Make "legendaries" "uniques" again

Look there might be those in such a system that would take less than the best. But the majority will gravitate towards the best if there is a clear best by a long shot. That is what can happen with fixed stats.

i dont think, that you can easily say, what is the best, when the game is balanced in a way, that not only DPS counts
and thats exactly what David Kim is saying

I am not talking about just DPS here I am talking about all stats. Just think of this game back to the days of vanilla. If you played during those days you would know that there were some sets and legendaries that were BiS for all builds and all classes. All because of the DPS stats of course.

This is what can happen with fixed stats on gear. That is regardless of whether they are DPS stats or not.

Its simply bad balancing

Doesn’t matter why D3 vanilla was the way that it was. Still with fixed stats you do run the danger of having only a limited amount of legendaries being used just because of the fixed stats. Where it could be only a small handful are good for all builds and all classes.

OP is right. D3 Legendary items aren’t memorable. Higher numbers don’t make something interesting. “Unique” items weren’t so popular just because they were powerful, but because they were different from every other item. Having set stats (with ranges) gave these items an identity, something all these years later so many of us still remember.

If Legendary items use random stat categories with special abilities also found on rares what makes these items interesting? Their text being a different color and some more power does not translate into personality or anything people will care about long term. It’s a boring route to take.

4 Likes

This is only a problem if you fail in designing a large variety of good items for every play style. The ones that are OP and over used should be balanced. And rare items should also compete when they roll all the right categories in the right amounts. Granted it’s more work but the payoff is much more memorable items. If the only thing differentiating item types is the text color and some power I don’t imagine we’re going to be all that exited when we see a Leg drop.

It is still a danger that might be hard to prevent. It gets worse if they don’t have any legendary properties at all. Thrusting new players with legendary properties at late endgame for the first time won’t help. The system they have right now will gradually introduce them to those properties. Then when they find them on legendaries they know which ones to be looking for at late endgame to put on rares.

I didn’t go through all comments and I’m not sure if this has been suggested but what if we make Legendary Items look incredibly different to any other items. This will make them unique. Make these look unavailable in (if they add it) Transmogs or Cosmetic Micro Transactions. Being decked out in a fully optimized rare gear with legendary affix should not look as impressive as having Legendary gear. That should give some players a reason to grind for the perfectly rolled legendary item.

I really don’t think a lack of familiarity with Legendary properties before endgame is an issue. There will be respecs for talents and all skills can be acquired so players will be able to experiment with builds along the way. And Legendary items are found anyways, not chosen. You work with what you have until you find something you like more.

But I didn’t say anything about Legendary items not having Legendary properties on them?

I’m all for Legendary items having a unique look but in the end most players are going to go with the most powerful items when pushing through content, even at the expense of better looking options.

The look is the least important aspect of a weapon
Its just the surface
Sure its nice when they are creative
But u cant just go and copy a rare, redesign the model and call it unique
Its an game with content after all

Legendaries/Uniques

I would like to have Specific affixes on Legendaries items. You know if you find that specific Legendary you will have thoses 4 very specific affix + that legendary power.

Let’s take Cindercoat (Chest piece) as an example. I would like to have something like:

• +500-600 Defense
  • +200-250 HP
  • +25-40% Fire resist
  • +15-25% Increased Fire damage
  • Legendary affix: Your fire skills ressource cost is reduced by 30%

I also hope that the level of the Legendaries item is always the same. No scaling with my level ! No level 1 Cindercoat that will be completely useless because it gives 5 armor, +2% fire resist, +1% fire damage, etc… I’ll be much more happy to find a Cindercoat from a wooden barrel when I’m level 1 and it has lvl 66 required and good rolls. I will be eager to reach this level to equip it ! Instead of… Damn I wasted my luck on a level 1 item… I wish it dropped at max level instead…

I also really like the new consumable that gives a Legendary Power to a Rare item. First, because I can create many build using more then one chest Legendary power. Second, if the specific affixes on the Legendary item doesn’t fit with my build, I can still use the Legendary power and add it to a Rare that has the right affixes for my playstyle. If a Legendary gloves has attack speed and cold resist, but I’m already capped in cold resist and I don’t need Attack speed, I want Cooldown reduction for my build. Then I use that Power on my rare gloves with CR.

Hm i dont think, loot should be out of your level
When you find legendaries in early game, they can carry you over quite a time and thats cool
Some time they will become useless ofc
Thats how it rolls
But the whole game, just collecting for max level, is lame
The journey is the goal

2 Likes

totally agree with you +1

Well I personally think that’s the opposite. Because it means that the items are completely (or almost) useless until you reach the max level. So your journey isn’t really worth it if you cannot use what you found during your journey during the Endgame phase.

Have a level requirement on a Legendary doesn’t mean you’ll never be able to use it for leveling. They can creates many lower level Legendary. And those lower legendary can ASLO be playable at max level. Let’s use an example:

Hermes boots (Lvl 17 requirements)

• +20-30 Defense (Low defense)
  • +35% Increased movement speed (That’s the only item in that game that gives more then 30%. That’s unique to that Legendary)
  • +3% Attack speed (That’s the only boots in the game that gives attack speed.)
  • You deals 20% increased damage while moving but take 5% more damage.
  • You deals 20% less damage while not moving.

This item is perfectly usable at max level AND at low level for leveling. If it suits your build (Any DoT, pets, movement skills builds, etc.) this item will be insane for you! The only counter part is the low defense armor because that a low level items.

Lol no, you can already see in a demo - this one makes you teleport to a random location + other regular affixes. Omg so powerful.

Idk
Its part of looting games
Ur not supposed to keep stuff that you find with level 10
Ur supposed to find it again later
Its additional gameplay, to find all the gear, you want, when you hit max level or max gear level

Well, I just can’t follow you. First you say “the journey is the goal”, then you say that you have to find the same gear again at max level. I don’t understand but I’m cool with it. We have different point of view and opinions. I won’t argue with somebody opinions.

My point is just, most of the time we will only get a fraction of the desire items for our aiming build during the leveling/campaign. But if I get 1 or 2 of the legendary that I really want for my build but they become completely obsolete at the end. Then the journey is pointless.

I mean, you find stuff while leveling up
You use it, at some point you sell it and u find new stuff
Its not about hording for later
What u need later, you find later