Necro new set brainstorming

Since the patch notes are out for the ptr, we have the first glimpse of the new Necromancer set, Masquerade of the Burning Carnival. It is a Simulacrum and Bone Spear set. The 2 piece gives Simulacrum all the runes, makes the Simulacrum no longer take damage and refreshes the cool down on character death (lol hardcore necros). The 4 piece gives you damage reduction and splits damage between you and your Simulacrums also Unity ring. The 6 piece gives 10,000% damage to Bone Spear and triple that to your Simulacrums.

So the obvious goal is to buff your Bone Spears and then your Simulacrums doing even more damage via duplicating your Bone Spears. We may finally see Maltorius Spike used in the game. It looks like another Land of the Dead / Devour build to keep up your Essence to fuel the expensive Bone Spears but pushing their damage to fairly high levels. Look forward to other thoughts and input.

2 Likes

Im actually speechless.

Zero help with the toughness issues.
Another set that needs 40 essence for a single bonespear without any other chance than lotd+devour to maintain this.

Rats are finally dead. Atleast the last thing that worked for necros outside of S20 is gone too.

1 Like

This isn’t what I expected, but…it’s a new Set so I’m open to new stuff. I remember used Bone Spear and Corpse Explosion in Diablo 2, maybe could it be like that build, HF GL

2 Likes

They also changed Corpse Explosion base damage by a lot so it may compete with Lance now. It looks like an ok set, built in double Unity plus built in 50% damage reduction will help with some of the squishiness of Necros. It just seems like more of the LotD spam for infinite Essence so it isn’t anything dramatically new, just a different spin on the same old Necro mechanics.

1 Like

As far as spamming and essence, I suppose you could use LOTD but also you could use Bone Spikes plus Reilena’s Shadowhook? Your thoughts on this are interesting. Crimson’s?

Since you gain all the runes, you have 2 Simulacrums which is more than 75% DR (83.5%).

1 Like

thanks for the correction!

I would definitely plan on Crimson’s since it looks like another CDR heavy build. Maltorius’ Petrified Spike has a big multiplier of 700% and Crimson set adds some RCR to help counteract the increased essence cost of Bone Spear. With SotC having 5x damage, Spike giving 8x from the cube, 101x from 6 piece plus double 303x from your 2 Simulacrums, Bone Spear will hit like a truck (not even counting Crimson, Trapped, Zei’s, CoE, etc).

1 Like

Why another Bone Spear set. :frowning:

2 Likes

Assuming standard set pieces, I think we’d be looking at Masquerade gloves, shoulders, helm, chest and pants; Crimson belt and boots; SotC and any phylactery; Krysbin’s and Zodiac; Haunted Visions and probably Reaper’s Wraps (even with the nerf).

Skills would be Devour Cannibalize or Satiated (on NumLock), LotD Frozen Lands, Simulacrum (all runes), Bone armor Dislocation (needed for SotC), Bone Spear Shatter or Blood Spear and Blood Rush (not sure which rune, armor or double charges).

But if you use Spike in the Cube and SotCycle, you cannot use Shadowhook or Corroded Fang. Also, what offhand, if any, suits this? AND…you lose access to Jesseth’s.

What do you see the gear and skills as? I am wondering if this set will spam Bonespear the way IK HOTA or Impale does, or if it will be more about pooling and then blasting tactically like Raekor’s HOTA.

In all fairness, who actually used Bone Spear with Pesti?

I was really hoping for Corpse Explosion, which did get a buff, but I was hoping for a set to include it. I could see possibly a Brigg’s Wrath to group then the bone spear that explodes (the rune name escapes me). Then possibly corpse exploding anything that didn’t die. Either way, it needs some testing and Thursday cant get here soon enough, even though I won’t get to play it until 7 hours after it launches. Night shift blows sometimes.

1 Like

Spike is a 8x multiplier, Shadowhook is 4.35x if Simulacrum is active, Fang is 3x and Jesseth is 5x while skeletons are commanded (would have to take place of Blood Rush in the build that I listed). I think it will be more of an elite hunting build but you will have a lot of spears flying around between you and your simulacrums.

1 Like

I am visualizing 2 specs for this bd, ranged and melee.

Ranged: essence will be a problem and lotd/devour

Melee: more for groups? Simu now replicate Grim Scythe, you wack mobs to gain essence on off cycles?? Max ad bd maybe.

Not an experienced necro but what about the Dual Scythe rune? For the Necro alone is that 24 essence then? With Simulacrum gain 48 essence extra?
Also, pushing everyhting together, does it proc Strongarm?

1 Like

What? Did you read the same patchnotes I did?

• Mantle of Channeling
  • Now works with the Necromancer’s Siphon Blood.

Final Service

• No longer consumes pets.

Razeth’s Volition

• Skeletal Mage gains the effect of the Gift of Death and Singularity runes. You gain 35-50% damage reduction if your Essence is not full.

Grace of Inarius

• 4-Piece Set Bonus: Bone Armor grants an additional 2% 3% damage reduction per enemy hit.
6 Likes

good luck pushing with inarius and nova necro next season then.

Lod mages get a toughness buff. And reapers nerf really helps not being full on essence all the time :slight_smile:

was it too hard to get us a bracer? Why a shoulder. That slot is locked by every set.

I was able to do a 90 with inarius corpse explosions build after the original nerf.

With the 5* more damage on corpse explosions and additional 2* multiplier on the gloves corpse explosions will be 10* straight more damage with this patch. It may push into 130+ with in end game Gear now.

At the very least corpse explosions inarius can be a zoom zoom speed build for anything T16.

CE is currently 350% weapon damage and the patch takes it to 1050% which is 3x, not 5x damage.

1 Like

My bad, 6* total increase. But the set was doing 90+ in starter gear a few patches back.

It still may be enough to put it into the 120-30 range.

And it’s 100% speed viable.