New interview regarding QoL changes

The downside with that system is that it rewards people under personal loot rules for having multiple instances running.

Multiboxers using 4 copies in a baalrun would get on average 1/2 the loot from that game, and with FFA loot that same multiboxer would get 1/8 on average.

This is a problem with FFA loot and personal loot being on the same realm, and would give extra advantages than already had by multiboxers.

2 Likes

Yea, I can see the point there, but that is where you would have to discern and ask if anyone has another character in the game, etc. In public games this could be a problem, but if you are in a preset team/clan/community then it won’t matter as much because you decide beforehand. Also, starting out most games including public there will be 8 different players in the game, and no one multiboxing until later when people start to rush, etc. So, drops would still be fair starting out. Just gotta speak up, and find out who’s who in game! :slight_smile:

Yes I was just pointing out it does change things, I could care less about multiboxing. It could cause a problem where all multiboxers would pick ploot games and all pickit users would use FFA games. That could get ugly.

1 Like

couldnt they just use click-it (pickit? idk) to auto pick up stuff in FFA games for a chance at the same or more loot in the first place? :thinking:

Considering this was in the context of the timing of a second game mode (status quo and modern), I am sure that based on familiarity of a player with thousands of hours in D2 that they are familiar enough with the game to make a selection. Why should they be obliged to re-familiarize themselves with D2 and not given the option to choose based on their pre-existing game knowledge?

It appears to me that your are mistaken in your assessment.

Excluding WoW that has banned key mirroring software, all other Blizzard games allow this. Multiboxers commonly have all game instances opened simultaneously on the same computer and tend to play the same class/build on all instances. This allow all the character to move, attack, collect loot, etc… in sync.

Therefore, in an FFA game, multiboxers would not get 1/8 pf the loot (assuming 8 player game) but potentially far more than half. In that regard, it is a personal loot game where non-multiboxers will get a larger percentage of the loot if in a game with a multiboxer.

If you are assuming that the multiboxer just has all the accounts in game, but only one instance is in the “killing zone” then

1. In a personal loot game, only one multiboxer account would get loot in a multiplayer game from monster drops since the other accounts were absent when the monster died. The items than could be traded to the other accounts. Of note, the other multiboxer accounts can not scavenge uncollected gear from a cleared area.

2. In an FFA game, the multiboxer account can scavenge gear in a cleared zone even if the were absent when a monster died that dropped the item.

Therefore, multiboxers have a greater likelihood of getting more gear in FFA games than personal/instanced loot games.

Public games Micro, are typically not clearing whole areas, they are Baalruns, so your points on scavenging are completely baseless, contextually.

I think it likely that input broadcasting software will be banned in this Blizzard game as well, I don’t think your point here is valid, either.

Basically, all of your points on this matter have a very, very fine line where you may be correct in very niche instances, but it’s extremely clear to anyone paying attention to the reality of what happens in D2 public games, that it is far more likely to work the way I describe.

It’s honestly laughable someone would even make the argument that you may get more loot by scavenging with a multibox account than being in the throne room with personal loot. This is not reality, and considering your experience with the game, I can say we both know it to be reality, so it’s disingenuous.

1 Like

The argument that I routinely here is that public multiplayer games are for xp while single player games are for loot. Could it be in part because of the multiplayer loot system that this stratification exists?

Have you seen any comment to support this, in consideration that it is still allowed in all Blizzard games except WoW?

My argument was with key mirroring software AND multiboxing that the idea that a multibox account only get 1/8 of the gear was incorrect, irrespective of game location such as the throne room or any other area in the game. With key input mirroring software, the multiboxer can get far more. This is an undeniable fact.

This was actually what you wrote that I claim is incorrect.

Scavenging is real in D2 and does occur so that too is an undeniable fact.

1 Like

WoW is the only relevant Blizzard title when discussing input mirroring software, so I’m merely arguing Blizzard’s default position. It is irrelevant that SC2, for example, has no rule against it, as it gives no advantage, it’s an illogical argument.

Public Baalruns are for loot and experience. For some specs, it is very difficult to solo MF, and as such players use the throneroom as a half-decent way to get gear, although less efficient than solo mfing with an mf spec.

Your point on input mirroring software having an effect on looting/scavenging doesn’t seem to have merit at all. If the inputs are being mirrored, the items would have to line up just right, and could only be anywhere near efficient on a boss-drop, definitely not for scavanging items. It seems completely irrational to believe that would be an issue.

It is relevant to D3, the only diablo franchise that currently is on modern battlenet. Have you personally multiboxed ever with key mirroring software?

For clarity, my comment on scavenging was related to a difference in FFA loot and instanced loot systems. It is unrelated to the topic of multiboxing.

I am unsure of Blizzard’s position of input mirroring software on D3. If you have a direct quote stating Blizzard is officially okay with it for D3, I will concede your point. Until then, we should agree that their default position is the one with multiple official statements supporting it.

Your second point confuses me, because you directly quoted me talking about multiboxing, then responded accordingly. Clearly that must have been a misquote, fine, we agree that people occasionally will scavenge in D2, but it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

The quote is the fact that Blizzard explicitly said that key mirroring software was banned in WoW and did not list any other Blizzard games.

Policy Update for Input Broadcasting Software (worldofwarcraft.com)

Of note, no similar message has been sent out in relation to any other Blizzard game to my knowledge. I copied most of that link below

"As World of Warcraft has evolved, our policies have also evolved to support the health of the game and the needs of the players. We’ve examined the use of third-party input broadcasting software, which allows a single keystroke or action to be automatically mirrored to multiple game clients, and we’ve seen an increasingly negative impact to the game as this software is used to support botting and automated gameplay. The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients will soon be considered an actionable offense. We believe this policy is in the best interests of the game and the community.

We will soon begin issuing warnings to all players who are detected using input broadcasting software to mirror commands to multiple accounts at the same time (often used for multi-boxing). With these warnings, we intend to notify players that they should not use this software while playing World of Warcraft. Soon thereafter, the warnings will escalate to account actions, which can include suspension and, if necessary, permanent closure of the player’s World of Warcraft account(s). We strongly advise you to cease using this type of software immediately to maintain uninterrupted access to World of Warcraft."

It was not about multibosing. It was simply showing another difference between how FFA and instanced loot work where scavenging is not possible with instanced loot to collect monster item drops when not in the same zone upon monster death.

Right. So we don’t actually have confirmation whether it is going to be a bannable action in D3 or not, just as many rules in the EULA are intentionally vague. There have been many MVP posts advocating for extreme caution to players who think they are “safe” to use these programs in Diablo3, because they clearly know the EULA could be interpreted many different ways. Input broadcasting software is in no way condoned by Blizzard in Diablo3, and people who use it are likely violating the EULA, whether enforced or not.

I will not be surprised if they officially make a statement against it in the future for all Blizzard titles, but lets for a second assume you’re correct.

Input broadcasting software would still only be useful for the fast-click boss drops, and not throne-tele sniping, as such it is absolutely not logical to think a multiboxer even using key mirroring software would be able to snipe as many items on average in a public FFA Baalrun, as a multiboxer who is in a personal loot game. It doesn’t make sense, mathematically.

3 Likes

Actually, it was/is allowed in D3. For D3, it is one key press does one action per game client.

I am right currently.

Have you ever multiboxed with key mirroring software? From experience, your idea is inaccurate.

Can you link me to a Blizzard post stating it is, in fact, allowed in D3? thanks in advance.

My recollection (which may be inaccurate) was that this was asked in the old D3 forum and received a blue response. Unfortunately, Blizzard archived that old forum and they are now inaccessible. The new D3 forum came into existence in July 9, 2019 and replaced the old forum.

From the WoW link, key input software was allowed and then they changed the policy. Why would you think that it was not allowed in D3 when it was allowed in WoW at the same time?

MissCheetah has much more extensive knowledge than I do on internal Blizzard matters, and she had this to say in Nov '20

***That is not a safe assumption. The EULA applies to all Blizzard games and is really vague with regard to third party software.

It is very much an “at your own risk” situation. Blizz tends to have similar rules for all their games and refused to clarify D3 restrictions when asked on the CS forums. Orly intentionally did not step in and correct the answers that were given - which tends to mean they are correct.***

when responding to this post -

I think until Blizzard says something specifically about D3, D3 players that use input key mirroring are safe. If warden detects a D3 player using input mirroring, they would not be banned unless Blizzard provided an announcement that applied to D3 or more broadly to all of Blizzard’s games.

Honestly, the same principle applies to things like D2JSP. The sad fact remains, Blizzard is intentionally vague on these matters. I would love for them to give more concrete answers, so that I could base gaming decisions around it.

Is JSP against policy? is image broadcasting software? it’s super vague, and I would love for Blizzard to respond like they did for WoW.

That quote from MissCheetah was after the WoW change that created uncertainty about whether this applied or would apply in the future to other Blizzard games. To date, Blizzard has made no other statement in relation to any other game.

So if you trust her then… previously, she stated (pre-WoW change) in December 2019:

The language was vague then, it’s vague now.

Did Blizzard explicitly state it was ok before they officially said it wasn’t? I am not sure.

MissCheetah is typing…

I think her point was not to risk it since we did not have official clarification after the change in WoW.

We shall see.

Yes, that was the policy AT THE TIME. That policy changed this year.

THIS ^^^ is what I would say now after the changes to WoW policy. I would caution people to err on the side of caution with D3 and D2R as well.

They don’t technically have to warn us.

The only thing Blizzard said back then was (paraphrased): “While multiboxing is not supported, it is allowed. We will not approve or condone any software associated with it as we don’t control that software.”

Since then, that stance has changed - only in that they specifically prohibit any software or hardware that mirrors keystrokes- and they have warned WoW players in particular because they are the ones who do most of the MB gameplay.

1 Like