MTX = Loss of playerbase

Everyone knows when someone wears a cosmetic buyed. Most valuable cosmetics will be the rarest items dropped in game

Or cheeved based boy

With the way Acti-Blizz have been going over the last few years I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a $60 box price with MTX at launch, then a $60 expansion, and then screw it why not add a sub fee on top of that.

Gotta milk these idiot consumers for every penny before our useless governments join us in the 21st century and start pushing back against predatory monetization.

2 Likes

I never really though of it like that, that’s a boat load of money. They don’t need mtx money

1 Like

So, this is what passes as common sense these days?

I bought a video to play and have fun. I played the game to get the rewards the game offered.

Or

I can go to work to make money to buy a game, then work more to buy virtual items, then have less to do in the game.

Why not make all games pay to win so i can spend more time working and making real life money?

Also, why do people put so much value on being skilled at a video game? I think common sense dictates that it is better to be skilled at a real life skill. If better at a real life skill, you can make more than $10/hr and buy even more useless virtual items.

Please don’t be dogmatic. Please see my thread for more information.

Saying it will be the end of the Diablo series if they implement an mtx system is stating your opinion as if it were fact, aka, dogmatic.

Instead, you could say “This will be the end of the Diablo series for me”.

Or, “I refuse to play a game that has an mtx system”.

Also, the word you were trying to spell is through.

Thank you.

1 Like

before our useless governments join us in the 21st century and start pushing back against predatory monetization.

I don’t think you know what you’re asking for…

I’m asking for emulation of Australia’s consumer protection laws.

Yes,D3 did sell a ton of copy’s but did we see much of that cash put back into the game ? No ,Not really what they did do with a large chunk of it was make the push to console .Once the cash flow dried up the game basically had massive Dev team turn over very few changes One Expac again a one time buy (For most ) that helped keep it a live a little longer and content added that was cannibalized from a second Expac that never happened.

With out a constant money generation system in place a game will die a slow death as sales numbers drop off . Cosmetics and tab sales help to insure that the game keeps generating income after inital sales and helps push for further development to keep intrest and draw new players who have the potential to spend more on both inital copy buys and cosmetics .

To give you an idea on cost inflation in gaming… and this is an old example:

This trailer for Warhammer Online (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY ) cost more to produce than the ENTIRE Dark Age of Camelot game.

Source: I worked for Mythic Entertainment for awhile and that is what was told to us as an ‘interesting tidbit of information’ when they showed off the cinematic prior to it launching.

I want cosmetic MTX.

WoW offers a Make-a-wish pet.
Diablo players lack the ability to make such donations until (hopefully) D4.

WoW offers a pet lamb named Dot.
D4 should offer her head. (Mount trophy)

No AAA modern game is going to release without a revenue stream. The initial purchase is great for headlines of X copies sold, but it doesn’t fit the modern architecture of game dev and publishing.

Back in the day, a game was released, maybe there were a few patches, successful games might have an expansion - but that was it. Today there is far more competition, the barrier is higher, development takes longer. You want to keep your barrier to entry low (IE, you dont increase the price of the base game) to retain and hopefully grow your playerbase.

So how can you complete these objectives? Micro transactions. People hate them because there are so many great examples of terrible implementations, otherwise known as “pay to win”. What they are doing is subsidizing the base price of the game by offering incentives for those with more disposable income.

The fact that Blizzard already said they won’t sell power is a huge win. It means cosmetic microtransactions, which are hopefully a great source of revenue - which means more support for the game. Gamers win here. I would like to see an actual logical reason to be against this, because so far the people against this can only use “what-if” scenarios and an appeal to emotion.

Personally, even in the ‘worst case’ scenario of cosmetic items, wherein non mtx items all look generic and trashy, is preferable over no MTX. Why? Again, we’ve seen what a game with very low support due to not having a revenue stream looks like. I want a supported game, and if that means my character won’t be flashy, or that I will have to drop some extra cash to support Blizzard - so be it.

1 Like

No one has refuted any of my points yet. Because you can’t. I’ve only been getting upvotes so heres a summary of what I’ve said:

1. MTX will cover up actual/hide actual gear, with will have negative implications in PVP Hardcore where identifying armor/gear will be important.
  2. Will ruin immersion because people will always choose the flashiest/stand out MTX.
  3. Will promote greed, there’s no way they will only make one mtx, they willl continue making more and more.
  4. Which leads to time/creativity being taken away from ingame content (taking away resources making in-game armor look cool instead of MTX)

Refute those points. There’s no reason to have MTX in a game that already costs $60 with multiple expansions.

2 Likes

I completely understand you, dude. I did the same, and gifted 4 friends with D3 and D2 just to play with them.

Well if you’re in the states I assume you know once our government dips its toe into something, they tend to do a triple back flip swan dive into it soon after. Protecting against Predatory and misleading stuff, fine. Anything farther no.

Stay out of my games bruh.

For a year :thinking:

Again, don’t criticize things you don’t like unless you see HOW they work just based upon a general trend going on

I’d have MTX as cosmetics rather than power… It’s inherently impossible to create new content on the level of an expansion and sell it for another year, rince and repeat and so on

It’s still the very same problem: wanna see game succeed ? = invest in it’s future… The cosmetics is (IMO) like the very least painful way

Another way that MTX might work is Weekly events to unlock, not necessarily to gain power, but simply for achievements or periodically game-content diversity rather

Dungeon X opens every 2nd day and is open world boss event for X hours, Dungeon Y opens every 3rd day is is open all day long, what dungeon do I get “keys” into (ofc. to unlock the dungeon itself for you MAYBE a cool idea would be a small MTX but on the other end you don’t want to repeatedly pay for content you owe, so not sure…)

BUT yes, you get the idea:

• MTX for cosmetics
  • MTX for extra content
  • MTX for power

WE ALL know the biggest evil out there is the 3rd…

1 Like

MTX will cover up actual/hide actual gear, with will have negative implications in PVP Hardcore where identifying armor/gear will be important.

Considering that d3 has transmogs, d4 will probably have transmogs too, so even if you don’t buy a single cosmetic you can “hide your gear” using base game cosmetics…

Will ruin immersion because people will always choose the flashiest/stand out MTX.

That thing sounds like “i’m jealous because a guy has a cool transmog”

Will promote greed, there’s no way they will only make one mtx, they willl continue making more and more.

It has no effect in gameplay, i played heroes of the storm for like 4 years, and i actually used a lot of base game skins, i was a diamond player back in the day, the lack of cosmetics never decreased my game perfomance.

Which leads to time/creativity being taken away from ingame content (taking away resources making in-game armor look cool instead of MTX)

Nope, dev team do not work on cosmetics, is the art team the one that does that job.

2 Likes

Reality of the world and shareholder expectations now. As long as you lock cosmetics and not power behind the $s then I honestly don’t care. QoL I’m indifferent on and the idea of class packs like “Rise of the Necromancer” I actually think is a good way to add longevity, replay-ability, and revenue streams in that I wouldn’t feel locked into but compelled by.

Release a Wizard ./shrug no interest in me buying
Release a Warlock. for instance, and you’d have my attention
Release Necromancer = Instant buy =p

True, true, but you still do not have to buy any of it. But yeah you are right PoE is a limited free game. You cannot do much without some very handy stash tabs though :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep the cutesy crap out of Diablo, it has no place. What’s the point of returning to gothic horror themes if the open world is swarming with people in sparkly armor, rainbow wings, cutesy minipets, and unicorn mounts.

3 Likes