Nerf Group Play

I, like many who play this game, prefer to play solo, and it a travesty that you harm solo play as much as you do. Not only is it faster to play in a group, currently, but you are also able to do higher tier rifts. Because of your refusal to make group play harder, this means that solo players are unable to solo 150s unless they grind endless paragon (in group play) first.

Suggest: drastically raise the hp in 3-4 man so that you can allow for stronger set bonuses, so the highest tier rifts aren’t gated from solo players unless they have perfect gear as well as extremely high paragon.

I am sure you will nerf the firebirds set, but this just shows how broken your game really is. I did a 142 solo on the PTR, with 2800 paragon. I was, as far as I could see, the highest clear with the least paragon (by well over 1000 paragon levels, easily). I had mostly primal gear, and high augments, and still, 142 was my limit, without fishing. To think that I can’t do a 150 unless I get thousands more paragon is disheartening and sad for the state of this game. Meanwhile people are running 150 4mans in 3-4 minutes on the PTR, AND they are getting an xp boost for group play.

Why do you have such disdain for solo play, in a game that is designed to be played as such?

4 Likes

Agreed, make the game unenjoyable for everyone. If you want to do it than do it right. Make the whole community flee this game ( we will evetualy if blizz continues this path). So why not sooner than later?

There’s a significant difference between harming someone and not giving them the same incentives. You may not see it because you aren’t getting what you want, but it’s an important distinction.

Having increased difficulty and rewards in group play isn’t harmful to solo players. Group play is available to everyone. You simply opt out of it.

If you think getting 142 on 2800 paragons is disheartening, or anything other than wildly broken, you will be crushed to learn that the last communication from the developers on balancing suggests they don’t want you getting that high even with 5000 paragons.

I’m not sure how the game is designed “for solo play” when you’re complaining about the multiplayer design.

For the record, I am a solo player myself for the most part. Most of my hours logged aren’t even in a group with a few friends. I don’t complain about the EXP because it doesn’t impact my gameplay at all. I can’t really complain that I don’t get the rewards for doing things that I’m not doing. If I want those rewards, I go do those things.

On the only thin connection to “PTR feedback” in this topic: complaining that people are doing better than you on the PTR is a new low for this type of gripe.

2 Likes

Like Tebo already said, it’s everyones choice to play in group or not.

If you call for a group play nerf because it’s more rewarding XP-wise you also have to call for a follower revamp nerf because it’s more rewarding for solo players when it comes to T16 farming: Keys (+25%) and DB (x2).

I agree that the gap is too big atm. This patch gave solo players some love and I hope they will narrow the gap down a little further in future patches. But in the end group play should stay a little stronger than solo play.

2 Likes

People have been pushing for a solo mode again. I think it’s a good idea as I think it’s a little silly to measure one character’s progress based on another character’s farming and most of the builds being propped up by rat runs, etc would never be invited to those activities themselves.

It seems more reasonable than people creating their own imaginary game mode and then trying to balance everyone around it.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure how I think about this whole Solo only playmode.
On the one hand you are right, it’s silly to have the progess from groups also being valid for solo. But then the next what happens is that the 2-player groups will complain that 3-player and 4-player groups have an advantage and 3-player groups will complain that 4-player groups are too strong and they will also ask for a separate game mode (with the same valid reason as solo players do). This could become very complicated create more ploblems than it solves.

But to keep things simple let’s assume we have a solo and a group game mode.
Should they be completely separated? Like SC and HC with own stash, material, Paragon etc.?
Or would it be ok to use gear we find in group mode also in solo mode?
My favorite would be not to have a separate solo game mode but that the game counts the XP gained in group and solo separately. If I play solo then only solo XP will count and be converted into the relevant Paragon level. If I play in group I don’t see why my solo XP shouldn’t count here too as it was earned in a lower rewarding mode. So in group both, solo and group XP earned would be added and result in the relevant Paragon level.

Absolutely, because it’s far more than just paragons/experience being earned. So if the goal is to separate the solo players from the group (size is really irrelevant) rewards they “can’t” obtain, then they can’t get the gems, loot, gold, etc either.

Once you separated all that into “solo” and “group” mode, you’ve made a solo game mode. Easier to just manage it at character creation.

Seasonal
Hardcore
Solo

As a bonus, “solo self-found” is already a concept people are familiar with in Diablo.

If that is the goal a SSF mode sure is the way to go.

I’m honest, I personaly don’t like this SSF mode because it solves the problem only for a minority of players. The XP/Paragon gap in normal mode would stay. And that’s the mode the majority of players will still play IMHO.
I also don’t like to be forced to split the time I can invest into 2 separate game modes. I play Duo (60-70%) and Solo (30%-40%) of my time and this separation would lead me nowhere.

So why not have both, a new SSF mode and an XP-Adjustment in normal mode?

Gosh, people are never happy… Blizzard just made a nice gift to solo players with the followers change, and the OP’s reaction is to ask to nerf group play! What kind of attitude is that? I personally like to play both in groups and solo, and I welcome improvements on both sides, rather than putting one side against the other.

5 Likes

Yeah, while I’m happy that solo play was improved and would like more improvements down the line. I certainly wouldn’t want group play to be punished or nerfed.

2 Likes

That’s the problem with looking in someone else’s bowl.

2 Likes

Group play = harder difficulty
harder difficulty = higher rewards
Gp=D(x+4) - W/C

As you can see in the equation above, Group Play (Gp) is equal to Difficulty (D) multiplied times Party Members (X) plus four(4) members, minus your Whining(W) divided by Crying© in PTR FEEDBACK about things that have nothing to do with FEEDBACK about the PTR.

Either group up and get bonuses for the increased difficulty level (which is only just and fair) or keep playing solo and get solo rewards.

I too play solo. I too only get so much exp and such, yet never once in MY pathetic and lonely, sad, crybaby life, have I ever even once cried about people getting difficulty based rewards, that reward them for harder game-play that requires teamwork and a team effort, as it should be.

I don’t know what is wrong with your life where you feel the need to make other people suffer for having fun with their friends by increasing their difficulty of play, but you need to figure it out, and put posts like this on the live general chat, and leave THE PTR FEEDBACK FORUMS so that people can give PTR FEEDBACK on the PTR FEEDBACK FORUMS.

2 Likes

All excellent points but you gotta rein that in a bit man.

I feel Errtu’s frustration. :grin:
I play mostly solo, with the option of having a friend or a two join my game now and then. Now with the new follower changes I question whether I’ll ever group up because it’s more effective to farm solo. Makes me sad in a way.
I don’t really need more incentive to play solo. Even playing SSF hardcore seasonal as I like to do often, I never feel like I’m pressured to keep up with any certain pace. To me, it is a personal choice to add more challenges and change the way the game plays.
I get the feeling some players think 6k+ paragon happens just from choosing to group up. I can tell you from observation that it still takes an obscene amount of play time to get that high, even in groups. If they make a solo mode, you’ll most likely be out leveled by bots anyway. I’m in favor of seeing more permanent changes like the follower system, but ones that affect all players of the game, not just a single faction.

2 Likes

How did I complain that peple are doing better than I am? In fact I said, on the PTR, I did better than anyone (to my knowledge) that is comparable to me. Most people were using the meme legacy focus just so they could do a higher GR.

And I never said solo play should provide the same rewards. I CLEARLY stated I don’t think that is the case. But How is it legitimate that group play is many times better, not just at farming paragon, but also at performing higher grs? at 5k paragon, most characters can’t even do a 150, yet they can speed run them in a 4 man group? You really see nothing wrong with this? 4 man farming is the minority of player base. How does slowing down the effectiveness of 4man play harm the game?

I got any idea let’s all uninstall the game and never give anymore money too this Activision Spinoff, that never listens to the community and only to certain streamer’s that tell them this is ok, well there not ok, don’t nerf builds, you can’t give power and then take it away that’s what goverment’s do not paying customers.

Why is it “only just and fair”?

This is very simple. You all are harping on the title of the thread and not what i actually wrong inside of it. Group play isn’t actually harder. That’s why 4 man groups are doing sub 4 minute 150s. How is THAT hard to understand? They will ultimately nerf the firebirds set, like they nerfed the rathma set, because it will be far too strong in group play, instead of realizing that the solution to that is just increasing the mob hp in group play.

It is extremely simple to just scale up the hp in groups, and you don’t leave the solo player so far behind.

Let’s not forget that Season 22 was probably one of the most over tuned seasons yet. Overpowered dps from necro with 4th cube and 4x clones on every pylon really adds up. I doubt we’ll be seeing anything close to those clear times in season 23. By nature of the follower buff and loss of stacking group season buffs you’re already going to see a bit of gap shrinking.
Have you really tried running 4 man meta? It’s actually pretty tough. It takes coordination and communication and understanding of what your role requires. I’m not saying it’s rocket science, but it is challenging. If you try to nerf group play (or raise mob hp), that will be yet another power creep in the opposite direction. Sometimes in order to balance a game you have to bring the threshold down, but if you do it too often, players will feel like they’re getting weaker and weaker and ultimately stop wanting to play.

Source?

In every ARPG that is more successful than D3, especially POE, SSF blows other modes out of the water. It might be a minority of people who still play D3, because solo is such a huge joke in this game, that people moved to POE.

Group play = harder difficulty
harder difficulty = higher rewards

The fk? LOL. Who on this planet believes group play is harder? I swear these forums are full of the lowest common denominator in society. “plz keep this game bad, I dont want others players here” aka keep solo terrible. I love how blizzard listens to you and keeps D3 dead.

Have you really tried running 4 man meta? It’s actually pretty tough. It takes coordination and communication and understanding of what your role requires.

LOL

2 Likes

So that’s a no, then.