Mempo of Twilight Feedback

Update (8/24/2022):

Original Posting Below:

I’ve been looking over planners. Will update after testing on live. Initial Feedback below.

• Mempo of Twilight: Meteor Shower rune is now applied to all casted Meteors and deals 300–400% increased damage.

#1: Archon.

LoD Meteor Archon will still be available with this item. This will overshadow Tal Rasha completely.

Possible Solution: Outright ban or prevent archon from being used when Mempo is equipped. I normally don’t like to recommend this type of mod but we’re that desperate. Open to suggestions here.

#2: No Arcane Power on Crit.

Mempo with the two hander configuration means no Arcane Power on Crit affix.

This incentivizes using either Deathwish or LoD Archon as both of those style builds allow source / Wizard Hat.

Possible Solution: Turn Mempo into a Wizard Hat. Add APoC as an eligible affix, as well as +Max AP.

#3: Default Affixes.

Mempo has +All Resistance and Attack Speed affixes Defaulted.

+All Resistance is flat out worse than VIT, +Armor, and Life%. Plus it’s a required defensive affix. Some builds want offensive affixes instead, and option for single resistance.

Attack Speed can be nice for certain builds, so it would be good to leave as an option in the affix pool, but IMO should not be required here.

Possible Solution: Remove default affixes.

#4: Deathwish.

Meteor shower affix causing delay + Deathwish only having a 1s delay means we can still place this item, and benefit from it a decent bit.

Mempo is a helm. It forces us to use Tal Amulet. Opening that up for Squirt’s, Orb of infinite Depth, or Captain Crimson’s is a very nice boost with Tal. With LoD, we get an extra source as well.

Not sure how to “solve” this yet or if it even needs to be solved, just something notable. Will update this one after testing.

#5: Two Handers.

Staves, or two handers in general kind of suck vs. One handers.

• Average Damage is Lower (2,540 with OneHand+Source vs. 2325 on TwoHand).
  • We lose a ton of potential stats to pad toughness, Area Damage, APoC, etc.
  • Slower base Attack Speed.
  • Lose a potential set slot for Tal Rasha / Firebirds.

The benefit of Two Handers just needs to be higher to compete, or something special needs to be granted to offset these sacrifices.

8 Likes

You need to leave an option for Archon Meteor TK in meta 4P, cant just over leaning towards solo playstyle even though solo is at a disadvantage. Solution to improve set performances aka Tal is to buff its 6pc bonus to exceed what LoD grants.

I am leaning towards DW. Smouldering seems unstable. Do you have more details regarding smouldering like how long does smouldering buff lasts? (If applicable?)

1 Like

Said before, but non-crusaders and non-bows 2-handers should have an inherent bonus (like a strong non-legendary affix) on the weapon itself to make it worth equipping without losing out in comparison to dual wielding and/or 1 handers + off-hands combos.

2 Likes

10k% on Tal6 at a minimum to match LoD would be nice. I’d be careful of overbuffing Tal though, in this past this meant it overshadows, and every build becomes a Tal build (Twister, FO, Hydra, etc. would all be Tal composites).

Not yet, I was not interested in the autoproc meteor reverse archon setups on PTR and skipped over that one in favor of other builds. Tinne has though, his initial analysis here: PTR Set Tracker - #10 by TinneOnnMuin-1187 - PTR Feedback - Diablo 3 Forums

I’ll get back to you when I can =)

1 Like

I know this won’t be popular and I’m playing a broken record - wrecking ball solution:
Swap either Swami’s (preferred) or Fazula’s legendary power and Vyr (2) piece bonus.

Regarding Smoldering Core and the demerits of a 2H weapon. How about making a 2H weapon worth it? We could do it like Oblivion suggested, or simply be redesigning the staves according to what you need. For Tal Rasha, if it becomes the go-to set for Meteor, it could be mobility and APoC.How about adding these extra (=additional primary) affixes to that item?

Reduces cooldown of Teleport by 8-10 seconds
Critical Hits grant 6-8 Arcane Power

and then have the secondary power a guaranteed
+25-30 to Maximum Arcane Power

Reason:
This makes that specific staff quite appealing for a Meteor build. Though you loose out on missing affixes, from having no source, you will definitely gain a lot with these two powerful buffs. Better yet, these affixes won’t interfere with other classes, even if they wear that thing.

1 Like

Agreed. I’d go further to say reverse archon playstyle needs to be taken out of not only meteor, but other non-Vyr builds. Best solution is to make archon stacks only amplify damage while in archon (and make Vyr grant an exception). Then, meteor should be changed to snapshot its damage on cast.

I might make a more detailed post about this later.

3 Likes

Don’t bother. I already did it for years. The best solution, I think, would be archon stacks to increase the damage of archon skills. +250 stacks at 6% more archon damage a stack would be ~1300% more damage to Arcane Blast/Archon punch and Disintegration Wave. I think the skills do laughable damage right now. 870% off the top of my head?

Chantodo’s would take one in the back, but Chantodo’s needs a redesign anyway. When Chant’s does something like 95% of Vyr damage, there’s an issue.

Ideal Fix: Move Smoldering Core to the affix-less Wand Blackhand key.

Possible Fix #2: Prodigy. Redesign this useless passive. Maybe the oft-suggested “equip a 2handed staff and use a source at the same time” would be fitting.

Possible Fix #3: Revamp Tal Rasha’s set bonii. Increase the TR damage bonus to 2500% damage/elemental stack and add “Meteor restores APOC” to the six.

• This does not fix the survivability and mobility issues of Tal 4, however. But this desperately needs to be fixed anyway.

Option Four: the D3 Devs write off TR completely and tell us to play Diablo 4. /shrug

BONUS: Make Mempho of Twilight a Wizard helm.

1 Like

Not just Chantodo but Manald Heal as well. Using archon skills themselves to deal damage sounds rather boring. That’s part of why Chantodo and Manald Heal were invented.

Then there’s Firebirds where the set bonus does virtually 100% of the damage instead of the skill(s) used to proc it.

Honestly the archon skills not doing any real damage is my biggest issue with the Vyr set. Hopefully they have Vyr massively buff the Archon skills damage and then either redesign Chantodo and or have Chantodo lower all damage except for the waves of destruction in order to preserve the current Vyr Chantodo playstyle while still properly allowing for a Vyr Archon playstyle that actually rely on the Archon skills to deal damage.

Chantodo this Chantodo that. There are more interesting Vyr playstyles than these auto-cast WoDs. For instance, the archon beam allows for a very engaging ranged playstyle.

Manald heal relied on the beam to proc its paralysis effect, so essentially it felt as if the beam were doing the damage. I’ve made several proposals to bring MH Archon back into play.

I’m fine with manald heal getting some attention (although it would only help lightning archon, and other lightning builds). My main hope is that the archon skills themselves would get a major buff, preferably via the vyr set.

1. Lightning needs the most help out of all 4 wiz elements (name me a meta, pure lightning wiz build?)
  2. The point was that MH would make it feel like you’re using archon skills (the beam) to deal damage. Contrast Chantodo which is just autocast WoDs. There’s no need to literally make archon skills deal damage provided the feel/gameplay is the same.

As I already said, I’m fine with manald heal getting buffed along with other lightning items (if necessary). However my primary hope is that the Archon skills can actually deal damage regardless of their elements, as I actually like all 3 of the Archon skills (especially archon strike). And that would require buffing more than just manald heal.

That’s fine, as long as Manald heal trumps COE’s 50% damage bonus, it works. It could simply function as is, but instead of weapon damage it does multiplicative lightning damage. say 60-70%. That would make Lightning 20% better than COE, a very attractive draw and would probably force a meta shift.

It may be unimaginative, but Chantodo’s could redesigned to increase damage by 10% per stack consumed when you transform into for 30 seconds. That would be a 200% damage bonus for 30 seconds, which is probably ballpark for a 2 set bonus.

Manald Heal is supposed to be used together with CoE. That’s core to the rotation-based MH Archon playstyle and what makes the build so fun.

You have the option to use both and forego Karini, for sure.

Just tested, and like many of you thought, Mempo meteor shower rune effect only works for manually casted meteors. Meteors auto-casted by Tal-Rasha and/or legacy Etched Sigil don’t benefit from the meteor shower rune bonus from Mempo.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, but Mempo is still a helm, so no apoc. And it still has All resistances and attack speed as default affixes. At least that’s my conclusion after reforging one a few dozens of time.

5 Likes

Thank god. Thanks for testing.

1 Like

Nice to know ty for sharing that.

1 Like

They do get the 400% damage bonus, however

This means that, at least for non-Star Pact non-Molten Impact setups, they do still contribute a noticeable amount to your dps.

e.g. if you are running Comet/Thunder Crash/unruned, you get 7x 740% weapon damage on impact meteors from Mempo. But then you can also get several (2-3) additional meteors per cast from TR2, say another 740% for one cold/lightning/arcane auto meteor + another 1648% fire auto meteor. So the TR2 auto meteors will still be contributing something like 30-40% of your dps depending on how many auto TR2 meteors you can push out per manual meteor cast.

The auto meteors will not contribute as much to your dps for Star Pact and Molten Impact setups though.

4 Likes