Make "legendaries" "uniques" again

Yeah it’s great for normal, magic and rare item. No problem with that. But for legendary? it feels bad. Your post name is Make “legendaries” “uniques” again. It doesn’t make them feel “Unique” if there is a lvl 9 version (that you’ll throw in the garbage at lvl 12) and a lvl 70 capped.

Kiss or curse comes to mind here…

Imagine the base max vitality a chest piece can have is 100, with 4 potential other affixes - but instead you give a chest 500 vitality and 15% maximum life… But it can roll no other stats, have no gem, or rune slots. This item would make you incredibly tanky, but reduce damage output potential significantly…

Differentiating legendaries:

• Some with unique powers that change the effect of a spell in a unique way (not with a 1000% modifier), such as “fates of the fell” where you get 3 beams of heavens fury
  • Some that have a unique stat characteristic (like what I mentioned above, kiss or curse)
  • Some that might roll a bonus affix so has the potential to be incredibly powerful

Now with the consumable, you could still take the power off the first type of legendary, but the others would be powerful in their own right.

I do feel that legendaries should always be unique and matter though (a level 7 legendary should still serve a purpose at level 40), with a stupidly low drop chance that increases slightly later in the game.

1 Like

Huge problem of D3 itemization was items being too generic.
There was no “tier-ing”.
Being unique item should mean it is meant to be played early/mid/end/lateend game and introduces certain mechanics.
In D1 - butcher cleaver - iconic item - slow attack speed, great dmg but wide spread. Early to mid game.
In D2 - grand father - iconic as well - mid to end game.
You almost knew what is does and how it behaves just by reading it’s name :slight_smile:
Bring it back to D4 !!!

Look if legendaries where changed where they don’t have any special properties and functioned identical to D2 uniques you would have that problem. When late endgame arrives new players wouldn’t know what properties to hunt for because they have never been exposed to them until the late endgame.

In the current design they will be exposed to a pretty good deal of them, well at least enough to have an idea of what they want on the idea rare item.

I think it depends on, if the forging is permanent
I mean, as he said, you cant choose, what legendary item you find
But when you find it, you should be able to test it somehow
I would personally just start dropping them from the beginning as i would remove it from the legendaries

Look I like others want D4 to be able to stand on its own merit. Instead of being a copy and paste of D2. That is how it should be for the entire game.

Removing everything that is good and replace it with something and see how it turns out? Bad idea

1 Like

So then like so many others that I have ran into you want D4 to be a prettier clone of D2:LOD. Where the only change is the story along with new monsters, new items, etc… and maybe a few new classes. Where you don’t have to change a thing about how you play a Diablo game. Where nostalgia rules the day. That will get stale very fast indeed. I want D4 like I said to stand on its own merits. Where they improve the best of all three Diablo games if possible. Making a game that would be loved by all that have played Diablo games.

That game would have the best chances of being the best Diablo game of all time. A Diablo game that would move the franchise forward instead of going backwards. That is what I want D4 to be and will still keep speaking about it whether you like it or not.

Well again, you are simply uncapable of understanding or compensating, what i am saying

Then how am I suppose to see that line where you said.

That does hint please make D4 a prettier D2 clone and have end with it.

Not at all
Because not everything was good in D2
Itemization however, was good

1 Like

Thats their way to “prevent” teleport abuse.
At the same time its totally bad to teleport to a random position since positioning is tactical and if you get teleported to a bad spot OH WELL BAD LUCK LOL.
Silly implementation of this power.

Legendary items can keep their special properties while still having set, or static stat categories to fill out the rest.

I don’t see any problem with this lack of exposure of Legendary properties prior to endgame. Whether you figure out your endgame gear at level 20 or 40 doesn’t really matter. Putting the effects on items found earlier in the game will just make them feel less exiting when you find them later. This is a negative outcome brought on by trying to fix a problem I just don’t see.

Exposing players to legendary properties earlier means that they will learn about them and what they can do for their build. So that when they find that endgame piece of gear that is near perfect for their build they will know what property they need to put on it.

They get used to seeing them. Otherwise it is like wait a moment what is this thing. This has something that I have never seen before.

Fixed stats on legendary items have the problem of being only for a very, very, very small niche builds if not done right. Or worse, I would love to use x legendary property on y legendary but the stats won’t help me as much as +2 to all skills will so that item is junk or some other stat that is more useful.

You might have a build in D4 that is thorns and like thorns here crit doesn’t help it a bit. But the special property that can help the skill that causes thorns is on a piece that has crit chance and crit damage, two totally useless stats to you. So that item would be seen as junk.

Maybe someone would like to build a crit thorns build
How can you know?
There can be uniques for everyone and they can always add new ones

Look I am sure that you know in this game crit does nothing for thorns because thorns cannot crit. I was using it as an example to show that it is possible to have a legendary with fixed stats but those stats do nothing for your build. It is a waste of affixes to have them it really is that simple and D4 will likely have things like that.

It gets worse if the have + to all skills, because that is awful hard to beat. Now if it is + certain skills that might be better. But still if there is a legendary that has + to the skill you are using then you will want that legendary instead of anything else, because the damage boost from + to skills is usually higher than other affixes.

Why do you think, blizz would create pointless uniques?
That sounds more like a combination of affixes that appear on a random roll
And stop telling me i always want something with + skills
I use what i want

It would be a really stupid design if Blizz put Crit chance on a Legendaries that has the purpose to boost thorns (except if that specific power is Thorns can crit.)

Porcupine shoulder

• 200-250 Defense
  • +50-70 maximum hit point
  • +3-5 critical hit chance
  • +10-20% critical strike damage
  • Your Thorns damage can now deal critical damage.

But what I like with the new consumable is if you really don’t like the affixes on the Legendary, you can put that Legendary Power on a rare item with good affix for you.

The trouble with what you proposed is that you just might make thorns builds kings of the game. I do believe that is the reason why Blizz doesn’t let thorns crit.

Well, it’s all about balance and number I guess. If they feel crit on thorn is too strong, it could become “Thorn can crit but your thorn damage is reduced by X%”. But thorn wasn’t really important, it was an example. The point is more, Legendary will probably have affix that synergize with their special legendary power. But if you don’t like those specific affix or they doesn’t fit your build, you can still use the Legendary Power and put it on a rare item with the affixes you want.