Monk's set again without defense?!

as by tiltle, apart Inna and sunwuko, late all this time raiment and uliana again havent defence bonus, really?!

6 Likes

Monk and barb need HUGE updates. I hope they didn’t change this patch because they are holding all huge monk and barb patches change to announce all of it for blizzcon.

4 Likes

Ironically, Uliana is the most “tanky” of Monk’s builds.

What the monks need is:

Some DPS for META.
Buff to LTK.
A little buff for Uliana
Add immunity to CC for R6.

1 Like

And? If you are dying with Uliana, something is very wrong with you. Unlike Uliana, dying with Sunwuko and especially R6 is quite common.

what u saying?
uliana is more weak to defense of sunwuko and inna, if u dye with they, than u wrong gameplay.
sunwuko hava natural dmg reduction while uliana no.
uliana suffer like raiment becouse both haven’t defense on set, and both need spam pimary skill, untill cc immunity they get knockback continually, other piece dmg redaction no count if all can use it.

other problem of monk is that he is often forgotten, when other class receveid rings, him haven’t, same thing with on piece like helmet again with blue bonus is not cube possible (sunwuko need rorg, is no choise, as unity is for uliana and raiment.)
over to haven’t ring’s class, him have 5 elment too, cause coe is less usfull the other class…
him have not perma epifany like the DH, dh can attack long range and immunity to crowd control, monk throws a punch and get knockback. lol.

I could go on, however set bonus dmg reduction should be easy way at moment.
at least that…

i suggested to have all runes of epi up and running all time long for rainment like shadow.
innas set also has no def buff, its just.more def by all mantra. swk is kind of crap defense wise

Why the hell don’t you watch the BUILDS? Just analyze the builds for each set and see how much tougness each has. Sunwuko has set tougness, but Uliana has unity, Epiphany and Binding of The Lost.

simple, unity and epiphany u can use with sunwuko too.
binding of the lost is thinked for sss, but it lasts only 7 sec, too little time…

It can but it is not META. If you prefer to think so, just invest in vit + allres + armor, discard CHC and CHD …

ok, uliana is most tank monk’s set , now I have really read them all.

i’m tired, blizz please not change monk, him is perfect!
bye

This is the problem. Why are unity mandatory? Majority of solo builds in 2019 ditches unity, yet it is used widely in monk setups. ESPECIALLY Uliana and Raiment. Take unity off and see if these 2 sets meets the minimum req of solo toughness even on low tiers such as 110-115. Hence the conclusion these monk sets requires toughness imbued on to the set it self to opens up variety. Bottom line for unity is to be used as a personal tweak option, not mandatory.

U6 tankiness largely ties to your ability to remain airborne. Proper CDR geared u6 should have roughly 2 secs or less of down time. While airborne (SSS) you are immortal.

Your Raiment takes MoS-Agility , reason why your R6 Gen feels needing CC immunity. Proper push R6 gen removes mantra and use either serenity or inner sanctuary to be CC immune during fire cycle. With defense adds to Raiment set pcs, you wont need MoS 20% resistance.

CC immunity can not and should not be granted to a set bonus. It can be a by product for perma transformation skills (Beserker/vengeance/Ephiphany etc) . It needs to cost a skill (IP, serenity, IS etc) for balance reasons and it is whats happening to other classes as well.

4 Likes

Bye :wink:

What real question here? Whether or not uliana is the most tanky? The answer is simple, the viable build for uliana is the most tanky of all monk builds today. If it is for the use of unit, or because it gets invulnerable a bit of time, that’s another question. And no, uliana, it doesn’t need more toghness.
I think you guys just looking at the set and not the build, forget to look at support items.

MoS is used not because of lack of CC immunity, it is used because this build without it dies much more easily, it gives you a lot of tougness. As it stands, with high paragon only, CC immunity is much more advantageous.

“Can’t,” is a somewhat misleading expression.
Forgot R5 Lefebvre? It’s a bit different from the R6 gameplay, just serenely or sanct will still be bad. This build needs CC immunity, so so many players hate it, even with high paragon.
Just add CC immunity at Blinding Speed ​​for 5-7 seconds, that’s fair and makes perfect sense. It would in no way “unbalance the game”.

It depends what kind of support items you are talking about. Defensive slots worthy of defensive items. Offensive slots worthy of offensive items. Monk builds in general lacks dps. Ring slot is too valuable to trade for toughness. Sure its toughness like karini, arlyse, band of might where 60% melee, 80-85% DR its well worth it but is unity it?

Comparing Sets:

Wiz:
DMO: 60% reduced damage while Slow time is active
Firebird: up to 60% (3x 20 times ignite).
Tal: 25% of 4 types of elemental resistance increase
Vyr: 1% armor and resistance per archon stack.

WD:
Helltooth: 50% reduced damage for 10sec after applying Necrosis
Jade: No
Arachyr: 50% after summoning toad
Zuni: 3% less damage per fertish active

Necro:
Rathma: 1% damage reduction, up to 50 stacks so 50%
Tragoul: Double life
Inarius: 2% damage additonal reduction per enermy hit by bone armor. This is up to 75%
Pest: 50% as long as devouring some corpses to trigger auto lance

Crusader:
Akkhan: 50% less damage while AC is up
Rolands: 15%*5 = 75% damage reduction
Seeker of light: 50% damage reduction
Invoker: 50% damage reduction

DH:
Marauder: no
Natalya: 60% damage reduction
Shadow: shadow runes provides damage reduction
Unhallowed: 60% damage reduction

Barb:
Immortal King: no
Earth Quake: no
Raekor: no
Waste: 50% damage reduction

Monk:
Uliana: no
Inna: no
Raiment: no
SWK: 50% damage reduction

As you can see barb and monk sets are very behind comparing to other class sets. As a result extra mitigation item such as unity is needed, especially monk. Keep in mind barb has Band of might 80%, which is 50% extra damage reduction vs 60% spirit guard, hence monks relies on unity. Unity occupies a ring slot. If u6 receives 50% on to set bonuses, you can ditch EW and use FnR, remove unity. Adding hell fire or the new amulets such as Flavor of time double.

Now do you still think we over focus on build and not look at support items?

The demand is to OPEN UP MORE DIVERSITY. The less mandatory items needs, the more diversity can arise.

1 Like

I agree that monk doesn’t have toughness on most sets, but …
It will not increase diversity if you add toughness, what you are suggesting is just a power boost, if you remove unity to a native togness on set, we will be in the same situation with unity, in which case you will only have the same hardness, but with a possible power boost with FnR, and the gameplay will be exactly the same. In even simpler words: It will be the same, but we will have a slightly stronger Uliana ONLY.

Barb, Monk, Nec, Sader, DH, WD. ALL suffer at high GR’s. I can say that even with his 50% native Akkhan, it is even harder to survive lacunes and affixes than with Uliana.

Good summary. But I’m going to be a little nitpicky, a few sets that you have listed as no DR I’d argue actually do, just in a non-traditional sense.

MotE4 Massively buffs the bonus armor from Iron Impact rune (150% to 375% bonus armor), along with granting the rune for free. That ends up being roughly equivalent to maybe 40-45% DR if you were already running Iron Impact and are going from 150% to 375% bonus armor. And a massive 70-75% DR if you weren’t already running Iron Impact and are benefitting from the full 375% bonus armor.

Non-traditional, but the increased base Mantra and Mystic Ally effect from Inna2 grants some additional toughness and healing. Gloom from Shadow4 is only 35% DR, along with a crapton of Life per Hit from Blood Moon. I’d argue Inna’s is cut from the same cloth: less straight DR than other sets, but granting all runes of some skills (and buffing their effect, in the case of Inna’s) to increase toughness and healing.

Doesn’t really change the narrative though, even including those, barbs and monks still have less DR baked into their sets than other classes.

1 Like

Jade 6p has 50% DR and Helltooth 4p is 60% DR btw.

Also Vyr 6p has built in additional DR from stacks.

Roland 6p DR is multiplicative with each other, so at 5 stacks it’s 56% DR instead of 75%.

1 Like

One of basic non meta compositions requirements is builds that doesnt need unity to survive. D3 at this end of life stage should allow / open gameplay to cater all players. Meta players will always play meta, non meta players still can jump on, play their favorite game play and w/o feeling its NOT viable. 2 monks on uliana will find lets say 110 tiers so easy to kill but dies from time to time, losing pool/gem upgrade chances. So do moving unity DR % not opens up diversity?

In terms of solo, gearing for FnR not just 125% vs 100%. You free up the amulet spot, flavor of time nxt patch gets 2x pylon duration. It’s big factor in solo pushings. Mandatory unity builds locks this option away as EW is needed for damage % other wise. Thing is, if you dont like to fish pylons, you can still use EW and free ring slot for what ever you like. Rorg with augilds? rorg with captains? There are OPTIONS, not like current 1 build pigeon hole. Thats jst some uliana brainstorming. Raiments is in similar boat, imagine free ring, what about rue chambers? Can infused with light taken off and put on another utility skill? Maybe it work maybe it doesnt. All based on whether DR% can be added onto set.

Yeah i kinda hesitated whether to include those. But left those out to keep the narrative simple straight forward.

Tyvm. Not a WD player. Guess my phone app is out dated that didnt include the newer Jade changes. Rip i thought its 5*15% for Rolands… damn big mistake and i push Rolands too.

Regardless the mistakes, the narrative is that monk and barb are behind vs other class sets DR bonuses.

Definitely, and I hate sets that don’t have any built-in DR and rely on other items to provide the DR needed because that often means much less build variety.

Uliana is one of them, and the belt mechanics is annoying and stupid because it overwrites all of the stacks every time SSS hits something instead of refreshing the timer. If monsters die too fast and SSS only hits 5 times, the belt only gives 25% DR.

Honestly I like the build, that’s why I have it equipped on one of my monks so I can play it from time to time, but it’s also one of the few builds I don’t want to augment in its current form.

5 Likes

the new monk set is absolute garbage

3 Likes

yep very sad :frowning: im very scared for the rest of the sets for other classes .

1 Like