Impressions from Q4 D4 blog

So… I didn’t see a proper thread and I wanted to share my opinion. For me, it was a make or break thing because that stat system revealed earlier was so lazily made and itemization repelled me simply.

Feel free to write down your opinion if you have any questions or something to say about for feedback. Please don’t derail this thread to something else as we have 5-6 “very popular” threads at the top of the thread list where everyone can see them already.

as your character grows, the effort and cost required to respec will grow too

I’m not sure if I get this part, so with every 5-10 or so level my character gains the process of respec and re-allocation grows more time wasting? So if I need to clear a quest for a respec a lvl10 character, I’d have to clear 2-5 different quests for a lvl40?
I don’t know how that gonna work but I believe you can lessen the impact of player made mistakes if you allow players to substitute their desired targeted skill with item bonuses such as skill increasing ones.

So we went back to our roots and looked at the classic RPG elements of early Diablo games.

This quarterly update was a make or break for me about that linear stat system and I’m pleasantly surprised. So I guess I wasn’t the only one to complain about linear progress with 4% attack, 3% defense approach that shown us.

As I see you removed the biggest pitfall in the D2 stat system (vitality dump) and chose to continue. I say, good choice.
Not every class have to have equal benefits scattered at different stats but that’s a start. One class may have faster block rate, suffers reduced control impairment duration, other may have crit ratings or dodge through their stat benefits. No need for playing a puzzle game with stats. If you keep offer a solid base at the start to the characters with, I guess this idea can solidify better.

D3 classic managed to make stat growth somewhat non-linear thanks to rarity of desired combination possibilities and scarce regulation (what else do you remember besides single and all rezt not rolling together?) of random affixes. There wasn’t any guaranteed vitality or main stat, nor smart loot in D3 classic, so player had to compensate with wide variety of other stats such as recovery, specific mitigation or crowd control when they lack in survival, effective hitpoints or dps output.
Still due lowest minimum thresholds non-existent, vitality was the highly soared stat alongside of main defensive ones of resistances and armor. That was the biggest mistake of D3 in my opinion; availability of an item over the market was elusive and that made the players fixated at direct benefits.

Looking at further evaluation of D3 RoS, I believe you should be able to figure ways of giving player some sort of safety net without being dependent on the market or higher stats.

Many of the nodes in each class skill tree have additional effects if you meet specific primary stat thresholds

Can also work by comparing two stats to each other, such as; willpower to intelligence for a Barbarian or strengh to dexterity of a Sorceress. You don’t have to get swirled into an evergrowing main stat trigger to add new ones just because it’s the “class’ characteristic”. Stats don’t have to go over 255, but if they ever do, the requirements must not be linear like this.
There can be an incentive for Sorceress to invest points into strength more than required, or Druid/Barbarian to put into intelligence besides minuscule benefits but triggers such as these.

To see what that feels like in action, we’ve added weapon speeds and inherent characteristics to all weapons in our latest internal test environment.

That’s a conundrum but nothing you can’t get over with when you emphasize some animation cancel and .
You can get the fast weapon types have longer point up animation than backswing, and for mid-slow weapons the ratio would be reversed with attack point being shorter than backswing animation allowing them to benefit from animation cancel further but not being any faster than a fast weapon. And for very slow and heavy weapons, ratio can differ from type to type.

Characteristic of a weapon can be animation frames as much as their benefits to the certain skills be it applying crowd control for a follow up hit or sustaining resources.

We’re increasing the maximum number of affixes on Rare and better items in the endgame.

What about keeping it only for rare items?

You can think of Legendary items as Rare items with one affix replaced with a legendary effect.

I’m not sure if that’s the right approach. I don’t wanna see “6-7 random affixes” plastered on everything when I look at the item database just like in D3. Some of these legendary items better offer some solid stats.

And Unique items will replace Mythics.

Good call. At least we’ll have some control with this.

To note; you didn’t cover details about crafted items and if it’s possible to target these legendary or unique items at the loothunt via level restricted areas-monsters without relying on RNG.
If possible I wanna hear more about this new itemization impact other parts of the game and how well the end game progress gonna shape.

I think that’s for Blizzconline’21 at February.

2 Likes

I’m thinking in terms of increased coin expense. Exponentially increasing. In WoW @ BfA for azerite gear there was a reset on it every week and the cost decreased by half.

I agree that this is a good choice. It helps them keep a strict adherence to the combat balance. If there is a maximum amount of potential health to work with, you’re essentially not able to take typically fragile classes into the tank-sponge range.

I’m thrilled at the embrace of these breakpoints. I do ponder how significant stat boosting alternatives (to character level) will be. A little supplementation here and there still won’t allow ‘have it all’ builds which is fantastic.

It is interesting to note that from the gist I’ve gathered they’re basically saying that these physical characteristics of item types in terms of weapon speed, etc, are set in stone and won’t be capable of being altered. This really gives them control over certain dynamics of balancing.

I may be interpreting things incorrectly, but it is my understanding that the legendary affix itself is what is randomized?

Thrilled about this myself.

Dead give away on class reveal at the next update @ blizzconline.

I’m happy with this finale quarterly update. I’ll be signing up for blizzconline next year.

What this points to, for me, is that as your character becomes more ‘entrenched’ (higher level) the cost to change the character increases. We don’t know what that cost will entail right now but this is a decently common mechanic. I’d also guess the more you respec the higher the cost will go as well.

Agree, I would like to see this system modified to have some unique modifiers for each class. That would be the ‘final step’ of the system shown imho is to have those stat allocations feel more in line with the thematic style of each class. The Dex + Sorc example obviously feels VERY misplaced (to me) and should do something more thematically unique.

Obviously, it was a small reveal but those breakpoints need to also not be tied to crit which both were. The less ‘desired’ a skill tends to be for a class there should be some LARGE payoffs on a boost for certain skills that could actually benefit in my opinion. If we’re tied to Main + Crit stat then this system, while okay, isn’t great.

2 Likes

With low enough health point pools, reflect damage can actually become one of those LARGE payoffs, in my opinion.

Where crit doesn’t reign above all because you can quite simply crit yourself to death.

shrug

All that matters to me is that they’re opening up the avenues.

My beef with the system is that stats offering critical hit chance and right away. While incentive is nice, this stat can be the new “dump it stat” if not balanced by those stat thresholds.

It can be nice and fun to dump stats to feel powerful, but there should be a tiny balance between dumping it into damage stat and dividing this to the utility regarding the purpose of build.
For PvE, I can see that model working but in PvP the variables from skills will inevitably restrict some classes and underdog builds should be able to compensate by stats or passives.

If there must be a balance, then shift the offered benefits between characteristic main stats and class restricted items. Underlying motive is splitting the close combat and spell damage here and not giving them the same incentives and standards. While it won’t divide the system too much away from D3, I think that’s the right approach for every class to feel unique on its own.

Regular Items
Magic Items
Rare Items
Legendary Items
Unique Items

I guess set items will fall under the Legendary category, I’m good with that, same as D3.
Unique items making a comeback, woot D2. No Mythic items. Um… isn’t a Unique item Mythic?

Adding actual attributes like in the olden days, cool.
I like to see my Barbarian with STRENGTH not attack.

POTIONS!!! Yes, another look back to the good old days of D2.
Um… Blizzard… will you being back the throwing potions that do damage?

I think in general, the affix pool still feels a bit wonky. I agree with LLama’s recent video about this December blog update at the end of his video when he’s talking about what he feels is still wrong with the affix pool. There are just too many of these specific affixes that do specific things instead of contributing to the characters overall power in a general sense. Its like ok cool I could make a stun build or make a build focused on elites but why have those take up affix slots instead of just delegating them to legendary powers since they’re more build specific. I think he sums it up well in the last 20 minutes of his hour+ video on the December update so I’d rather not type several paragraphs about it.

Don’t know about anyone else, but I would rather spend a few minutes reading a few paragraphs vs. watching a video, especially if it’s between 5 and 60 min.

Um… I know how to read. What was the point of learning how to read, when just about everything is in video form? People don’t know how to write on a 6th grade level or higher?

However, when I do feel the need to devote more than a few minutes, I shall give the video a shot. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

You can always watch it on 1.5-2.0 times speed.

I also agree that affixes still need some work.

The itemization direction is going fine, they just need some tweaks and balancing through the different item categories.
Hopefully there are some disctinctions between physical and spellcaster characters.

They should have mentioned a little about crafting though, since its an essential part of itemization.

3 Likes

Assuming the cost is in some currency, maybe at lvl 10 it will cost 1 token, and at lvl 40 it might cost 100 tokens, then each time you respec the price goes up by 10 tokens, or whatever.
Not that I really believe Blizzard on this one. Too little real information. Feels like PR speak.

Both are random.

Hah, yeah, this is exactly how I feel about youtube, and increasingly, the internet overall.

A guaranteed critical strike indeed was more of a random and even class specific occurrence, given that the amount of preparation to surprise attack a vulnerability in a formidable opponents defenses shouldn’t happen every so often.

I’m not quite sure I follow that part. The D4 classes are already beginning to feel unique in their respectful ways. Druid as metamorphosis & / or shapeshifting summoner of bestiary aid via pets, the identity of the class archetype has been brought to life more in this method.

Slot machines ring ring ring ring ring

no really that’s diablo…

It’s okay. There is so much that itemization can adjust.

Potions with cooldowns. More than just running them out of health and then sending them back to town…

I mostly disagree with LLama about the attribute.

I rather interesting stats than the boring stat sticks found in most dull looter gamea.
+strength, + damage, + resist, + Hp . yawn.

The problem with these “traditional” attributes, other than being dull, is people will end up all having gears with the same stats, just different values.

We seen this in D3 already. Glove, crit chance, crit hit, main stats, attack speed…

The attribute like movement speed on elite kill is cool, this allows you to tailor contents that focus on hunting elite by target attributes.

If you are not specifically target elitem you can op for another attribute, creating diversity between people, instead of looking at the same few stats for every gear. This is true to D3, PoE & other loot game. So boring.

2 Likes

The stat progress shouldn’t be all about dmg then crit, that makes it linear. Even though stats or classes are distinctly different, goals look the same to me.
System could be elevated by embed crit rating to certain spells when you hit stat thresholds or acquire some passive abilities to empower them.

I think this would work better instead of giving a goal post to the all characters while ignoring their effective distance and capabilities of them. Currently, stat system doesn’t talk of a limiting hardcap or diminishing returns softcap so far, that means it would be a dump stat if no restriction taken.

Some classes may benefit from crit rating from stat growth if that’s what they’re into. Sure this gives them an edge and characteristic, but it’s also good to have some diversity with utility stats such as movement speed, maximum resource or even faster block rate or hit recovery.

I ain’t gonna lie, this could be fun for the sake of power fantasy, yet again like in Diablo 3; but one build aiming for the same generic piece at the market with other builds don’t sound good to me. Itemization must push the player towards the class specific items more if class based fantasy hooks are the baseline here.

That’s actually my point. Thank you. Different specs and different builds must target different items but it’s impossible to do so if legendary itemization turn out to be a mishmash slot machine system with “5 random affix +1 random legendary affix”. There must be constants so we can have some control and target items.
I shouldn’t be forced to play the game for 5 hours straight wandering to find the item I want and when I find it, it should better worth it somewhat.

Regarding the new stat system, I’m concerned they’re making the same mistake they made in D3 vanilla with the DEX classes having their innate defense stat being Dodge, which resulted in huge damage spikes when Dodge failed. This was universally viewed as bad for the DEX classes because having your main stat mitigate some damage 100% of the time is much better than the all or nothing granted by Dodge.

I understand that stat requirement for can help force players into the correct stat point allocation, but then it just seems like illusion of choice.

I will say that I do like the throwback to STR, DEX, INT, and WIL. They’re familiar and should be in Diablo.

2 Likes

That’s right. They have to come up with something good so dexterity builds won’t feel like gambling in a fight.

If healing received related main stat feeds passive life regeneration affixes, this combination might become an important part of the dexterity/dodge builds to mitigate this denting impact without forcing the character to a shield before difficulty scale goes high.
I think dexterity builds have to come up with some absolute damage reduction such as absorb, block rate or damage reflect at their class skills instead of direct mitigation to not fall into the same pitfall this time.

Right, because the top sticky is so hard to spot…

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Loved what I read. Really shocked to be honest that they seem to be listening. Still a ton of work to do but looks like a good direction. Also just a thank you for keeping the community informed.

2 Likes

Yeah. Dodge should not be part of attributes tbh. Not sure dodge should really be part of the game at all, but at least don’t make it something we have to depend on.
Nor should there be such a thing as a Dex or Str class. There should be Dex or Str builds. Among all classes.

I completely disagree with that. Mr LLama just want a D2 or PoE clone, and affixes on these games are boring. He even showcases affixes on that video of D2 and PoE trying to show how they are better, and god they are absurdly boring.

Mr LLama is also so absurdly anal with crit hit chance on gear, but his beloved PoE (which, again, he used as example of good item affixes) also has it all over it’s gear and it doesn’t break the game like it does in D3. He also makes some stupid remarks on how you could get 100% of something and they it would be broken, as if we actually knew if it’s even possible to get 100% increase on that stat.

1 Like