanx avatars were uncapped. I ise zodiac & can keep vengeance up np.

I never did like Natalya’s. Even though it was, at one time, a powerful build, it just didn’t suit my play-style. (GoD, Unhallowed and Marauder’s are still my favorite builds).

I tried Patch 2.7.5 Nat’s last night and it will also go on the “back burner” for me.

However, one thing I’ve yet to see mentioned: Has anyone tried to run the new Nat’s in their Set Dungeon?

The new version is a step in the right (not spin to win) direction, but there are many issues. It essentially now feels like a gimped marauder build in which you are constantly re-summoning turrets while being more squishy and having to stand in or near melee.

1. Caltrops must be castable at range like a sentry turret, not dropped at your location
  2. Alternatively, caltrops are dropped below each of your deployed spike traps
  3. Caltrops pull effect on spike trap detonation needs to be a way larger radius because it’s barely noticeable now, even when playing custom trigger + generator build
  4. The 75% DR bonus needs to be changed to “gain 75% damage reduction if you have deployed at least one spike trap in the past 10 seconds”, so you don’t get gibbed once you blow up your traps
  5. The max number of deployed spike traps (with custom engineering, currently 10) must be increased to a significantly higher number like 20 or 40. Currently, you are spending way too much time deploying spike traps for the damage output they give, and there is essentially zero strategy around maximizing the 6p chain detonation bonus.
  6. Forcing the DH to spend significant time in or near melee is unacceptable without some further toughness bonus to the set, or a modified legendary power on the supporting item. One possibility (among many) is trag’oul coils giving you a shield for each spike trap detonation based on your maximum life (similar to wizard deflection skill)
1 Like

Never mind:

its because i need my 2 hands and a little concentration to play it, its not a lazy build, there are many lazy builds that u can play with 1 hand… but not this set…

1 Like

Correct. With the braindead super powerful builds on S27 many “casual” players now associate pressing multiple buttons with being “clunky”. If they want actual clunky builds, go play virtually any crusader or WD build. DH players have no idea how good they have it in their class, especially in this patch where THREE sets got buffed while entire other classes were ignored and left in the abyss.

By the way, the marauder build is unchanged and still remains powerful for both paragon farming and GR pushing. It also benefeits greatly from the S28 altar buffs. The DH class now has 4 powerful builds. The crusader class has zero.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? I could not get the pull effect to happen no matter what I did.
I put the traps around the DH away from the mobs. I put traps around the mobs. I put traps right under the mobs. Nothing ever happened.
Sometimes I had a set caltrops. Sometimes I had a caltrops that was triggered (obviously only when the mobs were right next to it).

As a separate point, I had what I felt like was a pretty good rhythm, but there was no damage. I was using the Lightning rune, so maybe that one is completely broken? And there was no visible detonation chain effect. The traps just kind of shrink and disappear.

By no damage, I mean, in NS I have 3300 paragon and I have decent gear, including a crafted primal weapon, and I was still struggling to get through a GR 100. I expected the mobs to just disappear at such a low level, but I had to set the traps and detonate them several times to clear them.

I’ll test it out some more with different runes, but I need a video or something that shows the pull effect, because I am not seeing it.

1 Like