I think im gonna do it

I’M PLAYING CLASSIC D2 WHEN D2:R COMES OUT!

I came into the game in LoD as a starcraft player after I kept seeing all my friends playing it on BNET. This was probably around 1.08 and most of my memories of the game are during 1.09. As a kid, this was my life… lol

I’ve gone back to the game here and there and have dabbled in 1.10+ (actually more than dabbled)

Maybe its just because my main memories are from 1.09 but something to me just doesnt feel all that great about the 1.10+ content, Enigma most of all.

Now I never played classic D2 but from hearing about it I think its right up my alley for a number of reasons over playing the 1.10 LoD content

1.) Class identity: 1.09 had better class identity in my opinion over 1.10 so if this is something I can experience more of in classic then im in

2.) Chaos Runs: Lets be honest… Baal runs are lame. Im looking forward to working together with a bunch of defined classes to defeat tough enemies, which sounds like a necessity in classic

Really what I want is a 1.09 LoD option but I think ill find what im looking for with Classic D2 if all we get is the current version of LoD remastered.

I like working together with team mates to defeat the enemies of hell… not AFK Baal leech runs with enigma bots

IM READY!

8 Likes

Good choice, Classic has been thousands of hours of awesome for me.

There are some guides out there, but even the ones on dii and jsp are incomplete and some info is lacking as Classic is far less popular.

Any questions on strategy/builds/ladder, etc, feel free to ask, I love me some Classic. Still haven’t 100 percent made up my mind on Classic/Xpac, but leaning towards Xpac now as I have just learned family members preordered and they only play Xpac. Good luck!

4 Likes

Blood golem MF necro + cows = winning

2 Likes

Cows got nerfed in Classic when 1.10 hit, they’re terrible now, unfortunately.

3 Likes

great choice my man! Those are all greats points and super valid reasons to play classic > LOD. Hope to see you on the HCCL :wink:

1 Like

I am confused and i kind of fail to understand your points because:

Classic is not running on 1.09 you still have higher version of game. Also enigma is ladder only runewords and nobody is forcing you to make it. You most likely wont make it anyway as it will be expensive.

You never played classic but you want to play it. If less content is your goal, gen yeah classic is way to go.

But classic is not being played at 1.09. It is played on last version of game. It has hase class identity as lod.

I dont get it, someone is forcing you to run baalruns? You can level up in area 85 locations for xp, Baalruns are only needed for like lvl 97+. Arent you by any chance to just run chaosruns in classic? So actualy having less options what to run?

Then dont join baal bot leech runs? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While it’s true Classic is running off 1.14 as well, the itemization is quite intact from 1.09, so it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

The main changes from 1.10 are

Iron maiden gone
Experience gain nerfed

That’s about it. Class identity as you mentioned is no more like LoD than it ever was.

(Oh and PvP differences but I left those out)

What can be effective run to gain xp at 80+ level in classic? Which options do i have and at which level they become not effective?

Flayer and cows are doable for a bit, Trav can be run to 87ish, higher if you really wanted to goldfind for a long time… then city/river is viable for Barb’s, up to about 91 where chaos is your only chance. Then, I think it’s 93/94 you barely get anything except from sealB’s and Urdars, and of course Diablo.

2 Likes

Interesting so actualy lod has more option where to level up. OP just probably dont know that.

Anyway i think i am going to try classic on single player just for fun. Which classes you would say can finish is best with clearing whole game?

Barb is most fun solo, Din can do it but running from river to chaos is tedious solo.

Don’t even try to solo with sorc, in Classic there’s a reason we run in teams haha.

And yes, LoD has more leveling areas.

Classic is more about itemization, efficiency, and teamwork.

No one has hit 99 since 1.09, so the experience argument doesn’t matter too much. The highest level anyone would likely go is 95 to gamble +2s, and it takes months even for bots.

I am preparing hardcore guide for all characters so i am curious if strategicaly would not be better to finish game in classic and then transfer to lod.

You can transfer chars to lod right? I completely forgot that lol.

yeah, people do that for SOJS to bring to LOD mid ladder after they have farmed as many as they can.

1 Like

I think getting to hell act3 on expansion is better, especially for hardcore than trying it in classic, for a number of reasons.

By the time you beat Act 3 and transfer to Hell act1, you will be under leveled to the average expansion character, not have chances at the runes/early runewords like stealth/rhyme/spirit, etc…you’ll essentially be behind, likely.

Is it possible you’ll be ahead of the players in expansion at that point? yes. I don’t think it’s enough of an advantage to do it at the start of a ladder season to be worth it, unless your spec can clear pits really easily solo, and safely.

1 Like

for me personally, i dont like rushing through act5, so you can Crush lvl 1’s to hell a4 then power lvl from 25 - 60 or 70 in hell cs or whatever then xfer to xpac and rush act5 once and do baal runs. its a Boosters method for paid leveling services if not mistaking.

2 Likes

Classic is super fun! I will probably end up making a classic character later in the ladder or else maybe start one during the second season. I just wish they’d get the bigger stash and shared stash tab too…

If you get a chance, someone has a topic about the classic stash here: [Classic] The Shared Stash

I like leveling with 7 other people. Baal runs IS THE META to level up in a group in the current version of the game. So if I want to level up with people this is my only choice… Not sure how you dont understand that.

Chaos Santuary is more open and takes strategy to coral enemies and not get too overwhelmed, much more interesting than Baal runs.

I know there are synergies and stuff still in classic, im only refering to the patches as how it was back in the day.

SOMETIMES LESS IS MORE MY FRIEND!

No its not, any area 85 is good for exp up to 96 or even 97.

I do but you lack knowledge where to exp as you know only baalruns.

Even Geezer above who is classic player admitted that you are more limited than in lod in exp locations.

You will have only chaos runs. I am not sure how is that better than several options in lod.

Yes, I can level up in those areas SOLO if I wanted to but I want to play with other people. Other people mostly do baal runs consistently online. I’m done talking with you because all you care about is “winning” over understanding anyones perspective