New interview regarding QoL changes

A larger inventory isn’t the same as a charm inventory and the effects are different.

Ya gotta stop obsessing over those oranges when we’re talking about apples.

Going back to town every 5-10 minutes because of a full inventory is completely fine and the expected behavior of the current inventory. Going back every 30 seconds is not.

3 Likes

Well you don´t have to use an inventory full of charms in that case.

It´s your decision to do that - the game is not that hard that you´re required to do so.

And it´s also your decision to pick something up - or not.

This stuff contributes to the uniqueness of D2 - and gladly Blizzard knows that very well.

2 Likes

Guys, if you want to just discuss the charm inventory, let’s do it in the big topic about a charm inventory. I’m 100% for it though.

I’m not doubting that charm inventory will contribute to many players’ quality of life.

It is also a balance change. It’s indisputable.

Sorry for that, thanks for the article! I’ll go back to my lurking.

Np lol just figured it’s more constructive to do it in the charm thread. There’s already a huge discussion on it here:

It doesn’t matter precisely what you, I, or another forum member thinks. The only opinion that counts is Blizzards. Blizzard listed a dedicated charm inventory as one QoL feature that included other features such as an ingame clock.

I agree, it’s their game they can do whatever they like. It’s still a change that will influence the balance in both pubPvP and PvM. This point is a mathematical one, and truly quite irrational to try to dispute.

For my part, neither charm inventory nor stackable gems/runes are anywhere near my “hard line” of not buying the game.

I will not refund unless they make some really, really asinine decisions.

I don’t think either of these two decisions would be asinine, but they are not without changes to the balance of the game, either.

2 Likes

Yep, I thought he was referring to the Reddit survey too.

1 Like

The effects are exactly the same, as you have already mentioned. You may not feel it is but then you would be contradicting yourself.

You don’t go back to town every 30 seconds unless you are picking up blues. You go back every 5-10 minutes unless you farm quicker in the endgame.

So yes, a charm inventory is a larger inventory.

1 Like

At the beginning I nearly pick up every blue items just to get anough money to buy potions / Scrolls. Later game you don’t pick up bad items, because you know what’s bad and what you shouldn’t pick up.

If you are a person that picks up everything. I can understand it’s very boring to TP back to town every 5 - 10 minutes, but that is your problem and not ours.

I’m very happy there is no charm or bigger inventory spaces.

2 Likes

your correct… but… “30 seconds”? i mean yeah its possible u get two good drops that both take up a large space that u need to pick up before u finish a normal run… but not that likely.
if you going back every 30 seconds your picking up stuff u shouldn’t be, your you just got an insane about of very large very good items drop very fast

How is he correct? He’s trolling at this point. You’re delusional if you think the devs weren’t talking about charm inventory in that interview.

No one has even proposed the idea of a larger inventory. There have been a million suggestions about a charm inventory.

He is seriously grasping at straws and it lowers his credibility on every other topic he discusses (trolling).

That accessibility has led to many people asking for an ability bar for the traditional keyboard and mouse input too. “Something like that would change what you’re used to from Diablo II.” Rob Gallerani comments. “Would that make it not feel like D2 anymore? Would it feel more like Diablo III? Which is a great game, but a different game. We’ve been having and continue to have these sorts of discussions a lot. But, we’re happy that when the feedback came back, people said that it felt like D2. - Directly correlates controller skillbar to still feeling like Diablo 2, even if it isn’t something you are used to. Pretty sure this is meaning skillbar for mouse and keyboard is on the table, since it will change no mechanics that will not already be there by having controller support, which has had favorable responses.

r more broadly, ‘I want a giant inventory’. Stuff like that removes important choices; do I pick this item up or do I leave it behind? Do I go back to town now? Making the inventory bigger means more charms in your bag and that starts to change what the game is.” - Directly states that if they increase the inventory itself, you’ll stuff more charms into it for more power. However, a charm only inventory would not change what is already possible, and what a good number of people do anyways (run full charms and cube). While personally, I would rather either have instanced loot or widen the funnel of items people are willing to pick up through class balance, it still wouldn’t change the point of decision making. You would still be making decisions on what charms you were going to place in your finite space. Classic runs with the same inventory but without charms, so the idea of having more potions and such is sort of nullified. It also fits into the theme of not making the game easier (as theoretically, you can fill inventory with charms anyways) but would make the game easier to play.

This article is at least shining some light now on the Blizzard surveys and what they consider as “changing the game” or “making the game easier” vs “Game ease of playability”

Question #3 on the reddit survey (which I would assume is the graphs the devs were talking about in this article) states: Should the inventory space be increased? - Answers being, 44% yes but with separate charm inventory, 32% no, 20% pure yes, rest not sure.

That’s my point. A charm inventory IS a larger inventory. Hence it won’t be added if the devs stick to what they said in this interview.

4 Likes

Read the above points, it is not something that will be beyond what is already possible. They are concerned that giving biigger overall inventory would increase power because more space = more charms in that space. Considering that they referenced both the reddit survey (since the infinite arrows question came from that) and Blizzard launched their own surveys, both of which had charm inventory on it, it would lead to that being something on the table still. It also makes controller play easier to play, without making the game itself easier.

The game is still a work in progress - this was a tech alpha - so even from the design side we have a lot of thoughts about [additional] quality of life updates and ways we can make them better.”“A lot of the feedback has been specific, low level, little things across the board,” Gallerani continues. “The community has been amazing, we have sites of people putting together surveys and PowerPoints for us. It’s awesome to see them share how they feel about it.”

“We can’t promise that we can or will change everything,” Lead Artist Chris Amaral adds. “But when there are things we agree with, we can push them a little further.” - This meshes with an earlier interview too where it was stated things that the devs wants as well, but were unsure of player responses to them. Also meshes with the “and more” on the game’s description page. Gamble refresh was not an advertised feature, but it was there during alpha. There are still some more surprises to see before launch I’m going to say.

Sure it’s possible they could add anything. But it’s clear they were talking about a charm inventory, and any other inventory change during that interview. It’s unlikely they would add a charm inventory at this point, based on what they said.

1 Like

No it wasn’t, they made a direct correlation between more inventory = more charms in it. The seperate charm inventory isn’t a bigger inventory, it is just a place charms work (if they do it right unlike PD2 where items still can go into it).

Most of the no changes crowd disregarded the reddit survey as nothing and nonsense, even said the Blizzard surveys were nothing and just were info gathering for Diablo 4 (despite the fact that the questions related directly to Diablo 2 and seemed mostly to come from this forum). Yet, here we are with the devs giving an interview and directly refering to the reddit survey, even if not by name.

They didn’t make a direct correlation. They made a generalized correlation that a charm inventory leads to more charms, which is true.

I bolded the generalized parts, and it’s clear this includes a charm inventory.