Major props to Barb devs with WW Rend - Ignore the haters

As a Barbarian main I would like to give big props to the designers on this one, because their Ambo’s design for Rend fixes several issues at once;

1. One second rend resolves quickly and less stress on the server
  2. Rend damage is less fishy than WW since it’s not reliant on density, # of targets, and Pain enchancer / Echoing Fury fodder
  3. It fixes the WW Barb’s problem of single target since it provides a flat base damage rate against lone elites and RG
  4. It opens up gearing options

They did a good job with Ambo’s.

However, I’m seeing people bothered by this who wish that more of the “damage” gets shifted to Dust Devils. Why? It’s the same build. Does it matter if the actual numbers are from Rend or DD’s? Nope. What matters is the result. You’re still spinning to deal damage either way.

You will regret asking to shift damage back to Dust Devils. Why? Because:

1. Dust Devils rely on Pain Enchancer / Echoing Fury and great density, which is the fishing aspect people hate
  2. Pain Enchancer / EF with Dust Devils locks up game instances which affects your damage and rift
  3. Dust Devils are garbage against lone elites and bosses

Think about it. And careful what you ask for in PTR.

If they kill Ambo’s / Rend, you’ll be back to fishing 100’s of keys for insane maps just to do what other classes can do on any map whatsoever, and you’ll be doing it slower.

35 Likes

More should read this.
I understand how good this buff is. And that an excellent start to fix barb

The only problem w. this is I want a little bit of change in playstyle but it stay the same, I don’t feel rend has any “engaging” aspect of this build as it just applied rend instantly.

2 Likes

One paragraph you demonstrate how dealing rend damage is better and then next you say it doesn’t matter if damage comes from WW or Rend …
Make up your mind !

Dealing damage through Rend is more reliable and consistent than Dust Devils because Dust Devils need attack speed mechanics and Area Damage to deal damage.

When I say it doesn’t matter where the damage comes from it’s to say that concerns that Rend is dealing most of the damage now aren’t relevant.

So complaints about “Whirlwind doing none of the damage” don’t really affect how the build is played, because the end result with most of the damage being on Rend is an even stronger build.

7 Likes

Yeah ty devs for listening to my suggestion, although you didn’t add the applied rend to the 2-pieces of wastes set, but you did it with a legendary support weapon.

I think the Rend interactions are poor. Lower the Rend buffs, and buff SS and HotA more. Those 2 playstyles should be closer.

I suspect the build will get the nerf hammer. A barb has already soloed 140. The top era wizard in the America region currently is 141 (and they’re nerfing that build). There also nerfing the necromancer build that cleared 138.

2 Likes

Yeah but eras are low in US because there’s less players and people are generally not as good at the game.

Plenty of 142+ Solo Wizard clears on other servers. Bunch of 141-145s.

That said I agree with you, the morons pushing with the build right now will get it nerfed.’

2 Likes

I know I checked out diablo3ladder to see worldwide wizard rankings. The top seems to be 144. There are only 5 people who are above 141.

Also, chantodo is being nerfed.-

P Reg Tier Battletag
1 144 darkpatator <Tkk>
2 143 Schm0n <Era>
3 142 법순잉 <Katya>
4 142 Crucifix <IDeaL>
5 142 Lenio
1 Like

Your post excludes seasonal clears.

For a guy all about data, your data seems really inconsistent a lot of the time and/or you’re unaware of what global rankings have been historically.

Anyway, we’ll see what Blizz does.

3 Likes

If you look, I tend to show both seasonal and era numbers for most things.

I have been criticized when I used seasonal numbers to compare classes because some people had a valid complaint about differential benefits that seasonal buffs cause that depend on class. There are always issues with data relating to sampling bias and inherent limitations in the dataset. An especially noteworthy caveat is how many people are pushing competitively each class. If only 10 people are pushing monk, but 1000 for wizards, I suspect that the true power of monk would be underrepresented.

I suspect that wizards may be one of the more popular classes and barbs less so. I think that is relevant to the discussion.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I had missed the change to Ambo. That is very significant and yes, I am one of those who likes using Rend & WW. I don’t use DD, so this is perfect for me. I hope it stays, even if the bonuses are reduced somewhat.

This actually makes me want to play the next season, unlike the other changes.

1 Like

I slapped together some stuff on PTR and test it out. It’s pretty fun. I has surprised at how squishy I was the first few run, but I realized that I had some weird gear/cube/passive combos. Reset and was able to pretty much coast through T13 and GR 60.

That’s nothing, but for me, it’s quite a jump. I’m very casual, and barbarian is probably my second least-played class. I think I hit GR 50 with my trashy-build before. Depending on final tweaks, I might come back for the next season, just to try for this build.

Looking at the info on the PTR, it looks like the Waste set will free, which is perfect. And oh that pet is adorable. I’ll come back for Season 19 for sure.

Top wiz in China server is 145.

If wiz and barb were in the same level. Barb is much more popular than wiz. At least in China server. DH > Barb > wiz

How do you know the player statistics in China or is more a feeling? Is there a counter or something like that on their website? I would be interested in knowing. That number at least on the American Server is elusive.

1 Like

Let us recall the history.

They introduce d3 to China in 2014. At that time dh and barb are the strongest. Leap quake then followed by charge and zodiac WWs. Then barb is weak for years…then wd dominate for a short period, then wiz in the meta as dps for years. This didn’t change.

In around 2015, I remember I checked the views/topics of the (barb, dh, wiz) subforum of cain’s corner 凯恩之角. dh is like 1m topics, barb 0.8m wiz 0.6m.

Whatever, you can definitely trust me on this. When they heard barb get a buff, a lot of them ask for ptr account. We barb are weak for years, quite a long time. People really don’t want a mortick story again.

1 Like