New interview regarding QoL changes

I have been playing D2 since 2001/2002(since 1.09 patch)! I started out playing when it was, “Cow Runs”, and not “Baal Runs”! I have played D2 every year, and every patch! It has come a long way, and even though there were changes made especially from 1.09 to 1.10 I still played because I love playing D2! If the Devs decide to change D2: R to have more changes, whether it be QoL, or balance changes, or content updates, or expansions, etc. I will still play because I love playing D2! Long live D2/D2: R! :smiley:

1 Like

The reddit survey has sampling bias, but still informs (>4,000 respondents where >99% self-reported to be D2 players):

Should there be a separate inventory space for charms?
• The majority (58%) is for a separate charm inventory, but charms should only work in
that charm inventory
• About one third (30%) is against a charm inventory
• 7% are for a charm inventory, but charms should also work in the normal inventory
• 5% are unsure

1 Like

65 % vs 30 % doesn’t seem to me to be massively divided for a complete rework of the inventory system for a remaster.

Maybe the devs will agree with me, maybe they won’t.

I would be more likely to accept the change if the numbers were more in line with the cow king portal, as it seems the vast majority want to be able to reopen forever.

I feel they will at some point add a charm inventory. I still think balance changes that big should only be added on a separate realm.

1 Like

honestly with the amount of people where who CLEARLY dont understand what a charm inventory is… i dont think any survey that specifically tells you in detail what it is before hand is going to have reliable results… therefore… idk

same reason “personal loot” polls arn’t reliable i literally had to make a thread explaining what personal loot was.

as for pub pvp… thats 99% of what i did in pvp … people still have basic rules like “no sorb”
id personally like a no CTA rule but that never stuck :frowning:

as for PK… i mean… ok that is a fair point. but i cant even remeber the last “year” i was pked… in d2… soo i dont think that has anywhere near enough of an impact to even be more than just a sidenote.

and there is one thing it does affect that i am purposely not bringing up and i never will unless someone else does first, becuase it actaully has merrit… but i dont care about it… so. yeah… unless you can figure out what that is… and point it out… and so far nmo one has… meaning clearly its not an issue if no one can even see it…

Who wouldn’t understand what a charm inventory is?

It’s literally two words that are both extremely self explanatory.

I’ve yet to find a single person who doesn’t understand those two words on this forum, yet.

Agreed. I wish that a survey would use the term "“instanced loot” followed by the definition of “instanced loot” explicitly explained.

2 Likes

i agree that charm inventory would 100% change the game in several ways. When i was playing the D2R alpha it felt VERY different with just the auto-gold pick up and extra big stash with a shared tab. i just recently got back into OG D2 prior to Alpha and i could totally feel the difference.

That being said. I still want charm inventory. ┐(・ิL_・ิ)┌

(and future balance changes to skills) :zipper_mouth_face:

well some abnormally-larger-than-zero amount people have some strange idea that u can make it smaller or larger than 4x10.

and because its a terrible name as it describes your “old inventory space” rather than the fact you’re simply adding “new” inventory space that charms wont work in.

its a very bad name for what it is.

The longer I dwell here the more I believe it is advantageous for Blizzard to make multiple realms.

How many? I don’t know.

Definitely 1 standard and one ‘QoL’ realm, but many people don’t want personal loot even if they want other new things.

I wonder if they’d consider 3 realms but I doubt it.

I worry we are either stuck with 1 realm a lot of people won’t be happy with, or a standard realm and a personal loot realm with extra QoL and balance changes.

It will be interesting to see.

1 Like

Id bet itll be one realm a lot of people arent happy with! Or one split several months after release.

But what small additions do you guys think theyre contemplating? The evidence so far seems to point to small additions.

Cube recipes
Clock
Toggle loot display
Trade network? (Id miss player-to-player trading. Maybe an ingame post to coordinate trades rather than actually make them? Sounds like too much work, though.)

What else do you think falls within the realm of reason based on the info we have now?

ya this is Micro’s dream. Its something im pretty sure is going to happen. i just don’t believe it’ll happen prior to launch. Shouldn’t be too long post-launch though.

Yeah I think 2 ladder seasons (6 months) would be a great time to create that fork. Long enough for people to become familiar with the game enough to see if they want to branch out, or stick to what they’ve been playing for the next season.

What I do not want to see, is constant updates on either realm, creating a situation where sought after items change in value on a dime.

2 Likes

This is one of the reasons i would react so harshly in the beginning when people would demand change here in the forums. The “slippery slope” cliche where it spirals into so many changes that it actually destroys the entire game even if they are on a “separate realm”.

1 Like

Purists/status quo-ers are happy and modern players have their options that appeal to them. Win-win.

Since some of us played D2/D2:LoD for thousands of hours, I think that we are pretty familiar with the game already. There is no need to delay based on “familiarity”.

1 Like

You can’t just randomly speak for everyone who played OG D2, like me, as if its fact. You get on my case all the time when i do that about people not wanting changes. at least be consistent with your arguments. lol.

If you have played thousands of hours of D2, I would hope that you are familiar with the game.

Nice try, your argument was there was no reason to delay the changes based upon familiarity from returning players. As if you speak for every veteran who played OG. I personally want to re-experience the entire game, very slowly, in its purest form on launch. Then would be nice to get some balancing on another realm later on. So right there, im a veteran D2 player who does want there to be a delay for changes.

2 Likes

I’m sure some people are positive which realm they’d want to play on.

I am also sure some would like some time familiarizing themselves with the game before making a decision which realm to play on.

I think they’re very unlikely to have 2 realms upon release. 1 full ladder or 2 I think is more than reasonable to add personal loot, charm inventory, drop rate changes, runeword changes, unique/sets, etc.

1 Like

I think that they have some plans for the game beyond release. Right now is just tailoring the main qols that they want to approach to make the game an enjoyable experience for all platforms while staying Diablo 2. That one interview about “not fixing” sort of deflated my interest, but now it really feels like they want to put the game in a good place. My biggest fear for delaying stuff was that it would just not happen. Still sort of stinks we don’t get much in updates to the the actual news portion, only though these media interviews, but at least they are showing that they are paying attention to the community.

There is probably only going to be 1 realm. If they do implement say personal loot, etc. and have optional toggles they could make it to where there are optional checkboxes at game creation.

Example:
Game Name
Act 1 Start
Password (Optional)

Game Description (Optional)
D2R start
Max. Number of Players 8

__ Character Difference __ Levels

* Normal __ Nightmare __ Hell

* Personal Loot

In this example Personal Loot is checked. The person who created the game, and anyone who joins this game will automatically have Personal Loot because that is what this particular game calls for.

If Personal Loot is unchecked then the person who created the game, and anyone who joins this game will automatically have Shared Loot(FFA) because that is what this particular game calls for.

When searching for games you can select Join, and either look for Personal Loot games, or Shared Loot(FFA) games. This way everyone can still be on one realm, and no splitting of the community. At certain times I may want to join Personal Loot games, or other times I may want to join Shared Loot(FFA) games. As a personal preference I prefer they don’t implement Personal Loot, but if they did we could choose at any time to join either type of game. Also, both Personal Loot, and Shared Loot(FFA) would still account for the same number of “total drops” so that way no one is getting more items, or having 8x the drops because “total drops” would still be the same for Personal Loot as if it was a Shared Loot(FFA) game.

1 Like