New ancients COMPLETELY NULLIFIES legendaries

Right now, they are proposing the removal of Ancient Legendaries, this is great news. I suggested this in my post: Please no more USELESS legendaries

However, they are proposing some sort of consumable that gives an additional affixes to rare items. This seems like it could basically nullify legendaries themselves…

I recommend an alternative, with ancient RELICS, they could give some sort of additional bonus to your skill-tree choices, but you can only consume up to 3 of these at a time. So sort of another take on passive skills, but reinforcing the skill-tree instead.

These relics could have different tiers as well:

• Common
  • Imperial
  • Sacred
  • Majestic
  • Ethereal

Each of them providing a greater enhancement to a specific skill-tree node.

not sure about the system specific but i would also like to see more improvement in the skill system rather than more stats on items

1 Like

You have to understand the problem Blizz is attempting to solve here: You need progression of items with the best items being increasingly rare. They’ve found that players love the idea of “build-defining” legendary affixes where the item enables you to play in new and cool ways. They want to preserve that, and it’s a great idea.

However, the problem is that you have to make those things accessible to players so they can enjoy the game. They solved this in D3 by making legendaries fairly common drops, however, it shortened the end-game. It didn’t take long before you had perfect gear. This is why they added ancients and primals to promote the grind long-term for players pushing GRs.

This solution is cleaner:
-You make the legendary affixes available with the consumable
-Then you keep legendary rare and BiS, so it actually feels legendary when you get one.

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing any of this in a PTR or patch notes…

Oh, another D4 thread… the game is half a decade away. Stop.

7 Likes

go play D3
dont mind us

i dont think, they want to keep the leg, best in slot
they rather want to spread the best in slot idea to many different items, depending on your preferences
so there can be more different builds with different items best in slot
be it the original legendary or a specific rare with the legendary affix or even a magic
thats the idea

What I’m understanding is that getting the perfectly rolled rare + consumable is going to be just as rare as getting the legendary. If that’s the case, they’ve got a great solution.

Casuals have access to the build-defining affixes and a means of power progression from finding better rares to augment with the consumable, but if the RNG gods smile on you, you still feel like you’ve found something of value.

What I’m concerned about is that they’ll shift the spectrum so that rare + consumable will be BiS, and the legendary becomes instant crafting materials. That destroys the entire concept of having legendaries, and its something they really need to guard against. If it’s going to be in the game, it needs to have a purpose. If they’re going to call it “legendary”, it needs to actually be strong enough to be legendary.

1 Like

yeap
thats the main concern
legendaries shouldnt always be BiS but they should somehow stand out
if ANY item can have a legendary affix, they are just an other precrafted rare

Wow, I find both your posts totally on point. I agree with both of your solutions as well. Way to ridiculous how easy it got to get all the cool legendary gear in D3 totally devalued it. Ancients and primal’s were an okay band aid solution but still should never be necessary and it’s a little bit ridiculous so I am glad they said they are getting rid of ancients.

Yes me too I made a post about this in another. I am actually okay though if Rare + Consumable are sometimes best in socket. I just think it should be REALLY rare/unlikely to be able to find a rare in addition to the consumable that is this powerful. If its as rare as it should be the legendaries will retain their value and still more often be the BIS

Going to wait and see. The blog states that a characters power comes from several sources.

We’ll already get points to invest in the skill and talent tree so they are also balancing that with gear.

What you are suggesting is bringing more power from skills but that could devalue gear.

i just think, that its not only about balance and variety (ofc thats important)
but you have to somehow contain the fantasy of the unique items
they are loosing their special feeling, to do something, nothing else can do
you could just delete all legendaries and just drop the consumables and still had all the gear, you need for the game -> legendaries are not really necessary anymore

I think consumables will add a lot to diversity like the cube did with DIII.

Finding the right drop and a worthy roll might take some time, but I don’t think they will function the same as legendary items.

but what will be the difference?
according to mr. llama, only the special affix placements, that can only be found on legendaries, would be the difference
other than that, legendaries usually have less affixes than rares
there must be something, that still makes them remarkable

Well put here.

Definitely. One of the things legendaries could do, is be unique(hence the old name unique). So of course they have their special affix like multiple projectiles or something, but then they have specific rolls that only that item can roll for. So let’s use a scenario:

• Yellow can roll 5 properties and then use this legendary consumable to add a special affix. So the yellow will roll the properties from a pool of “general properties” that any item can roll, then be allowed to have a special affix.

• Legendaries can roll 5 properties and naturally come with a special affix. 1 or more of these properties may roll something unique to that item, such as always having Devastation as a property and maybe having it roller higher. So if the general property is able to normally roll up to +2 Devastation, this specific Legendary may be able to roll up to +3 for that specific property that it will always have. This same concept/technique could be used for as many of its properties as deemed necessary or desired. You can even do something like it will always roll 3 specific properties and 2 random properties(for a total of 5). Of those 3 specific properties, maybe 2 of them can roll a little higher.

It would probably be better if there weren’t “higher rolls” of general properties though for Legendaries, because then you’d just make rares once again not worth it any more. So it really comes down to having a proper balancing act to make things feel useful.

There are a number of ways to tackle this sort of beast, but I love where they are leaning and that they’re involving people like they are. I imagine they’ll have a “transmog” system where we can just change our looks, so having aesthetically goofy looking rares/mismatched gear probably won’t matter.

1 Like

i think we will just see it, when they showcase the first legendary next to a rare with the same legendary affix
it will be obvious, if this system works or not

1 Like

Do you know how rare/expensive those consumables are going to be?

i guess they will drop just as rare as legendaries but as they said, only in endgame

Is this D3 or D4 you are talking about? It would be absurd to remove ancient lengedaries in D3 after introducing LoD gem and relaying a mesage to the whole community about how they wanted to keep season 17 theme forever.

Probably rarer than legendary items as they’re planned to drop in “late endgame”.

Diablo 4

2 Likes

What if… and I am holding onto hope here… You can get some Legs that are best in slot, and some affix leg drops to add to your best in slot rare items, to make different combinations and open up play viability? It may be crazy enough to work. (insert “That Crazy SOB did it.” Gif from Jurassic park)

1 Like

The system they are proposing is making a craftable chase item. Depending on how legendaries are itemized it should take an amazing rare item along with an extremely rare consumable with then the correct legendary power on it to make an item that is better than the (relatively) easy to find legendary.
I for one am fine with a chase system like this.
You can make builds that work just fine with legendaries but to really push the bleeding edge of content you need to find and craft these chase items.