Necro Masquerade of Burning Carnival feedback

I think the idea and design concept was good. However, they seem to act like the templar. If you are standing in a certain location the templar completely ignores anyone attacking you .
With the simulacrum, they would serve better if they stood in the same proximity that the templar does by default rather than 100 yards away.

3 Likes

Have you guys tried it with the shatter rune? I only just hit GR 70 but I’m not really seeing an issue yet…

So after playing with the set for a while, here’s my feedback:

1. Please show the Simulacrums on the UI, where our other minions show up. Due to the Self-Sacrifice rune, your simulacrums may die off protecting you, and you may not even realize it. It would be great to be able to check at a glance that both simulacra are still alive or not.
  2. This set will probably be OP for Hardcore. Unless I’m missing something, this set has by far the most powerful 4pc defensive bonus of any set in the game (50% DR + another 66% DR on top due to splitting damage with immune Simulacra), and further, you get another two death-saves from the Self-Sacrifice rune.
  3. It seems a bit odd that this set only features Bone Spear, when this skill has already been featured in other sets (namely Pestilence). Why not other skills that haven’t been featured before? Surely Bone Spirit or Death Nova could be added with little difficulty.
  4. This set does not work without the Haunted Visions necklace. It literally cannot function without it. It feels a bit odd that the set isn’t self-contained. Perhaps consider swapping this effect with the “Simulacrum gains all runes” from the 2pc, so that the necklace is still very useful, but not required to make the set work at all. I can see there being issues when this is the Haedrig’s gift, and players can’t progress as they struggle to get their hands on the necklace.
  5. The AI on the Simulacra is pretty poor. I think it would feel a lot better if when you Blood Rushed, the Simulacra teleported on top of you, so you could position them as needed without worrying about bad AI trapping them behind walls and doors.
18 Likes

Tried out the new Set.

I will say it’s interesting. The Build Is pretty straight forward. How ever there were somethings I noticed.

1: If something can kill you repeatedly, Like an Arcana Beam, It will kill you through both Simulacrum Death and your own before you can reactivate Simulacrum.
1a: Also there are times where when you “die” the Simulacrum CD won’t reset fully so you won’t be able to reactivate Simulacrum before you are inevitably killed again. This could be a problem in Hardcore.

2: It would be nice if the 6 Piece bonus was not tied to ONLY Bone spear. It would be great if it was tied to “Bone” spells. Similar to the Bone Prison & Serration Passives. (Bone Spikes, Bone Spear, & Bone Spirit)

3: Having a Blood Rush can some times leave you hanging with the Simulacrums trying to catch up to you.

4: Sometimes the Simulacrum AI will ignore or miss when you cast something, like a curse, or Bone Spear.

8 Likes

The damage this build does is very underwhelming to the point that it has made me wonder if the + 10,000 % and 30,000% for the sims is being applied properly or if they missed a 0 in the application.

I might be exaggerating a bit but it feels more like +1,000 % than +10,000.

Damage mitigation is good as you’d expect but the damage side of things needs looking into.

5 Likes

Very weak set i wont be playing it, glad i tested

2 Likes

Nec New Set: para 684/sheet damage 1,193,960 / solo gr 93 13 min.

All ancient set pieces/BoP 45 /Stricken 25

Took Blood Rush off so I can run Frailty & Devour & Simulacrum & Bone Armor w/ Grim Scythe/Bone Spear

makes the run slow and clunky above gr 90.

Skill setup
https://i.imgur.com/DJoms7a.jpg

Look at Gear
https://i.imgur.com/pLJsbSV.jpg

Was fun on lower gr levels.

Don’t feel atm I’ll be leveling a necro in S21.

1 Like

It was fun for T16. And just like the new DH set, this one is lame for GRs.

1 Like

I think this is supposed to be a change which was implemented according to the patch notes, though I see super low procs myself using this rune.

I played the new Carnival set for about 6 hours last night on seasonal, and i want to talk about the “feel” of the new set as it stands, some glitches or strange things I noticed, overall pros and cons and my rating of this set, and some thoughts about gearing.

The “feel” of the build

• Overall, bone spear does not do enough damage, even though I realize the total damage is 50,000% with both sims hitting the same target. And…
  • The damage is sporadic. I dont know why, but sometimes the bone spears are nukes and other times gentle feathers caressing the monsters. I found that when i apply a curse or a primary skill (not using focus/restraint) the damage goes way up on the next use.
  • Resource maintenance is not a problem without a generator until you get to a boss. In higher tiers, when you cannot kill a boss in a few hits, i cannot see how people will avoid a generator. And yet, a generator in this build feels like we are being forced to take a skill which gives no benefit to us, and is awkward to cast when running around casting bone spears. What benefit can generators (theoretically) give to this set that make them logical instead of just a necessity?
  • The use of simulacrum is an interesting idea, but confusing and frustrating in practice. Besides the glitches of sims getting stuck on walls and not hitting when you cast, they often shoot in strange directions and feels awkward to play. Plus…
  • I am convinced that the damage reduction does not work as advertised. My understanding is that a split between both sims would either yield 1) a 75% dr bonus, 50% x 50% (im not a math person) OR, 2) A 66.7% DR bonus split between two sims and yourself. I am not feeling the DR bonus when I play, though obviously some DR is happening because without sims its one shot. Doesnt feel like the tanky build I thought it might be.
  • I know what simulacrum does as a skill, and its a good skill, but as a centerpiece of the build, it feels meh. Unlike other sets like IK and Innas, the pets are passive unless commanded to cast certain spells. They dont do anything except amp your damage. I am not sure what this really adds to the experience of the game, unless you like seeing copies of yourself.
  • Besides all this, the neck slot is locked down for this build with haunted visions. Besides sets which use an amulet (Sunwuko, Akkhan) no other set actually depends on a legendary amulet power to be viable, much less maximally effective. Yet this build being a simulacrum build requires HV and thus it will either be on the neck or in the cube, no question. This makes gearing jewelry a bit of a stranglehold - pun intended - by limiting the neck options.
  • Overall, I felt that bonespear alone is lacking as the centerpiece damage dealer on this build. It reminds me of the early Valor set for saders, where you had FotH only and the damage was meh. I too think bone spirit is the way to go, though in true old-school necro form, a bonespear and bone spirit build - much like the FotH and HF valor sader - would be compelling and better imo.

Glitches and bizarre behaviors - I noticed all these yesterday when playing, would like to see if others can confirm.

• All curses active w/o trag’s wep - at one point in the PTR I equipped a trag’s wep and then took it off shortly after. When I got my set and started going around with it, I used frailty with different runes, but when I used the curse it applied all three. I saw the triple curse icon above their heads at the very least, and they seemed to slow like in decrepify. My thought is that somehow the sims are casting curses, and somehow applying all three. If I were using trags, this would be a cool effect, but without it feels strange. Also, the curses were NOT applied with cursed scythe, simply with hard casting frailty or aura of frailty.
  • Sims stuck on walls = sucky damage - several players noticed this already, but especially on rift maps like crypts, corvus, keeps, etc. the sims get stuck around doors and do not fire in teh correct directions. There needs to be a better way to manage sim placement, and right now even blood rush does not seem to help much
  • Sims not generating essence with primary skills - on my bar right now I am using the dual scythe rune, which (I think) gives knockback and clumps the mobs for bonespear, but the thing is that the sims swinging scythes generate no essence. I tried this various times and it seems that they do nothing in terms of generators. Later i tried bone spikes, and while sims cast bone spikes they do not seem to produce any additional stuns from sudden impact rune nor gather essence.

Overall rating, pros and cons

• Pros: interesting concept using sims full time, good double damage buff on top of the multiplier works well with sim runes, lots of rune combinations for bone spear with different gear choices, especially jewelry, new choices of passives for this build
  • Cons: resource management w/o generator, damage underwhelming, survive and damage both feel spiky and unpredictable, bone spear play alone not very engaging, confusion around sims as pets or not, sim placement and accuracy leaves much to be desired.

Overall rating: ehhhh… but maybe?
There is still time for improvement here. Add a new skill, up the damage and fix the dr to feel more accurate and stable according to the 4-piece description, fix the sim behavior, tell us if sims are pets and get pet damage or not, etc. I want this set to feel like the tanky blow stuff up build, and it only feels that way on GR 55 and lower for me. I think that a build which would focus on trapping and grouping enemies and blasting them with bone spear and spirit sounds awesome. One thought here, bone spear naturally scales with trash density (blighted marrow rune) and bone spirit is naturally single target - maybe something can be done here for scaling damage to make it abalanced build for solo?

Gear thoughts

• I tried several variations on the gear choices, and all of them come down to jewelry and bracers so far. I havent seen that CC set would be helpful, and the cube jewelry slot is vital for the build imo. I use dayntee’s binding, strongarms or parthians for pushing, nems for farming, and the following jewelry options.
  • Focus/restraint, HV, cubed krysbin’s - this gets really good damage, but you have to take a generator
  • Endless walk set, Krysbins, HV in cube - I didnt like this one at all, though lots of running around meant i had better dr, which for a while felt like the biggest hindrance
  • HV, coe, krysbins, unity in the cube - this was my earliest singleplayer build, and it didnt feel that great to use, i think that the focus/restraint combo was easier to use, though undoubtedly COE will be mandatory on all push builds.
  • weapon choices: scythe of the cyle, any phylactery, maltorius in the cube
  • Cube armor slot: I thought of using the new razeths for DR, but without mages on the bar it seems useless. Aquila isnt viable, maybe parthians for DR. I used steuart’s greaves for speed but this doesnt seem optimal in the long term.
6 Likes

maybe couse of CoE roll (if u’re using it), maybe just a bug, or just maybe the sims fire as they should (target+timing+distance, etc)

I think it goes something like this… U take 50% less dmg and from that 50%, 100% (all of the dmg u receive) is split between the 3 of u… 33,3333% each ?? don’t know

and it should be… there is a rune for Sim (cursed form) that does that and now Sim benefits from all runes.

I really don’t think they’re meant to… they just duplicate (some of) your attacks

Yeah it really sucks that you are relegated to “choose OH with best stats even if the affix is an ability that isn’t even on your bar because it doesn’t matter.”

3 Likes

Yeah I wish the 6 piece bonus increased both grim scythe and bone spear or something. They make sims duplicate it and we have a lot of other items that help our grim scythe. But the set offers no bonuses that give it enough damage to be meaningful.

1 Like

Agreeed, and again, why wouldnt the sims using GS generate essence? Seems bizarre, and a great opportunity to make it extra helpful, after all with leger’s it would gain damage based on the essence gained…

3 Likes

Another issue I noticed, the bone spears do no go up stairs well. This is quite annoying and should be an easy fix.

1 Like

I also noticed that bone prison procs still feel way low. Serration wont work well if we cant keep them at a distance, and no rune for BS slows enemies, so we rely on bone prison and/or bone spikes sudden impact to keep them at bay.

If all three bone spears manage to hit the same target, there should only be a 34% chance of NOT triggering a Bone Prison (not accounting for accumulated CC resistance obviously). So it definitely seems like it should be happening a lot more than it does.

Yeah, ideally id like to see bone spears passing through and hitting the bulk of enemies with a prison. On bosses, getting all three on the boss should be a good chance of prisoning them, accounting for CC resistance would make boss fights somewhat do able with this as the source of CC outside bone armor.

Revives need fixed damage numbers mostly, they’re too unpredictable in terms of output. But as for the new set, it should be bone spirit that haunted visions allows them to cast. Please for the love of god give us a 7th piece lol. But I think that the strongest part of the set is the 2p and 4p, the utility it brings is better than any offense it carries.

To help with the awkwardness of the Simulacrums, they should make their Bone Spears pass through walls, so you don’t have to worry as much about them being out of position.

1 Like