How Will D2 Remastered Mesh With Project D2?

I have a lot of playtime. I stopped to play Diablo 3 few years after the game got released.
Game is awfull (It’s my opinion, no need to hate.)

There is that school of thought, but to me, I’d rather just buy the original game for $10 or whatever. If I’m gonna spend the $60, I want new content.

2 Likes

It’s not gonna cost $60. Not even WC3:R costs $60.

The main game is still Diablo 4. That’s where you’ll get new content. If there is a D2 remaster, it’s gonna be a side project like all remasters are.

2 Likes

If Blizzard’s pattern of remasters hold, D2R will cost $20-30 rather than $60.

4 Likes

Oh yes. I’d be there day 1.

Also sounds like it did reasonably well. At a time where classic combat+base-building RTS is not exactly doing great in general.

Yeah.

1 Like

No wonder the world is full of bullies, just look at you. Just start tossing around, only you see a name you do not like.
Nortroll is just a name.

Nor = Norway. Troll in Norwegian for Ogre.

I seem to remember it being $40 american, which is ~50 dollars Canadian. But yeah, I’m expected Diablo 2 to be a bit more expensive.

A quick Google search shows $40 was the collector’s edition and $30 was the standard(so about $38-40 CAD).

There’s also no real reason to think that Diablo 2 Remastered would cost any more than that. W3R was built up to be much more than that, and it was still only $30.

Starcraft Remastered was apparently $15 USD on launch.

Any mods aren’t Blizzard mods.
Therefore they probably won’t work anymore. Also because it would be a remake, due to lost source code, assets etc.

And personally, I don’t care either way.

I’d be happy with a decent implemented remake, especially modern graphics. Get that dark and bloody world truly come to life! (Pun intented).

I’d like some modern improvements as well. Plenty of shared stash, auto pickup, fixing the chat spam, adding to the bnet app etc.

Reposting this here…

Leviathan,

The news is exciting and both disheartening. I still have warm fuzzy feelings for Diablo 2 LoD. However, I detest, despise, and hate D2 online game play. I’ve had a terrible experience with online game play very early on after the game was originally released (D2 original). I spent roughly 8 to 10 years playing with friends, family, and co-workers via off-line LAN. Lots of LAN parties. D2 is pulled out from time to time when my cluster of friends get together.

If blizzard plans to make a D2-LoD Remaster that is online only it would kill a game that I’ve already paid for. Blizzard could not pay me enough to play the game online via B.NET servers. I use mods so again if the remaster is going to destroy mods then the game is destroyed for players like me. What I would want is

• a Remaster that allows existing mods to work
    or
  • a Remaster that incorporates the existing mods into the game

For example, I have infinite stash via external stash mod and tool that allows for management of external item store. There are other mods that I employ.

With either of the above, I would want off-line and LAN play options WITHOUT the stupid Apple network protocol (bonjour). I don’t have a MAC, any other apple products, and I do not use Apple services, so there is no point in me running MAC protocols. Plain TCP/IP please. MACs can run TCP/IP so there is no point in adding bonjour to the product.

Keep in mind that the bonjour LAN protocol requirement ruined War3 Remaster for me, my group.

1 Like

They did this on Warcraft 3 Reforged custom map policy:

https://www.pcgamer.com/all-your-warcraft-3-reforged-custom-games-belong-exclusively-to-blizzard/

So I won’t be surprised if they introduce another ruling about modding for D2 Remake.

If D2R is a remake, I can see it being an always-online game, since Remake is pretty much a new and modern game. If it is simply Remaster, it will treat the same as Starcraft Remaster and WC3 Reforged when you can play offline.

Most of the folks who played the hell out of D2 for the last 20 years will be dead and gone by that time. New blood will be required to keep it in the played game column.

Unless Blizzard also wants to offer official modding tools, such a rule would never hold up. It only works for W3R reforged because you’re using Blizzard’s map maker.

With Diablo 2 since you’re not using official tools, it’s actually possible to make a mod without ever agreeing to a Blizzard EULA or ToS.

1 Like

My point is, will Blizzard introduce a way to prevent people to mod the D2 Remake in the future like what they did with WC3R just because they don’t like people using their tool and game to make money and etc.

1 Like

My point is that Blizzard doesn’t get a lot of choice in the matter this time. People aren’t using their tools because they never offered any for Diablo 2. Unlike Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 doesn’t actually support custom content. People just found a way to do it anyway.

and even if they try to force always online, people will just use and mod the old version of the client.

1 Like

If you don’t care for online play/battle.net you always have the option of installing the older version of D2 and freely modding it. You aren’t losing anything. Just back up your OG installers and patch installers so you won’t lose them when the time comes.

1 Like

I wonder what the ratio of play in 2021 is between untouched LoD and mods like PD2 and PoD.

Well, if D2R is a remake like FF7 remake, it is a victory for Blizzard.

If D2R is simply remaster like SCR or WC3R, then I guess it is a victory for players who like modding.

2 Likes

It’ll only be a victory for Blizzard if their reimagined Diablo 2 is well received and even then, it’ll be competing with Diablo 4 anyway.

If they would just get over the fact that they didn’t get to use the name DotA, they would also see that modding is a victory for Blizzard as well. A good modding scene keeps a game relevant and selling copies for years after a normal shelf life.

2 Likes

Installing an older version for the sake of access to mods means no patches, no balance updates, and no updated graphics. This would negate the point of having a remaster. Players who want a remaster want the updated graphics, a set of QoL improvements (larger stash is a very popular request), and possibly some small balance changes. It would be a very, very, very, very, super duper tiny minority of players who would ask for something like bonjour. For those who play online and not use mods, they would get what they want as the default. It is those of us who have no desire to play via b-net but use mods are asking for specifics beyond the commonly sought after features of a remaster.