Legacy bindings of the lesser gods

Crossposted to Monk forum …

Just logged into the PTR to see if they affected the legacy seasonal Bindings of the Lesser Gods. Usually a legacy item retains their legacy property since they have a unique item identifier. For new updated item properties, you would normally have to get it in a new release as a drop, rendering the older item legacy.

Not the case here. Seems the removal of the “Split Fire Allies gain 5 times this bonus” is global to the entire game, including the transferred seasonal gear (now legacy). As OP and broken as that bonus was, it would have been nice to retain it as a Seasonal artifact and fun to play (like a bonus for those who played the season). Similar to the days when the legacy Cold dmg Frostburns could still co-exist uniquely after a seasonal upgrade and could be worn at the same time as their newer incarnation (cubed) . As it was mentioned in the PTR release notes, this is Just a heads up on the status of the legacy Bindings for those wondering. Game on.

Is this intended???

Yes.

When an item is buffed… you need to find a new one but the old one can still exist in the game.

When an item is nerfed… the old version of the item is nerfed too.

Best of luck in your games.

3 Likes

Once again I have to explain things.

The legendary items contain a reference to an external function (the legendary power) and its RNG value. In the case of BotLG neither the reference or the RNG value is modified. The 5x modifier for Fire Allies is an additional value tied to to the external function, not the item itself. As such it can be removed without touching a single item.

Whether the item is nerfed or buffed bears absolutely zero meaning. Both can be retroactive changes.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses … I was thinking along the lines of the Wiz Legacy Etched Sigil … where the retro non-Energy Twister legendary power remains intact and unaffected. The legendary power and description was untouched and that change was considered a nerf replacement with a focused skillset. BotLG’s legendary power was affected as if it were a set item done globally rather than as a unique support item.

The difference is that in the case of Etched Sigil the reference was changed. The legacy version reference points to function A and the new version reference points to function B. Because of that the legacy versions stayed untouched.

There’s been several cases where the change has been retroactive since the item itself remained untouched. Ring of Emptiness used to require both Haunt and Locust Swarm to proc, now it requires only one or the other, effectively being a slight buff. Items with added stack caps and similar when previously they were uncapped are done by attaching a script to legendary power limiting the caps, all done without touching the item (Bone Ringer, Shield of Fury).

1 Like

No matter how it’s implemented, the question was if it’s intended. And whether accidental or intentional, I think we can all agree that retroactive nerfing is the best choice here, or we will have the top non-season leaderboard be with legacy bindings for potentially a long time. It might even be a good idea to reset the non-season leaderboard with 2.7.3, or it’ll be very difficult to compete with top monk (and sader?) clears.

2 Likes

Is there any chance of replacing the nerfed value of 5x for fire on BotLG ? I really miss that additional help on my Inna Monk.

I really don’t think taking away that advantage was fair relative to many other buffs that still exist across all char types.

Exactly who was it complaining that the BotLG 5x for fire was an unfair advantage? There are many others, depending on the char type. It’s all extremely subjective!

Doesn’t anyone else fell this way??

Yes, youre right. Innas fire was right in line with lots of builds from other classes. Wasnt overpowered in the slightest. Well, maybe a little bit, but just barely. They should have only nerfed it to 4.8x at the most.

I mean just last season there was at least half a dozen builds that were able to solo in less than 2 minutes.