Looking for tips on dealing with upper torment levels

I only started playing D3 a few months ago, I am currently at Paragon 590. I have only played Solo and not any of the “seasonal” stuff. I only got my 1st full armor set a couple weeks ago, now I have 4+. My strongest by far is the Justice set, next is my LoD build, then Inna’s. With my LoD build I can handle up to T12/13, with Justice, I can handle 14 pretty well, 15, not so much. Offensively, Tempest Rush just obliterates everything, except T15 champions. It is pretty much kills everything before they get a chance to hit me. But at T15 some kill me with 1 hit, which doesn’t allow my “stone gauntlets” effect to help. I have pretty good stuff, not sure where to go. I can get a few more levels out of my legendary gems, but that is about it. And of course keep building my Dexterity with level ups.

I use the enchantress as a follower.

Thanks

Follow the build guides on maxroll.gg or icyveins.

3 Likes

Seconded. Some of the best builds need to be fairly closely tuned, and you’re unlikely to stumble on the correct combos without some help. Look up a build guide to see what equipment you need to make it work.

1 Like

There are lots of multiplies and passives that totally change the effectiveness of various builds. Inna’s in particular has lots of fiddling with those to make the Allies work effectively. The guides on maxtroll, for example, have “base builds” then tell you about modifiers for farming, pushing, etc. and specifics on what skill rotations you should use to best take advantage of the set.

1 Like

A few things off the bat. You should be wearing a squirts amulet with CoE and Stone of Jordan rings. Use RoRG in cube and wear the Capt Crimson Belt with either Pants or Boots. Also use Balance and Mantle of Channeling in cube for more damage and defense. Those changes would let you do T16 easily.

To get the Ring of Royal Grandeur you need to do Act 1 bounties. Captain Crimson set can be crafted at the blacksmith.

Also, you should have all diamonds in your helmet, chest and pants. Both weapons should have emeralds.

4 Likes

Thanks, I tried to build up Dex and Vit as much as I could, but I see how common all diamonds is (looking at others builds). I will try that. I do us Squirts amulet as a cube power, and CoE. Stone of Jordan didn’t seem too useful to me, I do have that as a Cube power. I see how useful RoRG is.
I will really miss Vengeful wind and Kyoshiro’s soul combo though…

“Balance and Mantle of Channeling” what do you mean by Balance. MoC is only a 25% boost, is that really that useful?

You know way more than me, I am just curious about “why” on some of those.

Thanks again

EDIT: Looking at the Monk build in this maxroll.gg/d3/resources/rainbow-goblin-farming-guide
I see “Balance”

1 Like

Stone of Jordan makes your CoE bonus apply all the time, not just when the element you use in in cycle. It’s also way more useful than the puzzle ring you were wearing.

You want to wear the Squirts for the other bonus stats it gives, RoRG in cube to make wearing the crimson set with PoJ possible. Balance (Legendary Diabo) gives up to 600% bonus damage and 100% crit chance if you hit 3 or fewer targets (thus huge bonus to bosses and elites).

MoC boosts both damage and defense. Diamonds in helm boost cooldown speed (more damage with Crimson set) and all resistance in chest and pants.

1 Like

Yeah, the puzzle ring is only because I hadn’t found anything better. I hadn’t thought about SoJ’s help to CoE.

EDIT: Once I find a RoRG, is there any reason I couldn’t use Capt Crimson Pants and Boots together? That would allow me to still use Kyoshiro’s belt (along with Vengeful wind).

1 Like

You would lose the 6 part bonus doing that, so nope, not possible.

If yer dead set on the belt you can cube it instead of MoC tho.

3 Likes

Also missing a tonne of crit damage and crit chance. This is the backbone for increasing damage in this game.

1 Like

You don’t need a generator with Justice. You can replace Way of 100 Fists with Blinding Flash to activate your bracers. You also don’t need Fleet Footed Passive. It can be replaced by Beacon of Ytar.
A word of caution while playing Rifts or Bounties: You lose a lot of defense when you stop channeling to pick things up, so make sure the area is clear first.
There are other things you can do, but these and what was said above will help for now.
Also Diablo 3 Season 30 PoJ Tempest Rush Monk Guide - Maxroll.gg
Click on Non Season option.
You will have to get used to manually activating Sweeping Wind if you want to use Captain Crimson.
The damage and defense boost of Mantle outweighs the inconvenience of manual SW.

3 Likes

I just got a RoRG and realized my mistake.

EDIT: (it is annoying how I can’t post more than once if no body else posts…)

How do I bind Blinding Flash to the left mouse button? I only have it available under “1”. I do already make sure everything is cleared.

1 Like

Shift things around using Elective Mode. Maxroll shows TR on LMB with Serenity on RMB. Experiment.
They also show using Flurry rune on TR. That can be tricky to play. Electric field may be better to start.
BTW, the SW rune is only visual because the set gives all runes.
The speed boost of Vengeful Wind can be useful, but if you have to give up Kyoshiro belt, 3 stacks may be simpler and you can use a more powerful 2nd weapon , like Pig Sticker or Echoing Fury.

1 Like

Ahh… that is cool. I tried Flurry, but never noticed any “icy blast”. I like EF, but I usually used Northern Breeze, because my Spirit would always stay at 100% which helped Aquila Cuirass work.

Vengeful wind also increases SW damage 732%, which is very nice.

That increase is per stack. Nice if you can maintain full stacks. That may be hard without Kyoshiro belt. There is a reason that Vengeful wind is rarely used except for Sunwuko.
I have used Vengeful for speed runs. Other weapons can actually be more effective.
Look at the set bonuses. You don’t need Aquila or large stacks of SW. You just have to hit with TR and SW active at the same time.
You also want Taeguk and Powerful gems along with your Trapped. Stricken replaces Powerful when it takes too long to kill the RG.

I am using Kyoshiros belt as my Cube power until I find a MoC.

I have a Taeguk, I’ll use it.

You should also have a Bane of the Powerful. Raise all 3 gems.
If you follow all the Tips you were given, you should be advancing pretty quickly.

Here is the non-Seasonal version of the maxroll guide:
https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/patterns-of-justice-tempest-rush-monk-guide/2
Read this article to save time.

If you get knocked down before Stone Gauntlets can trigger, that means you need a second layer of defensive bonuses that is consistent and don’t lose it because you performed some action in combat. This can be a legendary item or a secondary side Set that boosts both your survival and damage. If we’re talking about PoJ here, that pick is either tossing Mantle of Channeling or Lefebvre’s Soliloquy in the cube.

Start by replacing your Inner Sanctuary with Serenity and replace your Puzzle Ring with an Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac. When you have consistent damage mitigation bonus from MoC or Lefeb, you won’t need Inner Sanctuary. Also, Squirt’s on your non-Season Monk, makes you vulnerable at its peak and when you have issues with survival then consider removing it until you have acquired MoC or Lefebvre’s in the Cube.

You have Aquila Cuirass on a Monk build that is a heavy spender; this could be the inconsistency on your survival if you fail to meet some thresholds for resource replenish. Even casting something so mundane as manually refreshing Sweeping Wind or activating Mantra, which I see you have equipped, can send you below ~90% resource threshold and remove defensive buff of Aquila in an instant.

I say, replace Squirt’s in the Cube with Ring of Royal Grandeur, and replace Aquila in the cube with Lefebvre’s or Mantle of Channeling. You can wear either of those shoulder pieces as well. Additionally if you have it, craft two of Captain Crimson’s level 70 Set pieces from the Blacksmith; a belt and boots. Be sure it is level 70 before crafting it; it supposed to grant you damage and protection per Cooldown and Resource Cost reduction. That side Set is very powerful for starters and grant you a significant boost for survival and damage output.

As for skills, while TR- Northern Breeze is great it is kind of lacking compared to Flurry skillrune. For T16, it can stay but if you need to hit for higher difficulties such that is Greater Rifts 100+ you’ll need Flurry. For dealing higher damage replace Echoing Fury in the cube immediately with Balance, legendary Daibo. The attack speed bonus of Echoing Fury can even be detrimental for your resources at times when casting Tempest Rush.

Lastly, I see you have a primary attack which could be a great choice, but I don’t see you have fitting bracers or jewelry. The moment you spent replenishing your resources could be spend at dealing damage in consistent bursts. Since you lack crowd control to topple aggro, that damage boost you get from WotHF- Assimilation buff will not be very high either. It can be made viable in T15-T16 with Focus and Restraint ring pair and perhaps Mythic Rhythm passive, but it will be somewhat inefficient for farming as it requires greater commit.

You have Cesar’s Memento equipped but I don’t see any source of blind, freeze or stun at your equipment or your skills. Consider replacing your Way of the Hundred Fists with any Blinding Flash skillrune, Faith in the Light preferred, or Cyclone Strike- Wall of Wind so you can apply required crowd control.

1 Like

I just added Brad as a friend and we played a bit. I hope to answer some of the questions outside of Forums.

3 Likes

I look at the whole topic. Nobody has said anything about Crit Hit Chance, Crit Hit Damage or Attack Speed. On the the rings & Amulet you want to try have CHC & CHD if can.Even Attack Sp if possible.

On your weapons if you can Damage or Attack Speed or Both. On your gear Glove CHC & CHD and even Attack Speed. Bracer CHC, Helm CHC if you can.

On set pieces chest, pants, boot, & shoulder. All Resist if you can. Lets look at his CHC and what % level He is it at, It should be at if you can at 50% before it really starts to work right.

How is he setting his Paragon. Is he setting it where he has a little in each one? My rule of thumb is when you 1st start out. #1 Resist, #2 Armor, & than #3 Damage. If you can’t stay alive you can’t kill!!!

On paragon this is what do 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Fill the 1st then the 2nd and then the 3rd. Don’t try to do all 3 do one at a time.
Core #1 Movement Speed #2 Dex.
Offense #1 CHC, #2 CHD, & #3 Attack Speed.
Defense #1 Resist, #2 Armor, & #3 Life Rec.
Utility #1 Area Dam, Life per hit, Res cost Red.

Yes the guide are nice but what I have seen they really don’t give you the whole ball of wax. They give you just the basics