New monk set Ideas

Ok, according to Nevalistis they will add a new set for each class.
So, I would like to hear as many proposals as possible because monk is my favourite class overall.
What do you think monk is most needed? a dps build? a tank build?, ranged or melee?..
I would love to see a “punching monk”, not waves, nor fireworks, no anything; just me, the demon and my fists.
Thank you for reading me :smile:

Well Raiment is the generator build with a weaker variant being the Dashing Strike build. Uliana is the Exploding Palm build. Sunwuko is LTK, WoL and TR. Inna’s is the generic buff to everything set. The only damage dealer that doesn’t have a set synergy is Cyclone Strike (besides Inna’s) and Sweeping Wind (SWK enabler and Inna’s).

Inna’s is already used as the zdps set so another set focused on zdps is not ideal.

A set somehow incorporating the various monk defensive abilities to buff Cyclone Strike and possibly other damage dealers in some way seems like the only gap without reworking all the other sets.

I am definitely curious as to what they will come up withfor a 5th class set.

Agreed, to be honest I’m very curious.

The only thing monk doesn’t do well is killing bosses. So perhaps the new set might give us that option.

Imo monks don’t really need another set, though I’m not complaining. We are more in need of supporting items and a good chunk of damage overall.

2 Likes

Flying dragon baser builds are pretty efficient at killing rg but yeah we dont really have explosive dmg on them.

Agree we don’t need another set. Our secondary skills are only 3, there isnt enough to make another set. Cyclone/sw seems lame to me. I d rather they remove TR from swk and build a new set specifically for it. We need to buff existing lame sets/legendary powers oppose to new sets unless they are willing to make a new secondary skill for us.

1 Like

Highly unlikely… but we can still hope!

Yeah, that’s what I meant… we can do it, but nothing like a Necro, DH or Sader is capable of.

Awesome idea, TR is an awesome skill that I think most monks would agree needs some love.

Honestly, I’d be rather happy with either of these ideas.

When i look over the entire monk skills, we are so problematic. All classes have problems to some degree, but almost 1/2 of our skill bases on defensive/healing/support skills. As a class we are born to be supports :sob:

Out of the dps skills pretty much all is tied to a set already. SSS is our highest damage skill, but its tied to U6 as a detonator. EP Pending doom can not self detonate. TR makes no sense in SWK. SWK is a combo of secondary skills tied with sweeping wind. If we can hope any, ideally SW should replacing TR to receive 15k%. This promotes SWK WOL to be melee oriented and perhaps utilize lightning (ancient pillar) oppose to the tyrant explosive blast. Personally, i favor AP over EB on WoL.

R6 is primary skills (Gen) + Technique (DS)
U6 is Technique (EP) + Focus (SSS)+Primary (Gen)
SWK is Secondary (WoL/LTK/TR) + Technique
Inna is Mantra based + Everything
??? New set could be Secondary + Focus + ??

TR (secondary) with cyclone strike (/ephiphany might make sense and offers play style different to the other sets. This set should allow mantle of channeling fit so no shoulders but with belt or amulet or weapon.

2 PC: Ephiphany gaines all runes
4 PC: Channeling cost is 50% while Ephiphany is active
6 PC: Damage is increased by xxx% while channeling.

Maybe lame… please discuss. (looks a lot like Akkhan :rofl:)

End of day, just buffing existing problematic sets / updating new legendary powers is good for me.

While this may opens up diversity in solo/casual farmings. It doesnt fix our issue locked in as support in meta groupings. With LoD gem, zmk healing can be redundant. S17 i am able to keep wiz with extremely low paragon (1800) alive on high tiers (140+) with as little as 100k globes (testing purposes).

Bazooka has overflowing damage even going super tanky setups. 5-6 min 150s zmk is irreplacable, but speed 140+ tiers, options can open up. If new set is indeed not just a wet dream, this can potentially shake up meta. Barb is unfortunately tied wit bazooka as long as IP/spear still in action. Monk has a chance to go dps, but we need self sustainable builds. Crusader/DH/WD all has better chance than monk if monk steps down in meta SPEED tiers.

I’d love an an epiphany based set, just afraid they won’t do it because we already have Inna’s as a global damage modifying set.

Though, if it was based on Epiphany. We might even find parts of it usefull for zmonk depending on what it actually does.

I know what you mean about Wizards, though. I haven’t played as high as you, and my group doesn’t play pure 4p meta tbh… but even at GR110 while our characters were still in regular legendaries at about 800ish paragon… I felt useless as zmonk other than stacking trash for my Vyr/Chant wiz friend… My healing wasn’t needed, Archon was taking 0 damage anyway. Same as the 2 Shadow DH picking off the elites. In fact, I was just healing myself. Health was spiking up and down rapidly. Had a good 100m toughness in town too.

That’s a good thing imo. If we could keep up with our Int overlords. But there was nothing for me to do here. My damage at that level was pathetic by comparison… Couldn’t make a LoN build yet, and I won’t burden anyone with my skillz with R6 (or lack thereof).

Gotta say, I was not expecting an announcement like this. To actually get a new set at this point of the games life… It’s huge!

Just hope it’s not OP or worthless. Who knows, they have genuinely surprised us… It can happen again.

I think a thorns Inner Sanctuary build would be a very fun play style. Something along the lines of the new stone gauntlets where as you move you go into a trance state and gain more thorns damage. it would work with “forbidden palace” for instance where enemies are slowed but they can not pass the forbidden zone created by the monk and as they do they are hit with more thorns damage.
The set would need to work with heart of iron and maybe gain and a rework of staff of kyro. I understand the need for damage reduction, but I would like to see more life as a way to reduce damage then a reduction modifer…
2 pc set would give thorns damage number
4 pc set would increase the area of effect to double
6 pc set would increase life by 3000% and gain thorns close to that.

The set can be messed with but general idea in a thorns monk using Inner Sanctuary.

I would love to see an Epiphany set. Every other class has a ‘Permanent Ultra form’ Set, but even with massive CDR it’s rough to keep Epiphany up full time.
Maybe pairing it with something like Cyclone Strike to pull monsters to you rather than having to chase them down (the monk has very few ranged attacks)

2 piece, Epiphany is always active and has all runes
4 piece, casting a Spirit Spender also casts Cyclone Strike
6 piece +% damage for every monster within 25 yards

This keeps Epiphany up, allows you to use whatever fighting skills you prefer, and encourages ‘getting in the fray’ which is the best way to play a monk.

Additional support for Rift Guardians could be similar to the new skill on Eye of the Storm.
+% damage when exactly one monster is within 25 yards of you.
alternate suggestion: gain +% damage when you cast Cyclone Strike when exactly one monster is within 25 yards of you.

my suggestion would be kind of

• 2p: wearing a daibo gives you x% dmg reduction (suggested 80%)
  • 4p: all affixes on your primary weapon are doubled
  • 6p: using a daibo adds y% to your dmg delt by spirit spenders. (suggested kind of 15000%-20000% or so)

and here is the thing: its made for spirit heavy builds (tr and wol). wol needs to use kyo blade so rs wont be in there, which is a restriction but makes it possible to have a huge buff on 6p bonus and it might be that tr abd wol can be on one line with lod wol as it is now. but you are free to toy aeound with ltk, sss or palm :slight_smile: