Legendary Gem Multiplication

For starters, I saw the large thread here talking about Legendary gems and why some are not used, etc.

I guess I wanted to throw out an alternate idea. Keep in mind, I’m 99% sure something like this would never be implemented into D3, but at the same time, it could breathe some more life and make choosing what legendary gems you run with have impact on game play, even if some of this seems trivial.

Ok, for starters, the base idea:

Equipping all 3 jewelry sockets with legendary gems will also allow you to have a 4th power. That power is determined by the gems you choose.

For example, equipping say Esoteric, Bane of the Trapped, and Gogok of Swiftness might (for example) add some % to cool down reduction as long as you have enemies affected by the BotT, you have stacks of Gogok, and taking damage that is reduced by your Esoteric. (for say a 5 second renewable period or something)

These powers could be related to the 3 legendary gems you use, and swapping some gems out change what the power enhancement is.

Think of it like D2’s Runewords. You mix and match different gems to get a different 4th power that might help your character build go farther.

You could get all kinds of effects, but they would be directly related to the gem’s operation. If the gem isn’t helping you, then it may not activate that 4th power kind of thing.

As I said, right now its just an idea in my head. I need to sit down and think it through, but I also know that sometimes people on here can run with ideas too.

But having the ability to combine different gems to get a 4th effect could be interesting.

Obviously you are still going to see gems that don’t get used as much and gems that are pretty much mandatory for certain builds.

But what if stacking 3 certain gems gave you immunity to poison?

Or stacking 3 other gems gave you the ability to move through enemies unhindered?

Or increase your pickup radius?

Running Boyarsky’s Chip, Gizzard, and Wreath of Lightning together could give you knockback with extra damage.

The idea possibilities are large.

But as I said in the beginning, something like this is highly unlikely. The code work would be probably too much to add something like this to the game at this point.

But who knows.

Game on.

7 Likes

I really dig it. Like a runewird out of legendary gems!

But too many combinations for a skeleton crew to develop.

5 Likes

fun idea i like it but as you already said yourself (and negator) most likely to much work for a small group of ppl
there are 13 gems so 13 times 12 times 11=1716 posibilities (i suck at math ok :smiley: )

Trying to understand your math here.

22 different gems that can be socketed into your rings/amulets. (not counting the one for the helm).

(21x22) = 462. Its not 3 to the power of 22. After all order of insert won’t matter. Just the combination of the gems would. If you let two of them stay the same and only changed one out, that’s 20 variations right there. But I think that would end us up with 20 to the power of 3. Which is 8000 variations.

Hell, I’m probably off with that thinking, I don’t know. I can math, but this isn’t like 3 to the power of whatever, since any 3 gems will work as one and order doesn’t matter. Throws a monkey in my thinking.

But we have more than 13 gems… So… Eh.

Maybe the powers could be relegated as part of two gems, but you need all 3 equipped to activate. That would lower the amount of combinations to 400 or so. Again, if my math thinking is even close. LOL

Though it matters little if:

Game on.

There are 23 legendary gems total of which 21 can be socketed into jewelry which is 3 slots so the number of permutations is:

21!/(21 - 3)! = 21 x 20 x 19 = 7980

Granted you don’t have to have 7980 unique powers but instead map multiple permutations to the same power.

7980/8000

I do a lot of off the top of my head math. lol

Its still probably 7800 more options than we could probably come up with. But I liked the idea.

Cool man. Way to think outside the box.

+1

2 Likes

A simplified version could be to classify the gems into base categories: Power and Defense.

Using three power gems will result in a maximum boost for all three power gems stats. The same goes for using three defense gems.

When mixing power/defense, you’ll get a smaller bonus to the two that fall into the same category.

As far as the boost, each would need it’s own boost percentage, and some may not get a boost at all…

3 Likes

That’s when the order matters. E.g. which gem is socketed in amulet, ring1, ring2.

If order doesn’t matter, you want combination not permutation, (21!)/[(21-3)!(3)!] = 21x20x19/6 = 1330.

I.e. there are 7980 ways to arrange the 21 gems in amulet,ring1, ring2, but for each set of 3 gems there are 3! = 6 non-unique ways to lay them out among the jewelry slots.

5 Likes

You are correct; I messed up the equations.

1 Like

I was gonna say, use a set of 4 categories, like elements. Combos of those lead to different bonuses.

Perhaps… But it would need to be relatively simple to understand. A bunch of gobbledygook permutations can be frustrating for some people. A simple approach would at least minimize the support related questions on why this combo didn’t work. (Because they did it wrong)

True. Though 8 years in, only purists play D3 anyway.

Thanks.

I’ve been looking into different ways to simplify it. I could look at gems from the perspective of their primary power (not the level 25 additional), what type of power, etc and narrow down the features that could be resulted from 3 different gems.

That is what would apply here yes.

Elements could be applied as well depending on the gems yes. Was considering this too.

This is a definite. If it isn’t easy enough to grasp and learn, then it becomes a thing where those that did figure out the best combos would have dummies guide for everyone else. Which may happen anyway.

I will have to sit down and really put together a system. Or not waste my time, but I like the idea.

Edit:

Been actually working on a table of sorts.

Breaking down the gems by what they do and what element they might be associated with. Will have more on this later.

2 Likes

There are 23 legendary gems. The Red Soul Shard and the Gem of Ease are not worn in jewelry. They can always both be worn in addition to any other three leg gems.

Twenty-one choose three (order doesn’t matter) equals 1330 possibilities.
Two gems either worn or not would be 4 possibilities (00, 01, 10, 11).
That would make it 5320 total possible ‘words’.

This would be a very rich set to work with. At first you want to make it somewhat logical, but the real fun would come if you allowed for unexpected combinations.

I would also not make it clear what extra powers were granted. at least for the first few years. Once everyone has crowd sourced enough powers then it is pointless to hid that info.

Also, why defined them all at the beginning. Better to keep adding powers over time so people can’t just map them all at one.

[Edit: …and ‘words’ could include regular gems for elemental powers or something]

Love the ide, but insted of the 4th power beeing just added an affix. I would love the 4th power to be activaded when all gems is at a certen lvl. And that it would be an added affect to your attack. Like “every 3 attack now explodes causing AD to all enemies Within 10 yards” or " when you attack you gain a holy shield that gives you 20% damage reduction.

But again, due to low staff some thing like this is a dream.

(And cap paragon to manage power creep.)

Stop day dreaming. What chances of these gonna happen when bugs on the newly released Typhon set are not even fixed? What hopes for the current team’s ability in playstyle design where to promote new bugged sets, the best way is to nerf its competition?? In the name of…wake up

There’s nothing wrong with thought experiments, lighten up.

Been there, done that, disappointed over last 8 years, moved on. This team is incapable of constructive feedback and lacks imagination in general.

Ok, well if everyone suddenly stopped with suggestions then Blizzard wouldn’t know what we the players want. This not only applies to Diablo 3 but other games as well. Giving up is not an option.

2 Likes