Is Blizzard Shutting down in 2022 (Rumor)

What do you make of this, legit or totally bogus?

“The forums here are specifically to discuss the game and related topics. Any topics not related to Diablo III, Battle. net, or Blizzard Entertainment :point_left: are subject to deletion.”

2 Likes

While terrible things have happened and it seems like some boycuts them, I don’t see this happening. I like Blizzard, well most of it. Their games as well. And I can’t wait to sit down and play Diablo 4.

6 Likes

I think you are late to the party and should have joined the other thread on it. Go read the MMO Champ post it is based on - by a new account with 1 post. It reads like April Fools patch notes or a bad vague horoscope.

So no, I don’t give a video based on a unsourced and strange forum post, much weight.

EDIT for source
Here is the post he is basing it on. Blizzard Entertainment will become Insight in 2022 (Leak/Spoilers)

Blizzard Entertainment will become Insight in 2022 (Leak/Spoilers)

Blizzard Entertainment is being dissolved early 2022. It is going to be replaced by a new team called Insight that will be a more direct part of the renamed Activision Insight. Much of Blizzard, though not all, will be sacked and replaced with new employees for Insight.

Diablo is considered by far the most promising franchise at the present. Diablo IV has 3 planned expansions. A remake of the original Diablo is in the works. Diablo Immortal will receive a PC and console release a year after its mobile release. An untitled Diablo PvP game will begin development under Insight. The Diablo team, like the Hearthstone team, will be mostly unaffected by the company shifts.

World of Warcraft is entering official maintenance mode. The little work that was already put into the expansion after Shadowlands will be released 9.3 sometime in 2023. 9.3, despite the name, has nothing to do with Shadowlands and is just made up of salvaged stuff from 10.0.

Classic servers will be merged into one or two with the launch of WotLK Classic in 2023. This will be the last Classic expansion planned.

A new untitled World of Warcraft successor MMORPG is in the works, looking to take a lot from FFXIV. This is going to be developed by a majority new team than those who made and worked on WoW. It is not a sequel but a total reboot with new lore. Currently only in the planning stage. The base game will focus on Valansess (the Eastern Kingdoms) and Outland, with playable races from both worlds. It is currently believed to not have factions. It will not borrow from Hearthstone, which will remain separate and continually updated with new expansions.

A Warcraft mobile MMORPG project has been in the works since 2019 and will continue under Insight, focusing on drawing in an audience in China. It is separate from the new PC MMORPG. The last report said it was canon to WoW, though it is unknown whether this will change with WoW entering maintenance mode.

A Hearthstone spin-off game is coming out. It is going to build off of the autobattler modes added.

Overwatch is believed to be unsalvageable, failing to capture any modern interest. Overwatch 2 has been cancelled, as have multiple smaller mobile projects set in the same universe. Overwatch in late 2022 will receive the maps and heroes planned for Overwatch 2, but not the PvE modes. A Netflix original series is in the works and seems unaffected by these cancellations.

StarCraft is completely abandoned in any way shape or form. There are no plans for new RTS or MOBA of any kind.

Because their franchises and lead characters (like Sylvanas, Tracer, and Kerrigan) no longer ‘capture people’s imaginations like they used to’, there has been a lot of work done on developing a new IP. After 3 cancelled projects, they have one they’ve been working on since early 2020 set in a unique fantasy universe. It will debut with a gacha-style RPG and will be announced at either Gamescom or E3 next year.

Blizzconline 2022 has been cancelled, but I’m certain you’ve all guessed that.

Tell me if you believe that to be real. I find it funny that the person says Diablo is important, but does not even mention D2R.

10 Likes

Which one I missed it.

D2R - I realize you posted on D3. I have it all in one list as latest. Blurs the lines between sub forums.

If the parent owner decides it is better for PR to close a section that generates heat, then they will. It does not mean it goes away - only the name. And that is often ‘good enough.’

In the end, does it mean much? Not really. Diablo 4 gets released by the “new Blizzard” and so do other games - the rights just bounce to some other internal agency and life continues.

Even if it does stop, oh well. Entropy is the natural course. Things are supposed to die.

Eh, I’ll take this rumor with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it isn’t that easy since all three companies have rights withing the holding company ABK. Kotic can’t just shut a company down.

I’m sure it is even easier than that.

Buyout is a key word.

1, you didn’t use that term in your post I quoted.
2, if ABK bought out Blizzard, Blizzard would be independent and still around.

Eh, this isn’t even a rumor. It’s someone just stirring the pot for kicks and giggles.

5 Likes

They should just put more than FoH in D4 then you have pvp modes and no need for another Diablo game?

I wouldn’t be surprised. I mean it.

4 Likes

But then, one less product to sell… Things like that makes me think it could be true, but I really don’t think so, even when a diablo remake is one of my wet dreams.
I’ve been thinking about, why they did a diablo event in D3?, why later they let GOG adapt it for today’s PC and 4k? Did they wanted to know how many people could buy it? Since D2R reveal, many people got interested in Diablo history, many streamers played D1 and even D1 got to be the 6th in GOG bestseller ranking…
Now it’s the age of remaster/remake games…so, why not?

But after all, I think this rumor is just what many people want to listen, let’s wait and see what happen in the next months.

Given the greedy nature of Acti/Blizzard and all that’s transpired, I’m inclined to believe that at least some of that video is probably not far from the truth.

2 Likes

this a troll or April fools? We already know Diablo 4 is coming out in 2023 so how can blizzard not even be there for their own game…

LOL I actually like just about everything he was going on about, but then he lost me with gacha-like RPG. /SMH

No, we just know it is not coming out in 2021. Unless you are trying to say Skelos is not the only time traveler on this forum.

3 Likes

Building a Brand is hard, you don’t just burn it down. That said, they did drop the Battle.net name for a week because they thought it would be good to consolidate the Brand-names under one banner, so…

That doesnt make any sense, didnt they hire new CEO, or two from my understanding. One girl and one guy. The girl looked like Ubisoft. One could imagine Blizz has better taste.