Is it a violation of the CoC

Thanks.

Somewhat related question

Wayback Machine ftw.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210531002847/https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/will-botting-ever-be-enforced-ever-again/33842

The account used to be called “Naysayer”.

Well… [insert clown emoji]

1 Like

Well, that is not actually against the rules that I know of. As long as they are using mechanics in the game that were put in there by Blizz. If they are exploiting that is something else, but PvP in a game with PvP is fine.

Example - in WoW is is permissible to corpse camp someone you killed for as long as you like. Blizzard is hands off. Yes, that makes the game unplayable for a while on that character. Blizz feels that a PvP game has PvP solutions.

I agree it is a jerk move to do, but players have means to protect themselves with passworded games and with the in-game alerts. If they cross over to messaging you put them in Ignore. If they are violating the chat policies (profanity, insults, etc.) you can report that - usually right click report works in Blizz games to capture the chat logs. I don’t know if it will work in D2R, but it should given it is on modern Bnet.

I guess my issue was specifically asking on this forum to have others mass target another specific player for PK. That seems to fall into the mass/targeted harassments category in my mind.

If I said on this forum “hey everyone when D2R launches let’s PK player YYY”. I assume that is a big no-no.

wut?
wut happened?
Pray, tell.

He has several. I see that was the #1104 account.

Bravata-11682 https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Bravata-11682/career

B account Naysayer-1104 Diablo III

C account Naysayer#11908 - Community - Diablo III

D account Naysayer-11651 Naysayer#11651 - Community - Diablo III

B account Naysayer-1104 Changed account – impersonation Diablo III - does not show any career yet because it is not synchronized with the servers.

He posts about all his accounts and brags about them which is why people know them. He does it on the WoW forums too.

Wayback Machine Naysayer#1104 vs a post by “new” Meteorblade#11171

4 Likes

I am honestly not sure. People coordinate raids and PvP all sorts of ways and it is technically a part of the game. I would report it but I don’t know how the mods would rule on it.

He’s still at it…

1 Like

Are you saying that the new Meteorblade is just our forum troll who used his alt account to steal your identity?

Meteorblade#11171 is a renamed Naysayer#1104.
https://i.imgur.com/iuzrRxm.jpeg

2 Likes

So he is that crazy guy on the forum? I will not use his name we all know who he is.

4 Likes

Since he’s purposely trying to impersonate you, the last entry in the report list is the appropriate one. Report him for having an inappropriate username. They can pull his IP and verify against the other smurf accounts and act accordingly if warranted.

Edit: While usernames have unique BattleTag suffix numbers, using a name in order to smear a seemingly identical name of the original holder is something that is most definitely a targeted form of harassment.

4 Likes

Dangit, I saw this when it was first posted and was going to use one of my name changes to Avalon and make a snarky reply, but then I had to go drink with a friend. Now the time is gone and I missed my chance. If it wasn’t for beer, I could’ve been a hero.

That would have been kind of funny, but you only get one free Battletag change so a joke might not have been worth it. It costs $15 if you want to do it again.

1 Like

That doesn’t appear to be the case, not anymore:

Still waiting for any clarification though.

It also sttates that the name must follow the code of conduct at this site:

Blizzard’s In-Game Code of Conduct - Blizzard Support (battle.net)

This is a quote from that site:

Behavior

Behavior that intentionally detracts from others’ enjoyment (such as griefing, throwing, feeding, etc.) is unacceptable. We expect our players to treat each other with respect and promote an enjoyable environment. Acceptable behavior is determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and violating these guidelines will result in account and gameplay restrictions.

While we encourage you to report players that are behaving in a disrespectful manner, falsely reporting another player with the sole intent of restricting their gameplay is also unacceptable and will result in penalties to your account.

If you’re unsure if your actions violate this code of conduct, reconsider them. We reserve the right to restrict offending accounts as much as necessary to keep Blizzard games a fun experience for all players.

Yeah, but that covers in-game behaviour, not the forums, which is why the forums have their own code of conduct. As I don’t play on the US or Asia regions, I’m unaware of whether any of this nonsense has been going on in the in-game chat.

Ok, this is one of the most interesting posts I have seen in a LONG time. I know our accounts are at core, a base number that we never see. So the Btag change does not change the base.

If the base number changes that…that would be illogical.

The Btag part should be reusable, but the core account ID should be persistent.

As for the Btag part. There can be as may "Bob"s as people want.

Bob#1234
Bob#2345
Bob#3456

So while the text shows “Bob” the number differentiates them. You are right though, those “should” not be re-useable or it screws up leaderboards, armories, etc.

The starting number also tends to indicate Region, but is not always accurate.

Again, the number in the Btag is NOT the core account number that Blizz uses.

Oh yes, I know that. There are currently 129 active accounts named “Shadow” (with various character casing) on US seasonal leaderboards alone.

That’s exactly the problem. Internal accountId values (invisible in game client but provided by API) probably do not change, as there is literally no need to change a surrogate key - any database architect worth their salt will tell you that. But when the entire BattleTag gets duplicated… I of course fixed it on my side, and thankfully this is the only example I ran into. Still, it’s a dangerous precedent, esp. with no info from Blizz on how to interpret such a scenario.

I suspect the original account was probably banned at some point, and the code that generates these uniquifiers doesn’t check for collisions with inactive accounts. That’s the only sensible explanation I can think of.