LoD Blessed Shield

Bane works on RG’s it’s the reason why my N6M4 cold DH can explode Guardians, if it didn’t It would be a huge hit on dps (since I have 6 turrets that all benefit from the extra dmg).

My take is that running Long Arms of the Law to have 10s on Valor Critical is a better dps gain than bane since with Gogok of Swiftness I will have 23% AS increase and +15% CD reduction AND 50% more crit damage up for the entire fight with the guardian irrelevant if am in fire cycle or not, if I have to move to dodge out stuff or if there are adds or not. Having 100% uptime on Valor Critical - to me - along with 23% AS (8 more from Valor and 15% from gogok) seems like a much better deal than a flat 50-60% dmg increase from Trapped (which may not be up at all time if you need to kite / move away from some difficult RG and not be in 15 yards range and your follower doesn’t proc his slow etc).

Pretty much doing this (I dropped towering shield 20% BS dmg for the valor 10s duration) made it so I can clear GR 105 with 8-7m left after GR death depending on map / mob types instead of 2-3m left after GR death (when was running Towering shield, bane of trapped and bane of stricken or w/e is called that multiplies dmg vs GR / bosses each time you hit them).

I was able to reproduce this several runs in a row (the clear time) on various maps / RG’s so for me it’s better by miles than trapped. Am quite positive once I get some better rolls on my ancients and find an ancient Lantern to get last ancient in slot (and replace my shield) I can probably do 110 with 2-3 minutes left at my 1.2k paragon.

I tested and compared PE and BotT quite a bit when I was pushing GR130 in NS, and I settled on BotT because it’s more consistent.

During rift clearing phase, both gems performed about the same as far as clearing speed is concerned, and I didn’t need the extra healing from higher attack speed with PE so I call it a tie.

The key difference is RG fight. BotT is far stronger than PE even on RG with adds because those adds usually die too fast for PE to provide consistent and significant Akkhan’s Leniency stack advantage over BotT, and on a single target RG PE is basically worthless.

2 Likes

I am thinking to convert my Akkhan Condemn Crusader to LoD Blessed Shield.

Do I need the cooldown reduction as much as I need for Akkhan?

Also, why is LoD Blessed Shield is more favorable to LoD Condemn Build?

You still want 50%~55% CDR, but it will be much easier to get than Condemn because you will be using Fervor instead of Heavenly Strength.

Without Akkhan 2p RCR, LoD Condemn has to use the Fire rune with Cindercoat in order to keep wrath consumption in check so it loses the ability to pull monsters together as well as healing from Holy Cause, making it less ideal for pushing.

Another possible reason is that people become tired of playing Condemn season after season since S12.

1 Like

I would love it if Blizz would simply nerf or alter condemn ----> which can lead to a buff for Akkhan Set to open up more builds, and make other skills be more relevant at end game.

2 Likes

Depends on the build. You can freeze RGs, but their immune to knockbacks and slows including the BoT aura so Strong Arms are useless and I can’t think of anything a BS build has that hard CCs RGs. So why would you run trapped in this build?

Because Trapped’s slow aura does trigger Trapped on RGs. Why do you think it doesn’t? RGs aren’t Juggernauts. Trapped works on them.

So once again, why do you keep saying it doesn’t?

1 Like

Like Jako said, RG can be slowed so BotT works on them.

You also have the common misconception about Strongarm that it can only be triggered by displacing monsters with pull/knockback effects. The truth is Strongarm is triggered by “hitting” monsters with those effects, whether they are actually displaced or not is irrelevant. Strongarm can work on even Juggernauts.

A visual effect will appear on top on monsters’ heads when they are affected by Strongarm debuff. It looks like a small sparkling cloud.

SOLO GR 129 Non season EU:

It was just testing a new flail! ^^

P.S. 15:30 PM EU
And now 130 done!!! :))

3 Likes

Anelyn,
Your gem choice definitely holds water as far as i can tell. Gogak of swiftness and BOtT sim nearly the same for me on d3planner. On rift bosses it’s close to the same, swiftness maybe a touch higher over 4 minutes. On trash with 3 elites and 10 whites it outperforms over 4 minutes for total damage, not sure how to look at it for like 30 seconds. My guess is in burst BOTT outperforms, but maybe not by much. The side effect of dodge would be nice, but running hold your ground probably negates that. I’ll have to play around with it tonight for fun, if you get 15% dodge and could drop hold your ground it might be a good result.

Good job messing around with things and finding what works for you well, and could work well for other people. 15% cool down doesn’t suck either :):grin:

On the RG fight, you should take a step back before casting Condemn so it can actually hit RG with pull effect and proc Strongarm.

In your video at 13:09 you cast Condemn and a small sparkling cloud appeared on Saxtris’ head, that’s the indication of Strongarm debuff. After that you spent about a min fighting him without actually procing Strongarm.

Congrats, now you make me want to push 131. :grin:

1 Like

Does anyone else run holy instead of fire? Curious as to what people are clearing for a holy variant since i enjoy holy over fire. Ive finished a 115 so far.

HunterKiller, thanks for your advices and congrats! I didnt know about strongarms proc on that boss. Irony there is that now again that boss proc me at 130 ^^

GR 130 SOLO LoD BLESSED SHIELD

TL;DR: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/14058406753

Seems broken. Why would an elite (who is immune to knockbacks) be affected by something as minor as a slow? Also, why would you ever run BoP instead if you can just run BoT, there’s literally no trade off. BoT is just a 1000x better BoP. It doesn’t make any sense.

BoP: 35% damage to RG (assuming you have 1 stack) and negligible DR. 20% damage to everything (as long as you have 1 stack).

BoT: at Rank 67 it’s 35% damage to everything, no prereqs. At rank 100, it’s 45% damage.

I was under the impression the RG was not affected by the gem because that’s just broken and like I said, why would you use BoP unless you were running a build where you could use both gems.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/game/guide/gameplay/game-difficulty#monster-resistances

There’s been a common complaint for a while that Trapped is a essentially a mandatory damage gem for most builds. But not every build has a reliable way to trigger Bane of the Trapped. i.e., Demon Hunters need Thrill of the Hunt or something else to apply the slow.

But yes, for the most part, with a few exceptions of course, you will almost always take Trapped.

1 Like

interestingly enough, gogok of swiftness sims to be more damage against a rift guardian than BOtT for me. I haven’t tried it in practice yet, some GR speed rift farming today and it works pretty well. I was actually able to drop Hold your ground skill and come out with about the same toughness with gogok at 15 stacks. I’ll be curious to see if I can push GR 119 or 120 with the change or if i’ll need to use BOtT to push 120. Gotta keep the pressure on the new #1 Thorns build Crusader as of today, Congrats to him, awesome 120 run!

I prefer the holy rune, personally. It’s shinier with all the bouncing shields. Unfortunately, it’s not feasible for pushing because of the lack of Holy damage support gear. And also because of the golden rule: if there’s a fire rune, pick it.

1 Like

Holy is good for lower level speed runs. Shields bounce further and you can clear more trash on the screen thanks to that.

Actually Holy ain’t that bad outside of ease of multipliers for Holy damage vs Fire (you can get holy on amulet and bracers and that’s about it, don’t think you can get holy dmg on rings). The shattered 3 pieces also benefit fully from all your dmg buffs / multipliers and they count as a normal BS thrown, also each bouncing 6 times, so your BS dmg increase counter will go and stay up insanely fast compared to fire with some mob density. It also melts elite packs that stay close (not like the ones who spread in all directions shooting etc), I can pretty much drop elite packs in 105 in like 5-6 seconds if there’s like 5+ mobs nearby. It makes it at times not even worth to move to triune / follower dmg ring because it will be a dps loss.

Also with Gogok and having perma uptime on both Laws of Valor critical and Provoke for extra 50% block (am peaking 79% cooldown reduction with fully stacked gogok) and iron skin, the dps increase and toughness / safety should overpass BotT IMHO (extra attack speed and 50% crit dmg on top of always having 100% block chance for BS dmg multipliers irrelevant of your CoE cycle).

Sure fire can most likely burst harder during CoE cycle, but I feel that Holy has better all time DPS and more flexibility.

PS: stonegauntlets sucks vs slow hitting RG’s like Butcher, you will never get more than 1 stack - which while it’s good, it won’t save you from getting KO outside of your iron skin / Akk Champ. When I did couple 115’s with a pug (was pretty much a Vyr’s 3k paragon wiz doing all the dmg) I swapped my stricken to Esoteric and BS physical for armor stacking, I was peaking 3.6B toughness and facetank in molten / beams / plague etc, also running ESO in cube for the pull so I can stack mobs on top of the archon, it was freaking epic!

You can get holy dmg on SoJ. You can also get it on Andy’s, but Leorics is too good. Hmm. Yea, I can see Shattering Shield not being horrible just not quite as good as Combustion for single target.