LoD-Lightning Frenzy with Odyn Son. GR107 down easy so far

The title. Odyn Son chain lightning can triple proc on single mobs. Somehow it seems to be working.

3 Likes

Nice, it’s good to see a decent LOD build besides HOTA.
I made a LOD seismic slam build awhile ago and did a 115 without too many issues. Am not a great player so I’m sure a skilled player could get 125 to 130 out of it.

1 Like

Sounds neat… double sounds neat with all that cackling lightning going off.

Nice work fella.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong: IF all ancients are used,

We get 372 x 13 x 2 = 9772% Increased damage and 52% decreased damage (Not sure if this DR has diminishing returns). And Overpower KS with Saffron Wrap is used as well (quite explosive damage at lightning cycles).

I did not follow any of the recent news/updates, so this H90 set only gives 1000% and used with Traveler and Compass Rose, which makes it 2000% when stationary). What other items buff H90 set on top of what I am showing here?

FYI: No augments used (maybe 1 augment of 80 lvl or smt). And only 100 level gems used in the video. IS this OP, I am not a top notch player to test at 140s, but I wonder how it fares against the other frenzy setup.

H90 is 10000%, not 1000%.

Ahhhh I did not check it in game. I checked on Diablo Fandom.

They made a typo then. H90 must be stronger (With Traveler and CS it goes up to 20000%).

Wait it says 1000% stack with 10 stacks 10000%.

Ahh I see. Sorry me guys. So more or less these two approaches could be similar. Except the H90 uses the Traveler Pledge and Compass Rose to double the dmg. + the 2P bonus seems to double the damage for frozen/stunned enemies etc. Pure dmg wise H90 looks better.

On the other hand, LoD approach is buffing all sorts of damage, so I wonder if we can utilize this in a certain way to make this competetive. I will keep on testing.

Haha whoops! Yeah Fandom is not the best… Maxroll (which has incorporated D3planner) generally has very good info. Were they around when you were last among us? I can’t recall.

Anyway, yep, H90 will generally be stronger, though LoD Frenzy is definitely fun too… you could also try building with other proc-based damage sources, like Fulminator, or Rimeheart + Frostburn Gloves, etc.

I think a “standard” LoD Frenzy setup, based purely around Frenzy damage, with as many buffs loaded onto that as possible (Echoing Fury in offhand, wear Witching Hour, extra elemental damage from Frostburn or Magefist, etc) is generally considered 5-7 GRs weaker than an H90 setup. I’ve never run it very hard though, so can’t say for sure. Maybe I’ll run a few tests and give my thoughts.

I tried Fulminator but its proc seems to do not much.
I tried Shard of Hate: its procs are all over the place.
For Rimeheart, a probably a cold based variety could do with Frostborn the gloves. But I am interested in lightning so far (I remember the monks had smt with lightning and stricken: it was sick)

I only dont have the ancient version of Sky Splitter. It was decent in my old tests and want to see its performance with the LoD now.

So far the best results I got are with Odyn Son.

Odyn Son’s proc chain hits like 400% weapon dmg and it can chain among 3 mobs.

The nice thing about it is that if you have 1 mob, it can hit 3 procs on one mob (1200% weapon dmg).

This gets buffed by the elemental bonuses as well as the global damage multis (such as LoD).

Moreover, with stricken stacking, I assume the lightning proc originating from the strickened mob cen get significant. I seem to observe 10B-300B proc values during rifts.

Also for once, Saffron wrap is good for something :slight_smile:

Final note: I also read that frenzy seems to suffer when dealing with large groups and the dmg seems to be splitting until a solo enemy is left. therefore, I have been testing for options that can act like an area damage (Chain lightning effects+Overpower with Saffron Wrap+>100% AD and Stricken combined with Bane of the Trapped instead of the simplicity’s strength)

Happy to see oddball weapons get love

2 Likes

Did a few quick runs of GR 110 with just a few augs, and almost all my paragon pulled out of mainstat (just 10k mainstat total). One with Rimeheart, and the other, shown here, with Echoing Fury. Oh, and it turned out I don’t have a levelled LOD gem! So I just used LoN.

Well, I think something to consider is that Frenzy has considerably more multipliers than other damage sources you might use (on top of the 98.5x LON/LOD, there’s also 5x Undisputed Champion, 3x Oathkeeper, 2x Depth Diggers, 2x Simplicity’s Strength, 11x Bastion’s, or a 660x extra multiplier, that stuff like Odyn Son, Rimeheart, Fulminator, etc, does not get).

And, your Frenzy damage is essentially constant… you get 1x for the “base”, and then an extra 10x from the Bastion’s chain. This 11x then gets split up, depending on how many targets are around you. Yes, that means that Frenzy itself is doing less and less damage to each individual target, the more targets you are facing. But, Bloodshed draws its own damage from this constant damage source, and then hits all enemies within 20 yards. So, in density, the vast majority of your damage is coming from Bloodshed.

Compare Overpower vs Frenzy/Bloodshed:

We’ll throw out the multipliers for LON/LOD, elemental bonuses, mainstat, etc, since both skills will get these. And we’ll also set aside stuff like dibs bonuses, though these also favor Frenzy/Bloodshed.

Overpower is 7.6x base (assuming Revel rune), 11x Saffron (20 enemies * 50% = +1000%).

So that’s 7.6 * 11 = 83.6x total.

Frenzy/Bloodshed is 2.2x base, 660x from all the various crap I mentioned, 0.9x Crit damage proportion (the % of your total damage that comes from crits), 0.75 Frenzy proc coefficient, 0.2 Bloodshed proportion.

So that’s 2.2 * 660 * 0.9 * 0.75 * 0.2 = 196.0x total.

Yes, you can factor in AD for Overpower as well, but note that the damage shown here for Bloodshed is just from an individual hit of Frenzy. Even without optimizing your attack speed very much, you will be hitting at least every 9 frames, or about 7x / second. So the actual “flat” damage, ignoring density, on a per-second basis, will be more like 1372x for Bloodshed. And perhaps 168x for Overpower (2x / second), if you are very lucky.

Much of that went over my head. What difference would Odyn’s chain effect have in the the traditional H90 setup (going Lightening over Cold damage)? Would it be a great loss of damage?

Don’t use Odyn son with H90. It will do no damage. None, zero. H90 doesn’t buff proc effects, only Frenzy.

Did another 110 for kicks, this time with Pain Enhancer.

Also did a 115 using Trapped.

2 Likes

I did not check but LoD and LoN have the same dmg multi?

And you should try odyn instead of echoing fury weapon. And lightning variety. It is worth testing. Trust me dude :wink: Forgot to mention: Use LoD for sure, CoE, trapped-stricken. Dont use simplicity strength when testing LoD.

Yep.

Let me see if I have an ancient odyn son. Not sure if I do.

Like I said, I don’t have a LoD gem. If the LOD → LON swap is CoE → Simplicity, you are better off with Simplicity. Up to 100% extra damage, rather than ~55%.

edit: nope, no odyn son.

But, I’m not sure why that weapon would make much difference. The effect is the same as the Wiz Electrocute skill, meaning 138% weapon damage…

Sounds fun and, if it can get to GR100, that’s much more than good enough for me.

The “strange” builds are much more interesting than the deadpan boring ones.

1 Like

Go thorns frenzy for the throwback lol

1 Like

It was my thornzy char. I wad waiting for a day like this. Frenzy got some multiplier. Now looking forward to finding a way to take advantage of stricken x lightning procs. The lightning is doing more than just numbers game. I think it is spreading the CC effects to a larger distance which is good for trapped

Also as i am just catching up: i set my follower to be a kinda debuffer. Right now it has +30% blind chance. Using that helmet giving blind chance + Cord of sherma. I tried nephalem glory spam but not working in follower (Shermenator, are you there?) Lol

1 Like

I was going to ask: depth digger buff is not shown in character sheet any more. So I think it is a multiplier now right?

If so,is simplicity being added to that or it is another multiplier? If it is added, simplicity dps change would be less that what it says. So i thought I should opt only with either depth digger or simplicity. I am currently trying to get another multiplier as elite dmg. I need a lightning stone of jordan ancient. It will replace unity then.

Could something like wreath of lightning give even more proc and damage action?