Mundu sb- pirahnado or horrify

Hi all, I’m a returning player and currently enjoying the sb build.
Just wondering which would be good Piranhado or horrify frightening aspect? Mainly for solo gr or t16…tyvm

Ps; I know either would work great but I can’t make up my mind…seems piranhado clears go faster…any sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Can’t say which one is the better choice because,… well I don’t know but I can tell you that I ve been using the horrify and I prefer my wd to be tanky. I have issues at high pushes with my toughness and that helps a lot. Also fairly low cooldown and with a couple of cooldown reduction rolls I can have it permanently. On t16 I guess it doesn’t matter cause you clear the entire screen within the blink of an eye so you might as well pick horrify with the movement speed rune. On very high pushes I suspect the piranhado becomes better cause it is one of the best crowd control spells in the game and you want to stack many enemies in a tight spot before you start blowing them up. Of course these very high pushes require you to have lots of paragon (main stat) in order to survive so I am not there yet. Only 21k main stat and I can clear around gr120.

Thanks for replying.
An off topic question though, I don’t quite get how SB works on its explosion, I have been spamming SB where I see mobs, but I’m sure I’m using it wrongly, coz the barber should have a much more effective way of using it the right way…it says ‘when you stop casting’ them not explodes? Doesn’t seem to work as I read…:frowning:

The barber works like this. Instead of dealing your typical barrage damage it accumulates all the damage and once you stop casting (or the accumulated damage exceeds enemy’s health pool) it explodes. You can think of it as a “battery” that stores damage inside. The more damage you store the bigger the explosion will be. This is how barber works but you also have another core item -the Gazing Demise - which pairs with the Barber. This makes it that you can have 3 phantasms (max) that last 10 seconds. Each one provides damage amplification. To be as efficent as you can you need to cast 3 times in order to get the 3 phantasms before you start dpsing. That means that you have a 10 second window before the phantasms expire, that you deal tremendous damage. Then you rince and repeat. It is important to have high attack speed with this build because 10 seconds is 10 seconds so you need to store as much damage as possible for the explosion and that is done with increasing your attack speed.

I am sorry if i sound confusing, english is not my first language and i am awfull at trying to explain things, lol

1 Like

Your explanation is perfect, thank you for that.
To confirm that I’m reading it right though, should I stop spamming phantasm on elites now? Instead, just cast 3 , and then stop casting sb but go with other dps, 10 secs later i’ll re-cast 3 sb to store damages again?

Another question, if I keep spamming sb around mobs, will it reset/cancel the explosion on each re-cast?

no no no, sorry that was my fault i guess.
you need to cast 3 times spirit barrage (3 mouse clicks) which will generate three phantasms…

then the fourth time you need to hold your mouse and not let it go… as if you were channeling… when the 10 seconds pass then you do that again and again…
spirit barrage is your only damage dealing ability. The others do basically nothing, they offer utility, mobility, and locust swarms enables another damage spike to spirit barrage so make sure you locust swarm something before you start damaging it. Pestilence rune helps a lot becuase it spreads really fast and you have to cast it just a couple of times…

Yes if you keep clicking spirit barrage it will reset the phantasms. You can have max 3 so the next time you click it it will not give you 4.

What content are you doing now? Torment 16, Grs? In what Gr range are you playing?

1 Like

Thanks again.

Sorry I’m still confused as you mentioned after placing 3 phantasm, I have to hold click to continue damage…from my testing if I’m going to hold down sb, it will keep summoning phantasm (capped at 3 max of course) but phantasm keep switching places…and as u said earlier the 4th will reset the explosion… :sweat_smile:

And by the way I noticed sometimes it doesn’t go full 10 secs before explosion happen…sometimes it explodes after 3 secs…I’m curious why lol

I’m at solo gr97 now…progressing :smiley:

Just a note…

With SB, you can spam cast it for continual damage on your target/s, or let your phantasm’s build up for a rediculous burst, before casting another to set it off.

The misleading part is the interaction with Gazing Demise. It forces the Phantasm’s, so in essence, you can’t really cast a continual stream of SB if you are using Manitou. Both runes are timed events, so you are refreshing them with each cast. Instead, the Barber’s effect builds over time in the Phantasm’s/Manitou.

Both methods result in similar DPS, but of course, spamming SB is going to be harder on your mana pool. You might find instances where one method is more effective than the other, I personally use both depending on the situation.

Another thing to note if you are using the Manitou rune. It acts as another cast if it continuously attacks the same target, it’s damage will accumulate until it exceeds the mobs health and kills it, or you move out of range of its target.

You may have noticed RG’s suddenly dying when they get down to approx 30% health… This is why.

Nice work! Seems you’re coming along nicely. :trophy:

There could be a lot of reasons for that. If i have to take a guess, maybe something knocks you back and you disrupts your accumulation, or the target moves an x-number of yards away from you. Could be anything. Or maybe you used another spell at 3 seconds and your accumulation stopped right there.

The reason i said that before was to emphasize that only spirit barrage will do any damage at gr97. As unicorn said there is also that way to play it. Personally in the highest grs i cleared with this build i found that i needed to build up my damage before letting go, and i was playing in a way that i could try to gather some trash mobs next to one or more elite packs so i can make the most out of the situation. On lower content i guess this is not needed becuase you kill everything in your screen no matter how you play it.

Whether you cast it 2 times and hold click the 3rd time, or you cast it 3 times and hold click the 4 th is almost the same cause these 3 right clicks happen really fast like in 0.1 seconds.

Don’t forget that sometimes it is impossible to sit there and hold for 10 seconds becuase there are stuff that can kill you so you need to disengage and reposition (molten explosions, arcane beams, hard hitting mobs, vortexes). Ideally you also have to time your spirit walk when standing amidst 10 billion enemies.

Thanks guys for all the useful tips :smiley: Certainly helps a lot…

Another question, if I’m on piranhado, would it be wise to use creeping death or confidence ritual? Same question how about if I’m using horrify ?

Creeping death will get you 15% more damage (almost permanently) while confidence 20%. But with creeping death you can try to swap pestilence run on locust swarm to cloud of insects so you could benefit from the damage reduction too. It’s just a question of what suits you more. But i ve seen the majority of guides and builds not using creeping death.

Just another thing, you know that your items have some unwanted affixes on them right? And there is also the superrior version of this build which uses Ring of Royal Grandeur and Crimson Set (Belt + Pants or Belt + Boots).

Creeping Death gains more value the higher you go, when things take longer to kill.

I didn’t really find it useful until pushing my gears/paragons limits.

1 Like

Thanks again!

Yes I’m aware of the unwanted affixes, still trying to grind for ancient items or better gear before perfecting them :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I’m also aware of the 3 set damage Cooldown reduction , but I kinda like the belt that summon 15 fetishes…it keeps me safe I don’t know why hehehe.

2 Likes

This was actually a very popular solo setup at the start of this… er… last season. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I see… been wondering why do we kanai the Sacred Harvester instead of Voo’s Juicer? Voo’s unlock 2 runes for SB (mana and life) and also has 40-60% increase damage on SB…

Also, with the RORG in kanai, it’s a waste for me to use 6 piece mundu (especially I don’t use CD reduction belt set) what do you think if switch my chest armor with Aquila Cuirass? (I still get the 6 set bonus from RORG) to increase survivability).

Looking at your WD’s current setup, you would get more value by changing the RoRG in your cube to a Unity ring instead of wearing Aquila.

Same buff without the condition, but you need to equip your follower with a “Follower can not die” token and another Unity on them.

For extra damage options, you could also swap the RoRG for either the Convention of Elements ring, or the updated Flavour of Time amulet which doubles the duration of pylons in rifts.

If you’re feeling feisty… You could also swap your belt with a nice Witching Hour to max out your sheet dps.

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely try them out. But I think I’m good with the belt as I prefer to have fetishes around to tank for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of follower, which type of follower is good for me?

I personaly use the Templar. Mainly because the items he can use actually help here and there, and his clutch heal can save your @ss at times.

The Enchantress provides some usefull crowd control, and gives you a small attack speed buff which is good for this build too.

As for the Scoundrel… I can’t even remember the last time I used him.

Basically it comes down to preference unless you’re trying to compete for the top of the boards where every little bit you can scrape matters. Give them some decent items that give them some utility and its better to have them, than to not have them around.

FINALY found my profile!

I recently changed my user name, and couldn’t remember the digits after my old name.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Jay-17967/hero/92266568

Just to give you an idea on which items to use on the follower… Only the Templar is worth looking at.

Missing items on the profile:
Kanai: Sacred Harvester / Mask of Jeram / RoRG
Left Ring Socket: Bane of the Stricken gem

Sweet! I was hoping to have someone’s profile to refer and voila! Tyvm! Templar too is my pick! :smiley:

Just noticed my enchantress has no gears on her…lol

Also good idea to switch to red gem for more tanks…

No prob at all, happy to help.

Heh, my other followers hardly ever end up geared either. I keep stuff for them, but never use them. :laughing:

FYI: If you want to look at someones profile…

Click on their name on one of thier posts, a window with “View Activity” and “View Profile” should show up.

The “View Profile” button is the one you want.