Improving Vyr Archon

Now I have no expectations on any adjustments being made to Vyr Chantodo for patch 2.6.10. I just wanted to provide my thoughts on what I think can be done to improve Vyr Archon.

As it currently stands the Archon skills themselves deal little to no damage when compared to Chantodo, in fact they’re only used to gather Archon stacks in order to further support Chantodo. With the amount of damage Chantodo offers, there’s little ways that I can think of to have the Archon skills buffed without also nerfing Chantodo.

Truthfully speaking, I don’t want to destroy or nerf Chantodo any further than it’s been, but I also want the Archon skills to deal damage. For that to happen, I have an idea that may achieve that goal on both fronts; and that idea is to have the chantodo set lower the wizard’s damage, except for the waves of destructions, when they’re in the Archon form.

Vyr’s Amazing Arcana:

Note: A Cooldown Reduction effect could be added to the set, if added it could free up some cdr affixes off our gear, in favor of other stats such as area damage. Implement an additional damage multiplier that’ll only affect the Archon skills.

• 2 piece bonus:
    • For every 10 archon stacks gained, reduce the remaining cooldown of Archon by 5 seconds. Archon gains effects of all Runes.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Archon kill stacks also increase Attack Speed, Armor and Resistances by 1% per stack.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • Gain one Archon stack per hit or per tick of damage of any Archon ability. Archon stacks also reduce damage taken by 0.15% each and their damage bonus increases to 100% per stack. Increase the damage of all Archon abilities by 25% per Archon Stack.

Chantodo’s Resolve :

Note: Firstly, the nerf should be reverted. Secondly the amount of stacks needed should be reduced from 20 to 10, and followed by upping the chantodo damage from 4000% to 8000%.

• 2 piece bonus:
    • Every second while in Archon form you expel a Wave of Destruction, dealing 8000% weapon damage to enemies within 30 yards. This damage scales with attack speed.
    • Every time you hit with an attack while not in Archon form, 8000% weapon damage is added to the Wave of Destruction, stacking up to 10 times. For each stack, reduce the damage of your attacks (except for the Wave of Destruction) by 8.9% while in Archon form.

Doing so can not only allow us to have the archon skills deal damage again as they used to, but also give us at least two distinctive vyr archon playstyles.

• Vyr Chantodo Archon variant: A playstyle where you would use the Chantodo set’s Waves of Destruction to deal damage (The playstyle that’s used today), and utilize the archon skills mostly to gain archon stacks.

Upon Archon’s expiration, you’ll want to spend a few seconds attacking enemies in order to build up Chantodo stacks even if your Archon is off cooldown (which is why I recommend lowering the number of stacks needed and rescaling them, in order to lessen the amount of time you stay out of Archon). Pretty much, there’d be little difference from how it’s used now.

• Pure Vyr Archon variant: The second playstyle would be where we don’t use the Chantodo set at all, and instead our damage comes from the Archon skills themselves. What would make this playstyle different from the Chantodo variant would the fact that You’ll want to transform into Archon as soon as Archon is off it’s cooldown in order to maximize the Swami effect. Doing so would allow you to benefit from the double archon stacks longer than that of the Chantodo variant.

Another thing that could be done is to add some additional functionality to the Archon form and the skills themselves. For example, have the Disintegration Wave cost arcane power and have it benefit from our channeling items, such as Mantle of Channeling, Deathwish, Taeguk, etc.

Also have Arcane Blast cost arcane power as well, so that it could be procced by the etched sigil (that is if etched sigil gets reverted back) when channeling Disintegration Wave.

Lastly have Arcane Strike treated as a Signature Spell and have it generate arcane power in order to gain the benefits of Fragment of Destiny, Depth Diggers (for LoD builds or if kanai cube 4th slot is perm), the Simplicity’s Strength gem, etc.

In short:

• Have Archon’s Disintegration Wave cost ap and treated as channeling arcane spender
    • Specifically, Have Disintegration Wave treated as Disintegrate and let it benefit from items that buff Disintegrate (just as Archon Teleport and Slow Time benefits from items that buff their non-archon versions). However any item that buffs Explosive Blast’s damage via multiplier should only buff Arcane Blast by 50% of the amount. For example, while Deathwish grants a 325% damage boost for channeling Disintegrate, Wave of Disintegration would only gain a 162% damage boost.
  • Have Arcane Blast cost ap and treated as an arcane spender
    • Specifically, have Arcane Blast treated as Explosive Blast and let it benefit from items that buff Explosive Blast (just as Archon Teleport and Slow Time benefits from items that buff their non-archon versions). However any item that buffs Explosive Blast’s damage via multiplier should only buff Arcane Blast by 50% of the amount. For example, while Wand of Woh grants a 400% damage boost to Explosive Blast, Arcane Blast would only gain a 200% damage boost along with the 3 additonal explosions.
  • Have Arcane Strike treated as a signature spell and have it generate arcane power
  • Have the Archon form double wizard’s arcane power regeneration

(That said, I wouldn’t consider the few suggestions above as necessary improvements to Archon and as such, they can ignored.)

That’s about it, any feedback would be appreciated.

3 Likes