Just return to 1 week ptr

Recap of this ptr:

• launch, several blue posts on launch day
  • lots of testing and valuable feedback. Broken mechanics of sets demand iteration.
  • silence from Blizz all week
  • hasty patch after 1 week with 1 bug fix, an unjustified nerf for wiz and some mini tunings. And a “we’re done with 2.6.8” statement.
  • silence from Blizz again

The second week is just a waste of time this way. I doubt many people are still testing anything.
And 2 of the 3 sets are useless, and the wd only usable with support group.
GJ. :poop:

13 Likes

There are still things to fix tho. PTR shouldn’t end until all fixes are implemented and tested. Some of the fixes in the last patch still don’t work or broke other things.

6 Likes

The 2 week PTR was a good thing. They could see how the iterative changes that they made to barbs, wizards, and WD did relative to GR clears so that they could balance things further.

Relative to the last PTR, crusader (and for that matter barbs) received changes that were too extreme in patch 2.6.7 that went live (Crusaders overbuffed and barbs too weak).

10 Likes

OP, you’re giving up too easily.

I’m still hopeful that we may get a 3 week ptr eventually. But the Devs need to give us a some meaningful sets. These one offensive skill ones are boring as and for most part aren’t designed to be expanded on with more skills. I mean, can you imagine making a WT/AS barb and having to still use frenzy to keep up DR stacks?

Boring sets = faster drop off of testers

They may fix the broken damage reduction of the wiz set and tweak some numbers but I don’t expect more. The whole broken concept of hydra with channeling that does no damage itself won’t be overhauled unless they extend PTR further. Which is highly unlikely with the season end already announced.

People still post ideas how to change mechanics as if that were still an option.

2 Likes

At this point I’ll just be happy if they fix the broken stuff.

I’m not planning to run any of the new sets so I don’t even care. Sadly.
Edit: forum software is so dumb to auto-remove a “full quote” from a one line post.

1 Like

All because you do not hear from them, it does not mean they are not looking to make changes or documenting things that make sense.

Some things they can push instantly, some things we may not see for a season or two. Remember, this is not a full dev team working on D3 anymore. They need to pick and choose their battles, and quite honestly, I think they are doing a more than admirable job given the state of the game at which they took over from.

3 Likes

If a single person can type 90 words a minute, and works an 8 hour shift, I dont understand why they can’t punch out significant code in a full day.

I think it’s more of a “dont want to” than a “can’t be done” situation.

That, or the bureaucracy is atrocious.

2 Likes

Because coding doesn’t happen at transcribing speed any more than writing happens at reading speed.

12 Likes

When I did software engineering at uni (about the time D1 was out!) I was told I’d write, on average, one line of code a day.

It’s pretty much true once you factor in meetings, code deletion, code refactoring, coffee breaks, more code deletion, meal breaks, gym breaks, coffee breaks, scrum meetings, documentation, personal development, toilet breaks (see personal development), getting a written warning for writing two lines of code, deleting code… etc.

Edit: I spent most of my first job writing LabVIEW at an engineering firm so I wrote zero lines of code then… and after that I wrote APL (A Programming Language) where a line of code does the work of five years of any other language.

1 Like

If you don’t like PTRs nobody is forcing you to participate, actually it is highly appreciated that you don’t.

Balance is a question about going back and forth, but do remember that nothing is set in stone.

I only wish my typing speed = my writing speed :woman_facepalming: cknopp, what’s your secret? Authors everywhere would love to know :joy:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the WD is not useable, more so that DR remains a serious, ongoing concern that has yet to be tackled in a meaningful way. While the change to Mundunugu’s Regalia was immensely appreciated and very much a step in the right direction, it does not address the reliance the WD class as a whole has on just two items for the bulk of their DR. Feel like a broken record here, but I’m very much hoping we’ll see this looked at, if not in the next patch, then in the following one.

2 Likes

What did you expect? Blizzard turning back to their old ways…this all this is a desperate attempt to keep at least a few D3 fans for next 2-3 years while they ‘‘polish’’ D4. This company is more about profits now than EA. Gamers really need to step together, demand mobile gambling be 18+ and demand better product by voting with our wallets. I understand they need to make money but making billions on games they only invested maybe 100 mill in is way beyond greed. Diablo 3 alone made so much money they could have made diablo 4, 5, and 6 and still have 3/4 of a billion left from profit.

Players test the patch in 1-2 days, one week is excesive and a waste of time. But the worst for me is the incapacity to make big changes if required: bad seasonal theme and bad set mechanic will stay the same, just number’s tweaking here and there and bug fixing.

1 Like

You are absolutly right. Fixing the double damage bug would have been enuf. No need to nerf magistrate and serpents both by 150%. It was far away from beeing op. LOD build now is below average and the typhon set lags movebility. Who really likes to play a sorc that can only walk thru the game?

1 Like

Seriously it looks like there are 1-2 maybe not even full time workers taking care of D3…

This is our legendary “Diablo” controlled by multi-billion company. If the business plan for DIV is same like for DIII then I don’t see bright future for it.

Activision could really sell it… Like Star Wars was sold, so why not Diablo as it’s worth much MUCH less.

Actually the two weeks ptr was totaly worth it. With all the bugs found in it’s first and second iteration. If they can squeeze in another PTR installment that would be great. Or even prelong PTR one week. But that’s probably not going to happen. For this patch it’s fine if they add to the H90 Set 2pc. slow for half benifit, increasing 6pc a little bit and increasing the duration of the 2pc from 1.5 sec to 3-6 sec, after hard cc. The Wizard needs a little bump up in Damage to the 6pc and fix the 4pc mitigation bug on shields. And the patch can be deployed.

Man, I wish it worked this way. My average is in the range of 115-125 WPM. I COULD GET SO MUCH DONE.

It’s true I haven’t posted much since the second round of PTR. Honestly, I haven’t had time. My focus is on making sure all your feedback is getting into the right hands to evaluate and risk-assess any additional tuning passes and bug fixes. Time I take posting is time I take away reading/parsing more feedback. Getting any more changes into the game in a timely manner is important so we can hit submission and validation dates - all of that takes time, and the amount of time necessary varies between all the console platforms we support in addition to PC.

There’s a lot more I do behind the scenes, but to be honest, it’s most important that I’m actually doing those things rather than posting about them. :upside_down_face: The two week PTR process has been fantastic for working out some of the larger issues, so it’s likely we’ll continue this process for future PTRs. We’ll have updated patch notes detailing any final changes for the Season in the S20 preview blog, which should be out before the patch launches.

I’ve said this before, but reiterating in case it’s been missed: We’re also planning, long-term, to do additional balance passes after we’ve finished adding all the new class sets to the game. We want to continue to make changes and tweaks for the foreseeable future based on both your feedback as well as on ongoing class performance.

21 Likes

This is really heartening to hear, and - odd as it probably sounds - I’m glad that it’s coming in the patch after the next, as I hope this implies that DHs and Necros will be getting the lion’s share of attention in 2.6.9, which they very much need.

1 Like