New interview regarding QoL changes

Developers talk about people wanting more QoL changes, they say they are against increasing the inventory size, and they have changed the color of frozen monsters among other things.

15 Likes

So glad they’re addressing the weird bright cold/frozen state color.

6 Likes

Same! That teal color was horrendous to be honest.

4 Likes

The game is still a work in progress - this was a tech alpha - so even from the design side we have a lot of thoughts about [additional] quality of life updates and ways we can make them better.

Yeah i am pretty sure that we are far from release when i read this above.

7 Likes

Yeah, that kind of made me think it’s coming around November or something. Hopefully they can improve the feel of the game with some more QoL then. They can’t be drastic changes of course though.

3 Likes

“The line is simple in that we don’t want to make the game easier,” Rob Gallerani says. “We want to remain faithful, so there’s a difference between making the game easier and making the game easier to play. With some feedback and requests coming in it’s easy for us to not do a thing because that will make the game easier. When people say, ‘We don’t want to worry about arrows anymore, give us infinite arrows’, or more broadly, ‘I want a giant inventory’. Stuff like that removes important choices; do I pick this item up or do I leave it behind? Do I go back to town now? Making the inventory bigger means more charms in your bag and that starts to change what the game is.”

I like this particular bit a lot.

13 Likes

"we’re referencing Roman armoury for the Amazon.”

This IS GRANDMA!

6 Likes

i like this

“The line is simple in that we don’t want to make the game easier,” Rob Gallerani says. “We want to remain faithful, so there’s a difference between making the game easier and making the game easier to play. With some feedback and requests coming in it’s easy for us to not do a thing because that will make the game easier. When people say, ‘We don’t want to worry about arrows anymore, give us infinite arrows’, or more broadly, ‘I want a giant inventory’. Stuff like that removes important choices; do I pick this item up or do I leave it behind? Do I go back to town now? Making the inventory bigger means more charms in your bag and that starts to change what the game is.”

2 Likes

Another quote from the article:

The team also wanted to gauge the fanbase’s reaction to some of the small quality of life changes that had been implemented, such as automatic gold pick-up. “For the most part people really liked them,” Gallerani says. “In fact they want to see more. The game is still a work in progress - this was a tech alpha - so even from the design side we have a lot of thoughts about [additional] quality of life updates and ways we can make them better.”
“A lot of the feedback has been specific, low level, little things across the board,” Gallerani continues. “The community has been amazing, we have sites of people putting together surveys and PowerPoints for us. It’s awesome to see them share how they feel about it.”

“We can’t promise that we can or will change everything,” Lead Artist Chris Amaral adds. “But when there are things we agree with, we can push them a little further.”

2 Likes

Yeah, this tells me that they’re open to smaller changes imo. They’re really against a charm inventory though, sadly. I don’t agree with their whole stance on more space being an issue if charms are still limited. Just glad to hear that they do want to add more QoL stuff in.

4 Likes

Most likely given the comment about removing decisions.

However, it was interesting to see when they discussed making he inventory bigger, the discussion was primarily about increasing power and making the game easier. In Blizzard’s second survey a dedicated charm inventory was listed as a QoL feature.

3 Likes

Yeah this got my attention aswell.
While it doesn’t specifically say there won’t be a charm inventory they clearly state that having limited inventory is an important choice because if you put all the charms in it you’re limited with what to pickup.

I also love how they described Diablo III as a great game.
Probably just being polite :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s true. I wish they’d address an actual charm inventory in these interviews and not just increasing inventory size as a whole. A charm inventory wouldn’t lead to increased power imo.

3 Likes

Im kind of against charm inventory however if they’d find a middle ground for it like for example making a charm inventory but half a normal inventory size and charms work only there?
That would make game actually harder because you’d be limited with charm power while freeing your inventory space.

2 Likes

At this point, not having a charm inventory isn’t going to bother me too much. I’ll just use like 5 or 6 gcs and keep a few slots open. I’ve just never understood how they thought that limiting what you can pick up because of charms in your inventory was a good mechanic to add to a loot driven ARPG. Lol.

I think too many people would rage about being limited to a smaller amount of charms though, especially in PvP.

4 Likes

I’m against charm inventory being apart of the main game modes (sc, hc, exp and classic), but if charm inventory was in a separate game mode, much like softcore, hardcore, classic and expansion, I’d be okay with it.

1 Like

QoL changes doesn’t mean itll cause any type of delay. They’ve made it abundantly clear nothing major will be implemented. So any QoL changes will be minor and quickly implemented. Beta in the next few weeks guys, chill. If they are against inventory changes then they are definitely not doing anything big.

Exactly. They aren’t getting massive change feedback. Any actual changes they are considering ARE in fact very minor, but will have a “large impact” on QoL. Such as the auto-gold and larger/shared stash.

2 Likes

This is what most people that want new content/changes want, a D2R classic server with 1.14 untouched, and another global server that will have D2R but with content updates and changes balances ect.

2 Likes
  1. It depends on your definition of major versus what the developers think with their decision making criteria.

2. The extent of the impact of a QoL change and the ability for it to be encoded it into the game is not necessarily positively correlated.

Not precisely true.

The quote on a request for a “giant inventory” was:

more broadly, ‘I want a giant inventory’. Stuff like that removes important choices; do I pick this item up or do I leave it behind? Do I go back to town now? Making the inventory bigger means more charms in your bag and that starts to change what the game is.”

2 Likes

Of course it does. Interview clearly shows that they are still in the process of implementing QoL changes and they are not finished. We can maybe hope for beta soon which in mi opinion will be pretty long even 3 +months and then shortly after release.

You have to read between the lines, they said that they like detailed feedback so they can react to it. Alpha was very limited and they for example just only recently changed freeze effect. Whole game in beta will have huge feedback and they will want to have it perfect and there will be a lot of think to work on before it will be finished. Thats why i think that beta will be long.

1 Like