Make "legendaries" "uniques" again

what do you mean? i think, every item should have the chance to roll with and without them
or even get rid of them…im not rlly convinced of this system atm…

that would be the equivalent of legendary items lacking in one area to force us to balance out items in each slot… legendary items could in return get even crazier unlocks on angelic, demonic or ancestral powers…

well yea
again, i dont see uniques being overpowered by any means, if done right

so we would not have to cap them off, from some things

i was thinking about, magic items could provide higher numbers of power stats, to make them relevant

Honestly I like the idea that “legendary” affixes should be limited to consumables only so unique items can return with their original purpose.

I think itemization would be easier to balance around that.

3 Likes

right? they just have a much better appeal, as they are in D2

It certainly fits better lore wise. A legendary has inherent power that’s specific to the item so including both feels rather redundant.

I also like the idea of consumables and it makes sense that “power” can exist unbound to items.

Now we’re balancing items that don’t affect skills until late game when consumables drop.

This forces players to experiment with normal affixes first then gradually adapt legendary power later after gaining more experience.

1 Like

yea i could buy that
i wouldnt even mind, if the legendary consumables start dropping mid game
but uniques should be something else and not just a part of that

Mythic items could roll similar to unique items but also harness more than one legendary consumable. Just an idea.

Absolutely agree and the fact that they remove the ancient legenderies gives me hope that the devs are going in the right direction

1 Like

i would not mind those ancients, stay like they are
just being something really powerful
although im kinda concerned about too many “effects” might ending up like in PoE XD

If legendaries could benefit from the consumable, then there’d be no question that they would be far more superior than rare items. I’m not against legendary items having stats that are unique to each legendary item, that said if that doesn’t become the case, then I wouldn’t have an issue with that either as legendary items will still have use; as there’s no guarantee that a person could find their ideal rare item and consumable.

Uniques looks more mystic than Legendaries. That’s my opionion :sunglasses:

what makes a unique item that, f.e. just has like…+30% fire damage and +20% casting speed surperior to a rare, that has +10 all res, +10% cast speed, +2 to fireball, +20% resist stun, +10% fire damage
if both are able to equip the legendary power, that splits the fireball into 3 missles?

and im not good at balancing, im just making an example

Well in that scenario, that may actually make the legendary item inferior to the rare item, of course that probably depends on how much fire power the “+2 to fireball” affix grant to the user.

I agree. Legendaries should have some “locked” affixes, e.g. Stone of Jordan #1: 13X, 5Y, 6Z. Stone of Jordan #2: 13X, 6Y, 5Z. The X, Y, Z are always on that item when on other Legendary it is E, F, G. This will make every Legendary uniq.

Rares shouldn’t have affixes from the same pool as Legendaries, otherwise Legendary X, Y, Z is same as Rare X, Y, Z, the only difference is Legendary Power which with new Consumables we can add to any Rare item, so Legendary won’t be “Legendary” any more.

Pls start calling them uniques :v

Short answer:

No

Longer answer:

Much longer answer:

Most uniques in Diablo 2 were utterly useless because their chance to drop was so rare that the probability of getting one when you could actually make use of it was slim to none and often they were weaker than rares which were much easier to obtain. (And don’t get me started on the runewords that were introduced starting with patch 1.10).

There’s a false equivalency I’ve seen a few times connecting D3 Legendaries (as they are now) with Uniques from D2.

The basic flow of items in D2 is like the following:

Normal < Magic < Rare ll Unique & Set

To elaborate, generally speaking a magic item will be better than a normal item and a rare item will generally be better than a magic item. Are there some exceptions? Yes, but they are few and far in between. Sets and Uniques are off to themselves. Their rarity combined with their lack of overall usefulness/uselessness puts them outside the normal flow of item progression. I would go so far as to say that if they were removed from the game they wouldn’t be missed because their impact in the grand scheme is negligible.

Note: I’m ignoring runewords because of the distorted effect they have similar to sets in D3 (see below).

Now lets look at D3

Normal < Magic < Rare < Legendary ll Sets

Legendary items fit within the item progression unlike Uniques in D2. Sets are the outlier (and I would argue the biggest problem with D3 due to their effect in power creep and the way they distort the itemization progression).

While I would expect a solid not-heavily grinded end game character to be equipped with mostly if not all rares in D2, I would expect a similar character in D3 to be equipped with mostly if not all Legendary items in D3 because they are in the item progression not outside of it like Unique items from D2. The notion that Legendary items should be removed or put outside the item progression because they decreased the usefulness of rares is as silly as wanting Rares removed from D2 because they reduced the usefulness of Magic items compared to D1.

I’m being quite honest when I say this, but if you were to remove Sets from the equation, the item progression is good in D3. If you actually play the campaign from level 1, you find mostly Normal items, followed by Magic, then by Rare, and maybe an occasional Legendary. The further you progress in difficulty the higher your chance to find better quality items on the progression scale which I feel is a good system because it more directly rewards players through challenge/effort and not “you got lucky with RNG” which plagued D2. I mean can someone explain to me why when I kill Hell Meph in D2 I have a better chance to find items that are more appropriate to a character in Act 1 Normal than something I can actually use?

I suppose I’m starting to digress too far from the topic at hand, but I will say that after giving it some though, I’m not a fan of the consumable idea in D4 because like runewords in D2 and sets in D3 it breaks the item progression and is a distortion that will lead to a form of power creep. Instead of making a choice about what to use, it’s a game of finding the best stat stick to put the attribute on where all you care about is power.

And I’ve prattled on long enough. I’ve got some other thoughts that I’ve been meaning to post but I haven’t wanted to take the time and this latest news has thrown me for a loop as I’ve gone from being excited for what I’ve heard to being quite skeptical (and I don’t even know if I’m being coherent because of the cough medicine I’m on).

1 Like

i think we have a very different point of view on this
i actually dont want uniques to be stronger than rares
so white<magic<rare=unique=set, is basically, what i am looking for :smiley:

and thats also, what blizzard was attempting, when putting the consumables into the rares

so suggestion was just, to take of the legendary powers from the uniques and make them similar in power, to the rares in the first place and then, enabling the consumables on both of them :slight_smile:

and as i said, i DONT want the uniques, to be stronger, most of the time, like the legendaries in D3
i want them to be special for certain build, fun builds, characteristic builds

I do want Legendaries to be stronger - not absurdly rare trinkets that you find and are rather useless a.k.a Uniques in Diablo 2.

I find no logical reason why there can’t be a tier of items better than Rare. If you’re going to neuter them with a consumable, then just remove Legendaries, Sets, and Legendary power consumables completely and have just Normal, Magic, and Rare items. Heck, lets even remove Rare items because they are nothing more than bloat. Just Normal and Magic items. It was fine for D1, so it should be fine for D4. That’s the crux for every argument trying to justify why Rare items should be mandated to be endgame viable. “That’s how it was in D2 and by gum that’s how it should be in every game going forward,” though it’s generally steeped in wording to make it sound like anything but a plea to regress the game 20 years into the past.

The fact is Rare, Unique/Legendary, and Set à la D2 will never be equal because of scarcity. There is no parity when 2 of the three have a lower drop rate to the point that you wouldn’t notice if they were missing.

And if you flip it around to make it so that Legendary items the next item progression but try to shoe horn in some cockamamie mechanic like Legendary power consumable to keep a rare item useful beyond what its useful life should be, not only are you defeating the purpose of a Legendary item with a Legendary power, but you’re solving a “problem” in a convoluted manner.

There is no reason why an “endgame” character in D4 could not be equipped with 1 lucky Mythic item, a couple of Legendary items that complement the build the player wants to use, and the rest of the items out fitted with Rare and maybe a godly magic item that happened to drop. And its possible without needlessly complex mechanics to force usability.

1. Slow down the leveling progression.

That is one of the biggest detriments to D3. Players are able to hit endgame way too quickly which wipes out the item progression. One way this could be accomplished is by removing shared XP from groups and making so you only get XP from the enemies that an individual player has killed. That alone would greatly reduce power leveling.

Want it to take it a step further? Make it so that the player receives less or no XP if they are taking on content that is higher than ‘x’ levels of their current level. This will keep players from leaching by getting the final hit on enemies that another player has weakened (a good idea from D2).

1. Stop raining items

There is no reason a shower of items has to rain down no matter the difficulty. I understand the reason why its that way in D3 (excluding Paragon, almost all of your power is through items and without the right items it is impossible to progress past a certain point). In D4, character power is being planned to be driven by multiple sources so items are important but not as central to character development as D3.

Dungeon bosses don’t have to rain items but should be guaranteed to drop 2-3 items that are appropriate for the difficulty and the player’s level. The higher the difficulty the greater the chances that the items will be better quality along the item progression. At end game, maybe one of the drops could be guaranteed to be Legendary since legendary powers will play a role in character customization.

I could come up with more, but it’s late, I’m medicated, and I have to work tomorrow. But to sum up, you can introduce a higher tier of items while keep a balanced item progression without resorting to mechanics that undercut the item progression.

2 Likes

well, did you watch mr. llamas videos about this topic
the great thing about D2 is, ofc, uniques are rare and stronger than white or magic items, most of the time and good runewords are hard to craft but will most of the time be BiS
but you can potentially use magic items in your end game build and you will not just insta trash everything, not being orange and green aka D3, which is super boring
D2 makes u look at all kinds of items until the endgame and thats a good thing
it makes the drop pool much more interesting
so…no thats actually enough of explanation