I am convinced there will be no personal loot

…Unless Blizzard is unable to combat cheats.

The context of their latest interview seems to indicate they are taking a wait and see approach to bnet, and I think this is a fairly safe bet on their part.

They definitely seem to see a benefit in personal loot if they are unable to combat cheats successfully, based on their language though, and I think that’s a really good take.

So far I am pretty much 100% agreed with their decisions on LoD so far, they’re doing a great job there. There’s a couple issues in Classic they’re missing, but hopefully they’ll get there as well.

Great job so far! can’t wait for release. Looks like based on their language almost every change on this forum thus far seem very, very unlikely.

Charm inventory, stacked gems/runes, etc…seem very unlikely, which I’m pretty ok with.

4 Likes

They certainly don’t plan on it anyway. From the most recent Post Alpha interview in English

When your character is saved offline, there’s a lot players can do to that save. Right now, we’re focusing most of our efforts on the Battle.net saved characters and preventing duping there because it ruins the economy for lots of players. There’s no Soulbound, there’s no personal loot. And on top of that, unfortunately, a common way that people dupe items is by crashing servers, so we want to make the best experience for all players.

13 Likes

Preservation is the best thing to do, keep game as it has been to the best of their abilities for both veterans and greenhorns to enjoy playing for another 20 years, possibly more.

The original game and server platform is probably more digital band-aids, dodecaoctotuple digital bypasses, bondo, twisted paper clips and duct tape than it is game just to keep it running on todays systems. VPNs are common these days, getting hammered with a two week restriction because you’re running a VPN is no fun.

“The energizer’s bypassed like a Christmas tree, so don’t give me too many bumps.”
-Montgomery Scott from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

5 Likes

Very happy ploot isn’t a thing, regardless of their bot state. This has been gone over a million times.

10 Likes

The only major change I see for PC is a modern skill bar like the controller, but with the mouse and keyboard. I think that one is too popular to ignore.

I don’t see personal loot or charm inventory.

Now It’s finally confirmed.
No Ploot in D2:R, no need to fight anymore against FFA or Personal Loot. Let’s all look forward to play this game together and having fun.
I’m so hyped !! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

I mean, I wouldn’t say confirmed as a never. It was brought up in the context of cheats. It’s quite obvious to be a good anti-cheat protection, but it also has its own downsides.
I think it’s safe to say it will almost certainly not be included on release, but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that to combat pickit they decide to introduce it down the line.

Let’s hope pickit never makes it to D2R to any large extent, and we won’t have the need for personal loot. I don’t like how personal loot would reward certain gameplay choices more than they are usually rewarded, and I hope they can find a way to keep client side cheating to a minimum. We’ll have to see.

5 Likes

Yeah, Let’s hope Blizzard fight really hard against cheating.
I think they will do a better job to keep the cheating to a minimum this time.
D2:R on new Battle net is a big +
But some people will keep trying to use cheat, some people have cheating fetish.
That’s typical Online play. Some people never learn.

Use Report Cheat Button

2 Likes

I’m pretty much convinced game will simply enter maintenance mode upon release, and after a season or two, people will flock back to old game and it’s mods.

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t like the mods, and still plays the old version I am okay with that :slight_smile: but I think it will have a few years of QoL, maybe some item/skill balancing, definitely balancing when it comes to triggering events if it is worse or too easy now. Plus it gives opportunities for them to offer bonus’s across products, play d2r season to get d3 pet or buy D4 monster bundle with D3 D:I D2R…which I hope not I am never touching D:I but that’s me.

As a remaster I think they are being smart, come out with the old game but new again, and then if sales are good, or ideas are flowing, then add on, add side events, nothings out of the realm of the possible if money is good. At least then you gave people what they wanted and anything past that is gravy.

I do think if they came out with any major changes it should be in an expansion that you can decide to take part in by purchasing or not, therefore not ruining anyone’s experience unless they want it to and can play the new old version or the new new version.

4 Likes

On a side note, I wish they would have called Diablo immortal anything else.

I always read Diablo:I as Diablo1
Diablo:II as diablo2, etc.

There are two things I think right now, with what I posted being the higher on my mind as the most likely scenario. My biggest fear jumping into this was a one and done game, and that seems more and more likely imo. They will cater to the “purist” mentality, and if they try to suggest/ask the community for changes, there will be a resounding “#NOCHANGES” from that crowd (while in the meantime, same crowd, especially those that stream, will be playing OG Plugy, PoD, and PD2).

The other thought on my mind, is that the devs are super unsure of where they are going to go post launch. They have shifted positions a couple of times in their post Blizzcon media interviews, official Blizzard survey conducted for changes “at launch” and some of the attitude during Blizzcon that seemed like they were unsure of a few things.

They have been pretty honest. Launch will be very close to the original game. Game mechanics especially.

Future? They honestly don’t know. They want to give it time, let all the folks playing it settle in, and see what the feedback is.

I respect that. I am glad they don’t have some roadmap to jam us into. I can certainly see merit in an addition to D2R, maybe as a mini module that would be optional. That way they don’t split the community and still can respond to some of the feedback after they evaluate it.

3 Likes

I don’t know the amount of devs that are actually part of Vicarious Visions, but with the news that VV will also be working with Diablo 4 now, is also a factor I believe that puts D2R into MM upon release. They will probably attempt to address cheating, tweak certain things like dclone spawns, security and compatibility measures, but any actual content/balancing…beginning to really not see it. Hope I’m wrong, but maybe a blessing in disguise…gives me more time for the glut of games coming out end of this year.

The devs recently said no personal loot which is a no brainer as it would completely change the game at a fundamental level

1 Like

Where did you here that? I must have missed it - not being snarky. I honestly have not seen that info.

I have no idea either. I met a lot of the Diablo team back in 2016 and got to see the offices, but the new folks and changes I am not updated on. Blizz tends not to release staffing levels though as it gives hints to the level of support or plans for things.

All I do know, is that if VV did the D2R work then it is quite good and I am happy to have them as part of the larger games dev teams at Blizz.

It has been on reddit recently with an article, and Ryker recently had it as part of his Diablo news on youtube.

Blizzard Entertainment has tasked developer Vicarious Visions to help out in the ongoing development of Diablo 4. According to a new job listing posted recently, Vicarious Visions is seeking a writer to pen “cutscenes, in-game dialogue, character biographies, and lore” for Diablo 4.5 days ago

1 Like

I found something here about Vicarious Visions and D4 related
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/78721/diablo-2-resurrected-dev-vicarious-visions-to-help-with-4/index.html

Makes sense to me, I figured they would want them on D4 at some point. They deep dived into D2 to make D2R, they come off vastly more informed than previous people who tried to bring Diablo to life. I am hoping that means they might think again about incorporating more D2 systems into D4. The work they did on other titles, one also called D2 to some, was very well received. Nothing but good news having them work on both products in my mind.

2 Likes

my biggest hope for D4 is it having items like Diablo 2 and not like Diablo 3.

6 Likes