Mirror Images : the art of cat herding

now we have the new updated FB numbers from blizzard, the updated maxroll FB/MI build guide and the utube FB/MI videos on how to play images. with only 50 stacks on the 4pc we are left with 100% uptime on deathwish builds.

1. shielding DW/MI
  2. non shielding DW/MI
  3. control DW/MI

all 3 version require 100% uptime on deathwish, 100% squirts and do crazy damage. i know your asking yourself how do you control your images, they just run all over the place doing there own thing. well in fact they don’t they just run around, there shy and just need some respect to shine. but first let’s see the option’s.

1. shielding = so with this version you have magic weapon to keep your squirts up, so thats good. you then have a choice powerfull gem for crazy dps but images will die. or enforcer gem that will do no more damage but will keep images alive. top tip if you using this build if you cast images while channeling disintergate, the images will spawn with shields.

2. no shielding = now this build uses frost nova to freeze monsters so that they dont attack your images. you run with enforcer gem to again keep your images alive, but does not bring more damage. because you have no shield you prolly and will lose squirts.

3. control = first let’s get the elephant out of the room, for control you need to be using gizzard gem. this is only taken to give you a shield to keep squirts up, nothing more. but by doing that you have now a free skill slot.

now before i mention what goes in that slot, let me talk about images.
there funny dancing ladies on a 15sec cooldown when you pick duplicate rune you get 4 of them.
they last 7 sec, and die very easy.
when cast they spawn behind you in a V pattern with two either side of you, they will run forward and start attacking.
with new FB set they do crazy damage.
area damage does not work with new set, and attack speed will not make images attack faster.
they will also very often just stand or just run in circles dancing :slight_smile: and that’s the real secert sauce.

now let me intruduce you to control. so you running with gizzard for the shield to keep squirts, you have a free slot now where magic weapon/frost nova was. we are going to use another skill that is rarely used slowtime - time warp this is 60yd bubble of pure slow also on a 15sec cooldown. while not increasing attack speed it’s self you have slowed monster allowing the ladies freedom to carry out there merry dance of doom. you have also dropped a massive bubble of slow with a +15% damage mod on a massive dot, i don’t do number’s but in theory it’s a big number.

ok so i cast my bubble of doom, what now there just gonna run off and do there own thing like they always do. where is the control how do you keep images in one spot.

well like i said the dancing ladies are shy and turns out they need there own space. so when you cast them they each drop there own bubble of doom, making what i like to call the chop shop. now that you have shown the ladies some respect and given them there own space to dance in. there very happy to stay in there own bubbles doing a lotta damage with there merry dance of doom.

what ever your build i hope you all have fun in sanctuary this coming season.

9 Likes

Huh, I haven’t tried it, but this seems like kind of a hassle. Hoping to try SB, hydra, electrocute, and MM, and see what feels good.

1 Like

no problem dude, tbh i’m gonna be doing the same. but alas with only 50stacks using these skill will prolly not feel as smooth as they did during ptr.

i was just putting out there that images have a pattern. it would appear when the game dev’s designed images, they hard coded there animation around being in a 60yd slow time bubble.

who know’s maybe they always had the thought of like combo skills F/Blades + M/Images + SlowTime = destruction.

images are not dumb there just misunderstood. you just can’t see the bubble area so you think there lazy, when there just standing there doing nothing. now you put a monster in her bubble area and it’s bye, bye monster.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, so the best would be is to find a nice cluster of mobs.

1. Cast slow time.
  2. Cast mirror images.
  3. Enjoy :cowboy_hat_face:
1 Like

your welcome.

you got the idea bud, tag a nice group bring it to elite. drop a slowtime, cast images and they will do there thing.

one thing i don’t know is if the slow +15% mod on the bubble stacks. because sometimes if fighting in a tight area, or against rg they stack them like traffic cones.

1 Like

I highly doubt it, but not certain maybe one of the forumadrim Elders can illuminate us :slight_smile:

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA!

You made my wizard happy!

1 Like

whats btw with the hat that nets you a chance to spawn more MI’s when one is killed? Did anyone try to build a whole army of MIs? :smiley:

Could go into the cube slot instead of mantle of channeling.

1 Like

from my testing so far. you can only have a max of 4 images out, not matter what. the basic rune only has 2 images so Archmage’s Vicalyke will get you more but the small change is not worth the item slot imo.

1 Like

That actually makes sense. It would be rational to expect the AI to take advantage of their slow time bubble. Clever, though I think FB shouldn’t rely on them so completely. I think you wouldn’t use them if you could channel and proc at the same time. Here’s a question, can a second wizard in your party trigger the procs as well? If so, wouldn’t a wizard with max images and maxed IAS be invaluable in a 2man+? Assuming that works obviously.

You have a build link or perhaps some YT footage? I looked over at maxroll, but they don’t have a variant that uses Slow Time.

1 Like

Replace magic weapon/frost nova with slow time and I think you wear that regen gem. That’s literally it, explained in the post. Pop slow time, pop mirror and they will do their own slow times and stick inside the bubbles since the AI seems to favor making use of the slow time bubbles.

3 Likes

The use of slow time feels a lot more wizardly, however it still cannot take away the pure awkwardness of Firebird/MI game play.

1 Like

yeah i really like the slow time, though prolly not the best set-up for solo. the highest i cleared solo so far is 111 using MI/Twister with slowtime variant.

slowtime really shines in group play, though you wanna use the stretch time rune as this buffs allies and images attack speed. on the eu server the top 2 clears so far this season with gr150 both used slowtime - stretch time.

Tried the Slow Time. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make Images particularly smarter. Definitely not for bounties, that’s for sure.
Sometimes they put their domes out and still run behind my back, as they often do; sometimes they stack all their domes inside mine and sit there, as if the world around them doesn’t exist.

ST should make more sense in high GR I think, and of course the ideal situation is when you can put them in a narrow corridor, completely surrounded by mobs - in that case, MIs have nowhere to run and have to put themselves to work, whether they like it or not.

Regarding the more general question of feline management, I was thinking whether their habit of backing away could be made exploitable… Will need to contemplate on it a bit, I see it way too often to ignore a possibility.

1 Like

i have changed items and skills from the build above but the gameplay is just the same. this is now i play the build is this season.

Firebird Mirror Images : The art of cat herding - YouTube

You should move around less when using the build. You actually lose a significant amount of damage, even if you’re simply teleporting to slap some images down and going back. The longer you stand like a statue, the better.

That’s because slow time is a steaming pile. I’m still annoyed we have to use mirror images terrible AI, which in Mirror Image’s case stands for absolute incompetence.

Slow time is actually very good for the build. I might try it again and see if it’s better then using frost nova. Frost Nova is pretty nice, but Slow Time has no limit on it’s CC effectiveness.

We may be playing different classes. Slow Time is garbage. It used to deal damage when enemies were underneath it though - that was cool.