Most of Diablo 4's loot is untradable?

Yeah, none of that was known with any certainty. Back at announcement is nearly sounded like only mythic items would be untradeable.

Still, the current rumor is just a rumor afaik. Has there been any proof?

It didnā€™t take exclusive knowledge to think anything above rares would be untradable. Smart loot was a given and not hard to fathom given how Blizzard operates but we have no clue how it works.

But yes from day one we knew the item tiers the gsme had and uniques were added with the removal of ancients and mythics.

No, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s accurate. Personally Iā€™d add rares to the list if no trade is completely off the table.

You just used a lot of words that imply guesswork and inferences. On top of that, you agreed that we didnā€™t even know about unique tier upon reveal. Your argument sounds iron-clad.

Yeah, considering how powerful rares seem to be in D4, it is a big mistake to leave them as tradeable.
Allowing Magic items to be tradeable? Could be fine. Seems like they are mostly meant for closing severe holes in your itemization.
Like; I desperately need a lot more fire resist, since all my gear lacks it, so I equip a magic item with double Fire resist, even though the item is overall worse than other items.
Trading those could still be useful, but also not having too big an impact, since presumably at no part of the gear progression, would you want to use Magic items if you had found better options.
Letting it serve the often mentioned purpose of bad luck protection, by helping to close those gamebreaking holes where you just havenā€™t been able to find enough fire resist on items.

2 Likes

And tell me what specifics we have that you seem to be making your judgement on? Iā€™d take logical inferences based on actual information given by Blizzard over an unverified rumor.

Limited trading and smart loot makes the game more loot driven, as youā€™re far more reliant on what youā€™re finding instead of what other players have found for you.

Besides, thereā€™s a plethora of ā€œloot-drivenā€ ARPGs and RPGs out there that donā€™t have trading. All ā€œloot-drivenā€ really means is you get equipment from the enemies you kill, and D4 will still be that.

I am skeptical about the stats. D3ā€™s stat system is pretty terrible.

1 Like

This is actually good news to those who want to SSF. This means that the loot can be common enough to reasonably expect you can find what you want to use. Even Brevik, D2ā€™s creator, said that making the game so emphasized on trading was a mistake. It basically makes getting the builds you want more of an auction house simulator than playing the game.

The best middle ground would be to make the loot maybe slightly less common than D3, but bind it when you equip it.

High-level loot can be traded only once, and low-level loot can be traded unlimitedly. Use the auction house to trade.

However, the trading scope cannot be limited to teammates or guild members.

The really powerful gear cannot be traded, other stuff only once, and yea low level as much as you want is what I have gathered.

I never said that they were not loot-driven, only that the genre was fading for me. Not saying the loot driven aspect is fading, just that the genre is going down the tubes. I hope I am wrong and D4 surprises me, I truly do. But if these leaks are true, it doesnā€™t bode well.

Counter thought: Why not have a potion you can buy that gives you X amount of time/kills where you get 50% less loot, but all the loot you get is geared toward your character. There ya go, a nice compromise. Not sure if I like it or not, but at least it balances it out, provides players a way to do both and gives you pros and cons to both methods.

thats great news. loot should not be tradable.

3 Likes

bear in mind the posters here donā€™t represent the average diablo fan. seeing as this is a D3 forum it makes sense that most of them will be on board with modern blizzard design decisions since theyā€™ve stuck around with D3 for this long.

1 Like

Are you referring to the people who only play D2 as the real ā€œdiablo fan.ā€
Many of the people on this forum have played every installment how about you?

I figured he was talking about that most D2 players and the original D3 with its RMAH that quite a few of them werenā€™t their because it was diablo and they were a fan but their purely to make money and the birth of the D3 bot that allowed them to play afk and just come on every so often to put the gear on the RMAH

Indeed, why are they used to the current situation of Diablo 3. They do not understand the importance of the trading system to an online game.

Itā€™s not really for ARPGs. Itā€™s more of a necessity since certain items have such low droprates, the only viable way to realistically get certain items requires you to trade. This is very different than trading in traditional MMOs, where crafting requires mats from more professions than an individual can choose to learn.

Both are by design, one leads to trade beint necessary the other important.

Iā€™ve been fine with the design since they removed trading. The idea of trading sounds like a good idea but in most games, itā€™s a dumpster fire.

Take D2R, it suffers the same problems that D2 suffered in itā€™s late daysā€¦ you could find a very nice legendary but nobody wants it. People only go around looking for the rarest of the rare and thatā€™s all they want for their standard legendaries like youā€™re seeking.

Me: I want that Schaefers.
Them: Got any Zod runes? Perfect roll XXXX?

Then you see the scam videos of people who swap in a plain item.

Reminds me of the pokemon GTS. Canā€™t even ask for a basic pokemon without the other person expecting a Mewtwo.

Thereā€™s isnā€™t one. Iā€™ve been playing online games for over two decades, Iā€™ve never liked trading, regardless of genre of game, but to me it goes against the core gameplay of an ARPG. Definitely not important in the slightest.

3 Likes

Correct :point_down:

Zaven: ā€œOur underlying philosophy here is we think it is the best when you can kill a monster, and get loot that way. So we want to make sure that whatever we do, we kinda respect that part of Diablo. It is core to Diablo.ā€

1 Like