Wizard is beyond pointless Blizzard

So last patch I gave the new hydra set a chance. Also got over paragon 1000, yay go me, but I quickly noticed that we we’re not even welcome in my scrub non-season paragon bot infested public groups. So we sucked so bad - With demon hunter being so clearly better than us, its annoying.

Now I see Rhykker new tier list and look into the hydra changes, hoping they buffed Wizard properly now. And still I see we aint anywhere top, or even good enough. The new hydra changes even makes for an extremely clunky rotation with using blizzard and spectral blades - Like I get the old hydra was a little bored to play, but at least it gave you time to dodge stuff and free your hands.

Honestly im lost for words. Why cant Blizzard see how bad Wizard is in this game? I only wanna play my Wizard, Im not gonna play anything else, so this game is now truely pointless - Not that it was fun playing last patch, but now its even more stupid. Maybe I need to hope DMO frozen orb changes are good, at least I found that build to be fun… Cya in Demon hunter is the only class that should be played =/

Firebird set has been crap since season 7, mage mobility has sucked since initial release. Diablo is being maintained by people who don’t play the game, and being reviewed by those who want an arcade game. As long as some class with some build has GR120+, they can exercise their mouse skills.

Rest in piece Tal’Rasha set you finally hitted rock botton this season in tier list.
Going from a mid tier build to basement build. The set need it last nerf reverted.

1 Like

The issue is they know and most likely want it that way.

It’s obvious. I mean, only a moron would think the sets are fine. Even an idiot can see how bad wizard sets are from their fundamentals (Vyr and even the latest one, TV, are so-so at best). Now here’s the thing, they can’t/won’t change four of the sets thanks to the set dungeons. Too much work. Well, I’d say scrap that crap if you must, but won’t happen anyways so we are stuck with this sh!t for eternity.

As such the only hope for wizards had been their new set (without a set dungeon) but haha, they made that one a single skill straitjacket that now even has two contradictive skilljugglers as sidekicks (FoD + WF) which are so f*cking annoying to use that I rather play 20 GR below everyone else than ever touch this crap.

Vyr is kinda working so far, alas, god help us if they ever start working on its issue, one being that the brunt of Vyr’s damage will come from Chantodo rather than Archon itself, but yeah. Not to mention Reverse Archon, which is cancerous.

The other sets… well, I honestly believe that only a die hard masochist plays Firbird, Tal Rasha or DMO today and thinks it’s fun. Those three are pointless if you think about it: literally NOTHING these sets offer is remotely better than using Legacy of Dreams, with is a bit behind in terms of damage when it comes to DMO, but it still has way more room for freedom.

Argh… man, they just seem to make everything worse each time they touch the wizard class nowadays. And yet there is so much crap that could be fixed with tiny bits of work - provided the one doing it would actually use their brain before introducing weird mechanics.

1 Like

You have no idea how much I would like for Blizzard to actually buff the Archon skills so that Archon can deal damage without reverse archon or Chantodo. At the same time however, I’m worried that Blizzard focusing on Vyr may end up with Blizzard breaking the set and/or Archon itself…

Agreed.

Be careful what you wish for and choose your wording wisely… they will misinterpret that and change Chantodo so that enemies inside your Blizzard take more damage from Archon skills :smiley:

1 Like

My god, that would be horrible haha.

Jokes aside, I have no issues with Chantodo dealing a lot of damage. But it shouldn’t be the only damage source. Thing is, Archon has the same damn issue than the wizard in general. THe problem with skill interactions.

Let’s look at Archon skills first, we literally have Explosive Blast and Disintegrate inside Archon. These skills are not viable. Why would they become viable inside Archon? Why use ANYTHING else other than Chantodo? Now, how about this:

Arcane Blast
A middle ground between melee and ranged. Change it so that this is actually Explosive Blast, but stronger. It should also mirror applicable rune effects from your Explosive Blast! This would also mean legendaries like Wand of Woh or Orb of Infinite Depth (needs a buff anyways) would now work inside Archon.

Disintegration Wave
this thing is basically Disintegrate - meaning its a skill that makes you stationary thus slowing you down. As such it has NO merit besides the fact that ir costs no AP and pierces. Essentially the skill is pretty much USELESS by design. Now make it so that Disintegration Wave marks your targets (either for a duration or while you are in Archon form) and then have Arcane Blast detonate on marked targets as well. Bam, huge difference.

Arcane Strike
Melee attack - as such an issue in itself. Make it so that Arcane Strike has a chance to pull in mobs like Cyclone Strike and that you can use it to port to an enemy like Dashing Strike (with some charges)- Also have Arcane Strike affect every target inside Slow Time and make it so that Arcane Strike can hit marked targets multiple times.

Whatever, make those Archon abilities really powerful. Not inferior compared to the regular attacks that have legendaries to boost them. Make these skills meaningful.

I’d be satisfied if Vyr also buffed the Archon skills directly such as:

Vyr’s Amazing Arcana:

• 2 piece bonus:
    • For every 10 archon stacks gained, reduce the remaining cooldown of Archon by 5 seconds. Archon gains effects of all Runes.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Archon kill stacks also increase Attack Speed, Armor and Resistances by 1% per stack.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • Gain one Archon stack per hit or per tick of damage of any Archon ability. Archon stacks also reduce damage taken by 0.15% each and their damage bonus increases to 100% per stack. Increase the damage of all Archon abilities by 15-25% per Archon Stack.

Followed by changing Chantodo to:

Chantodo’s Resolve :

Note: Firstly, the nerf should be reverted. Secondly the amount of stacks needed should be reduced from 20 to 10, and followed by upping the chantodo damage from 4000% to 8000%.

• 2 piece bonus:
    • Every second while in Archon form you expel a Wave of Destruction, dealing 8000% weapon damage to enemies within 30 yards. This damage scales with attack speed.
    • Every time you hit with an attack while not in Archon form, 8000% weapon damage is added to the Wave of Destruction, stacking up to 10 times. For each stack, reduce the damage of your attacks (except for the Wave of Destruction) by 8.9% while in Archon form.

If just the above is done, then anything further would be gravy. That said, I certainly liked your idea of having Arcane Blast and Wave of Disintegration benefit from Explosive Blast and Disintegrate legendary items. I already made a suggestion in my thread where the Archon skills should be changed a bit so that they’re either treated as a Signature Skill, Arcane Spender, or Channeling Arcane Spender, but I’ll definitely add a bit of your idea to the thread.

Yeah, I know your Archon ideas. Should happen, no questions asked. Still leaves the lame Archon skills, though… ah, one thing:

That’s only true for Explosive Blast / Arcane Blast though. I have a slightly different opinion for Archon DisWave. Okay, it could very well benefit from a reworked Deathwish but hell no, not wrEtched Sigil. That’s trading plague for ebola. Whether it should work with a yet to come dedicated Disintegrate item depends on what mechanic that thing has to offer. Hergbrash and Mantle make no sense, resource and such… neither does Taeguk.
So I really prefer a different approach here since wizard channeling, no matter the skill, is a slow poking stay-in-place-to-deal-damage heap of boredom that contradicts speed builds like Archon quite a bit. I think my idea with marking is way better because Arcane Blast does not interrupt channeling. You can actually use both skills at the same time. Still not ideal, standing still and such… but that’s wizards for you.

Tbh, I liked Wizard the most back pre-ROS, thats also when I found Diablo 3 the most fun. We had trading, perm PROPER archon Wizard, that was good and strong and CM Wizard or however it was called…I actually dont like any of the wizard builds but DMO frozen orb and hydra…not even find tal rasha/channeling much fun :s

What I actually want is that in-geom flashfire wizard build that you use as a meme-spec to level gems to 70 quickly, but make that build work on greater rift 150, and be proper good end-game.

Have you tried a twister build? Seems pretty good so far. Full disclosure: I am still building mine, but its doing some pretty good damage so far even without the cubed staff.

Well maybe its better than the silly spectral blades and blizzard rotation. DH doesn’t haft to do crap, while Wizard now has a rotation thats worse than most specs in WoW…

Wizard is much improved. More active play style and doing well.

Great job Blizz. I’m loving the options.

Apologies if I over-repeat it. I’d even go crazy and say that Vyr should unlock an additional skill that works in tangents with the Archon skills (something I had indeed suggested in the older forums); however I doubt the developers will even do anything remotely close to that.

Sadly we can’t even consider Etched Sigil (I like wrEtched Sigil Haha!) a channeling item anymore…

In my thread regarding thread improvements, I mentioned:

More could be done, but I believe it could be an interesting start.

Yes, the weight we have to bear as Wizards is great…