[Lounge Thread] Slaughtered Calf Inn

Thx. I was probably in Nova Scotia when I tried it.

Speaking of New Scotland, I’ve had hagis in old Scotland. Didn’t get a chance to try blood pudding.

But, i did love this one raw ground beef African delicacy. And, of course, sushi.

So, what “weird” food have y’all had? (Squirrel doesn’t count)

My wife is from Nova Scotia (I’m from Montreal) and she eats something called Rappie Pie. I’ve tried it but don’t like it. It’s basically potatoes without the starch, baked for hours with a mixture of chicken broth and either chicken pieces or lobster. They eat it with molasses.

I DO NOT drink warm wine!

Perhaps “chilled” was the wrong word to use. I take it out of the refrigerator while I’m preparing the ingredients for the sauce. By the time I add it to the spaghetti it’s room temperature. While I finish cooking, I put the wine back in the refrigerator, which isn’t for long. (Between 30 minutes to an hour). When I serve it, the wine is cold, but not “refrigerator cold” and certainly not room temperature.

What everybody else prefers is their business. And, I’m not everybody else.  

The most common misconception with red wine is that it is ideal to serve it at room temperature, when in fact serving it cool is the best way to enjoy it. To cool red down to its proper temperature, we like to place it in the fridge an hour before serving it. For quicker results, you can put it in the freezer for just 15 minutes.

Source: The Right Temperature to Serve Every Type of Wine

But don’t serve it too warm! Why not? Because, at around 22°C red wine starts to fall apart and will taste “soupy”.

Source: Good Wine Tours

I was not aware of those guidelines. I tend to prefer my red at kitchen temp…which is around 60F because my house was build in 1947 and only has a few heating vents. White wine I keep in the fridges.

2 Likes

You should be good with that. Just don’t let it get 71.6° F (22° C) or higher.

I also commit the horrible sin of putting ice in my white wine when sitting on the deck in hot weather. Deck sitting with a book is an every evening thing for me weather permitting.

Sadly, I had to take the plants in today because we are going to have a freeze. I MIGHT get a deck day or two before winter really sets in.

1 Like

You are not alone, I drink it the way I want, not the way others think I should. :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Oh, ouch!

Don’t mind me. I haven’t put ice in anything I drink since I was 14 years old. (Which was several lifetimes ago).

Ice melts, especially during hot seasons. And that waters down the drink. If I’m eating out, the (cold) drinks I order stay cold enough (for me) to last the meal. If not, the refill is fresh and cold.

At home, if I want my drinks ice cold, I put them in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what the drink is. (Some liquids freeze quicker than others). I freeze them until there’s ice crystals forming on the outside of the drink. In the center, it’s frozen solid, but the rest is still liquid. It’s like having ice in it, but the “ice” is made of the drink. So, as it melts, it doesn’t water it down.

I’ve even done this with soda. But, you have to be careful. If you leave it in the freezer too long, it can explode and make a mess. (Ice expanding + the carbonation). Not to mention the waste of soda. You also have to be careful and open it slowly (I freeze soda in the original bottle before breaking the cap seal).

Addendum: Alcohol doesn’t freeze, so it doesn’t hurt if you leave them in the freezer too long. (Although, I’m not sure about beer. I’ve frozen them before, but never longer than an hour. I have left wine and hard liquor in too long though, with no issues).

In a home freezer beer and wine will, 40% proof might, 60% / 80% wont…
https://www.thespruceeats.com/will-liquor-freeze-760302

I may be remembering wrong about the wine then. Perhaps I was just lucky to have pulled it out within the hour.

1 Like

I HATE being drunk so am perfectly happy to have cold white wine diluted with a bit of water. My goal is to enjoy the deck in summer and read while sipping a beverage I like. Relax, read, watch the sunset.

All good :slight_smile:

So TEA. It came up in another thread so do we want to address that too?

Earl Grey w/ a dash of milk for me but also Lady Grey. Herbal I love the Zinger types that are high in acidity. Or heck, I love tea. So many teas. Not sweet flavored ones though.

Yep. Home freezers will make lower proof stuff like wine or beer freeze and there goes the container. If you live north though you can make an outside snow storage unit on the deck that keeps things at freezing all winter…esp college kid beer. Heh. Higher temp than commercial freezers in homes. No, I did not do it, but I had friends that did.

I do use the outside a LOT in winter to chill large pots of things. It is a perfect time to cook because you don’t need multiple sink ice baths to cool stuff off. Just put it out and forget it (screen porch with no animals helps). Anything between 35F and 25F works.

2 Likes

Milk? Oh, my!
Black, sugar, slice of lemon please.

Sugar in beverages!? Blasphemy! heh. I really don’t do sugar. Milk in the US tends to have a fair amount of sweetness and the Lactose free I have to drink is even sweeter. That might factor into it.

Lemon though - is love in most teas. I find in Earl Grey it can fuss with the bergamot.

Oh…I can think of when I sweeten tea. When sick. I use honey in tea.

Oh, on the point of milk. For some reason tannins upset my stomach a LOT. I get really sick from black coffee or even black tea. I have to use a bit of something in them. I can only have one cup of coffee a day, even with cream or milk in it. Otherwise I get in super bad shape.

1 Like

If I have tea hot: Milk here too. When it’s cold: It’s a dash of lemon.

When I lived in Boulder, Colorado, also many years ago, Celestial Seasonings was based there and still relatively new. I used to collect their teas, especially since they were easy to get locally. Some I liked, others… not so much. I’m much older now and I’m content with the standard black tea.

Florida here. No outside cold storage here. (hehe) I do have some friends that brew tea on the back porch in the sun though. It takes all day, but it’s good… really good. (Not sure if they use a special tea or if there’s a trick to it. Never asked them and never tried it myself).

1 Like

No trick. Just take a bunch of standard black tea bags (google how many based on size or you can over caffinate yourself) and put them in the large glass container of water. Jug sized. Leave in direct sun all day.

I grew up on it.

You will want to let it cool down to room temp before putting in the fridge. Add lemon and sugar as needed when serving.

Sun tea is really quite nice.

2 Likes

For coffee, I like a really strong espresso, usually with a hint of muscovado in it, but it’s usually tea for me.

I like my coffee black and potent. Takes a bit getting used to. I used to put the creamer and sugar in it, bleh. The coffee maker at work has a ‘bold’ setting, it takes about 15 minutes to brew 12 cups, but it comes out good and potent. Worth it.

1 Like

Yep. That’s the way they do it. (I mean I’ve seen the jug on their back porch when I visit them. I just never knew the specifics).

1 Like

I respect those that like black coffee. I just can’t have it without getting really sick. (stomach and headache).

I used to be able to at least drink black tea …but now I can’t do that either.

Not sure why I react the way I do to the compounds in them. Dad does too though so maybe it is genetic.

1 Like

Doh. I gotta have my coffee. :stuck_out_tongue: