Is the freeze/lag problems every player has on PC fixed yet?

The link is this thread.

Any updates to this? Been a long time.

The problem almost certainly lies with the FMOD.DLL file. I’m not sure why the FMOD devs haven’t found a fix for this after nearly a year given how much impact it can have on games. Blizzard likely has to wait for a fix for FMOD so they can make the necessary changes to D3’s audio code to work in concert with the new FMOD version.

We’re just going to have to wait until we hear from Blizzard proper regarding this situation. I wouldn’t hold your breath though. It could be quite a while still.

Absolutely has been a while.

Going to aggregate the responses tonight, actually got 2 more in the past couple days. Which is good.

Thanks for being patient, been a bit hectic in the real world for me lately, been gone most days.

its peachy as long as
A) I’m not playing a wizard
B) I’m not playing with wizards

1 Like

it seems that the workaround doesn’t work anymore: trying to start the game directly, without the battle.net app give an error saying that the account made suspicious operations… insteed of fix the problem blizz preferred to block the fix. CONGRATULATION now i can’t play more then 15 mins without freeze pratically high grift are forbidden.
Excuse for my english

Here’s my post on a separate topic quoted with a fix that doesn’t involve modifying any files and removing the sound. It works for me. Give it a shot if you need:

But what does any of that have to do with the FMOD*.DLL that’s apparently the culprit of the freezing, lag, crashing which deals directly with sound? And no, I’m not insinuating all of the freezing, lag, and crashing has to do with the FMOD file, but most of what I’ve read has, including having experienced this myself and found traces of FMOD errors in the log.

Hell, I can’t even successfully run 5 acts of bounties without the game freezing / crashing. Can’t run anything in Act 2 without the sound being distorted in any way. Including numerous GRift maps (primarily Ancient Waterways), and NRift maps (primarily Ancient Waterways and Weeping Willow). I’m not the only one…

D3 is still a lag/freeze fest regardless of anything a user can do on their system. Blizzard doesn’t spend time fixing it since they’re focused on D2 Rez, D4, and that Immortal crap. :laughing:

I run near perfect multiple systems, different ISPs with clean trace routes, different NVIDIA GPUs, different Intel CPUs, but all Windows 10 Pro, with latest release Windows 10 builds and latest stable 3rd party drivers. I even run my own Powershell script to kill tasks and services that I don’t need prior to gaming, and still D3 has moments of jittering, stuttering, lagging, etc. I’ve even tried no audio, all different video settings, tested with forced NVIDIA settings, and the 32-bit client which is worse than the 64-bit for everything.

Don’t get me wrong, overall D3 is mostly fine, and basic play is smooth with different 60Hz monitors and testing Vsync and Adaptive VSync. But certain D3 maps, skills, and higher mob densities such as higher GRs really stress the client and cause hitching. I’ve even seen it freeze for several hundred ms in higher GRs.

In my experience (yours might be different?)…

Worst map for hitching: Silver Spire and associated tilesets in rifts
Worst skill to cause lag: Energy Twister
Worst mob density lag: over GR110

Either Blizzard needs to fix all of those lag inducing things or they need to give us the ability to lower CPU/GPU demand with additional settings. But I have no expectation of this ever happening so late in a game that’s essential a dead revenue stream for them.

You know, this is going to be a totally off the wall dumb question but:

Have you actually tried setting your game to Windowed Full Screen instead of say Full Screen. Hell even try Windowed, just for giggles. When you do that, set the FPS to match the refresh hz of your monitor (or just set it to 60FPS).

The only reason I ask, I still have not had any issues this entire season with hiccups like these.

But I run full screen Windowed, instead of Exclusive.

Just wondering.

Hey I have not tried this in fact. Haven’t played in windowed Full Screen for quite some time because the performance isn’t quite the same. However, it’s not bad either and you might be right.

To whoever doubts my mention above, don’t knock it till you try it.

I normally run in the fake fullscreen (windowed fullscreen) since I have multiple monitors and sometimes want to access windows on another monitor. But I’ve also tried regular full screen and regular window mode. No difference, even across multiple systems.

Hitching is specific to certain maps, skills, and high density of mobs. Regular gameplay without those factors is nice and smooth. This has been an issue since the beginning, and even worse with GRifts now.

nope another soundless season

I had never played with wizards or any multiplayer at all when I first experienced it. I was playing my leapquake barb.

I’ve not had freeze nor lag. But, I also do not play much. Short bursts of maybe half an hour and then cessation.

So, for me, there is no fix needed. For the other monkeys, maybe. That’d be annoying. Especially in a real game.

It’s happening at totally random occasions for me…

I can at times be playing GR 75 - 110 for hours on end with no problems, next game session I can be playing GR’s for 15(ish) min and in the middle of a trash clear get frozen screen for 20 seconds, followed by hours on end with no problems.

I can’t see it being a problem on my end unless it’s some random internet drop, never had issues outside of GR 75+, never had issues with other games / media etc…, overall for me the problem is not a big deal in it’s current state.

I dont have this problem. W10 21H1 build 19043.1082.

When I play softcore this lag is not a big issue, but on hardcore I just lost my Wizard with level 120 legendary gems (although I had 3 procs) :frowning: I guess I will stop playing hardcore for a while…

Hardcore is unplayable at this point until this is fixed. Shame.

Maybe I don’t play the game right since I haven’t experienced any either.

The problem is with the proprietary game engine and its limitations.
Whether CPU or audio driver, D3 has always had issues on even hi end Pcs.
My heart skipped a beat at blizzcon 2019 when they announced D4 engine as proprietary…