Ideas to ways we can continue D2R development after launch

There has always been push to continue development of Diablo 2 Resurrected after the game has gone live as many of us believe that the Remaster doesn’t have to necessarily mean that the game is at end of development. To assume that D2R is the end of development for the game would be the same to say that the most recent patches to the game were the “end” of the game at some point in time.

The game can and should be uplifted to continue to breathe new life into the game so that it remains fresh. Doesn’t necessarily mean balance changes or what have you but could be as simple as adding new items or new non-lore related content (seeing as D2 is as fleshed out as it can be in regards to story and cannot infringe on the story development for DI and D3.)

I encourage people to discuss new ways to bring more life to the game… I advise against asking for balance changes, to avoid the same warfare we see on a daily basis… but in the end, whatever you feel is needed, by all means please do discuss. Heck, we might even find a way to come to an agreement on something or find a part of the topic that hasn’t been fully fleshed out and find a reasonable argument for the need to rebalance or fix classes/items.

I’ll start with a couple items I’ve been creating in my spare time for my solo Diablo 2 Single Player experience (as well as building a repository for my future endeavors in D2 modding.)

Just a few examples of items I created that could potentially breathe life into the game in later content patches…

Also take new items with a grain of salt because my line of thinking is items don’t need to be balanced against or towards other existing items. We simply need more items added to the game to increase build possibilities and have stopgaps that fill equipment slots until you find the item you want your build to use. Also the items I’m listing here aren’t suggestions for D2R, they’re items I’m using in my own endeavors.

Angelic Vengeance
Champion Sword

One-Handed Damage: 150 - 363
Two-Handed Damage: 332 - 467
Level Required: 87
Very Fast Attack Speed

Level 15-18 Fire Aura When Equipped
2-4 To All Skills
10-18% Increased Attack Speed
275% - 340% Enhanced Damage
95 - 110 to Maximum Damage
10-15% Mana Stolen Per Hit
10 -17% Life Stolen Per Hit
150-300 to Life
9-15 To All Resistances
25-50% Magic Find
1-3 Sockets

Chronostasis
Unique Grand Charm

Level Required: 73

10% Chance to cast Level 12Decrepify when Struck
10% Chance to Cast Level 12 Weaken when Struck
Level 12 Holy Freeze Aura when Equiped
Slows Target by 10-15%
12% to Maximum Lightning Resist

Ragnarok’s End
Bone Visage
Defense: 450-683
Level Required: 72

3 to Sorceress Skills
17-25% Faster Cast Rate
22-25% to Fire Skill Damage
280%-360% Enhanced Defense
25-30 to Vitality
25-30 to Energy
6-13% to Maximum Life
5-12% to Maximum Mana
1-2 Sockets

The Titan’s Heel
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 254-421
Required Level: 75

1 To Barbarian Skills
25-30% Faster Run/Walk
50% Chance to Crushing Blow
Knockback
290-385% Enhanced Defense
200-240 to Life
6-10% Magic Resist
20-40% Fire Resist
35-75% To Magic Find

4 Likes

LOL give it up buddy

5 Likes

Most of the items I’ve created are in the 60-90 range purely because I feel like there isn’t enough itemization in the later game, but I am also on track to creating items for the entire range of levels, such as…

Cap of the Fearless
War Hat
Defense: 140-205
Level Required: 35

1 to Sorceress Skills
120-235% Enhanced Defense
Drain Life 4-9
-9% All Resistances
135-250 to Mana
35% to Faster Cast Rate
20% to Faster Hit Recovery

The Eldritch’s Whim
Leather Armor
Defense: 14-17
Level Required: 7

Level 1 Holy Fire When Equipped
1 to All Skills
2-5% All Resistances
50 to Life
35 Defense vs Missiles

The items you suggest are close to game breaking, they are so over powered that everyone will be using them.

4 Likes

Close to?!? :woozy_face:

1 Like

Oh, no these aren’t suggestions, they’re just an iteration I am working on for my own modding development. I’m just trying to pitch ideas for others to kind of latch onto.

2 Likes

Oh, well that’s cool, I have alot of respect for people who mod, as I have a metric ton of Skyrim mods. Those items then would make excellent super rares/uniques.

1 Like

Indeed. I am currently still in the process of developing an item base before I move on to modifying the current list of items the game ships with so that there’s a less of a power void between them.

1 Like

new items, new acts, new bosses, new secret portals, new recipes, new quests, new crafts.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes

You typed all that. Lmao :rofl:
It’s not happening. This isn’t 3

2 Likes

It’s not gonna happen. Go play diablo 2 median xl for that.

2 Likes

I kinda like the idea of adding a similar rift system that’s in Diablo 3 where groups of monsters just keep getting gradually stronger the higher the rift you can clear. Not sure how you could balance the exp/rewards but I even just like the idea of no rewards at all just bragging rights I can clear a lvl100 rift

Unfortunately, balancing loot/exp from that wouldn’t work. Rifts are a very bland and mindless end-game content to which extent is why Diablo 3 end game is entirely boring, in my humble opinion.

Being able to do these without loot, however, I wouldn’t mind.

This isn’t diablo 3…

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I would have never guessed that Diablo 2 Resurrected isn’t Diablo 3

2 Likes

Why would u make a charm have 2 curses when struck? You can only have 1 curse at a time. And no one wants power creep. I still rather they buff Melee skill dmg and nerf Grief, so more weapons are viable, and melee don’t feel so bad at start.

Each “Cast When” property is independent. You’re not guaranteed to have both go off at once. So you get one or the other. Worst case, every once in a while, you get both. Also power creep isn’t defined the way you think it is.

Power creep is defined as increasing something without leveraging something else’s worthiness, making that something else useless.

With my implementation, I’d be making the drop rates similar to that of the ilvl loot frequencies so that they’d simply be either stopgaps or BiS for that gear type.

There’d be so many items in my mod that everything is basically an upgrade and you’d rarely find the BiS anyway.

Lets please keep any additional content or gameplay changes to mods.

Also I´m looking forward to D4 aswell and want any available resources spent on that game - and keep D2R the way we love it for 20 years.

3 Likes

I love D2 the way it is just as much as any purist veteran player but I also would have loved for them to keep adding more content after 1.14D why stunt the growth of the game just because that’s the way it was left and its what we are used to?

Changes or no changes I will always love D2 for what it is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some buffs for melee, a few nerfs maybe, some new ubers, maybe an act 6. Really I would just be happy of they made the features of the honorary single player community patch (Plugy) part of the base game.