How Will D2 Remastered Mesh With Project D2?

So Blizzard and Vicarious Visions now appear to be working on a D2 Remastered. However, to those following the scene, users (SenpaiSomething and others) have created a mod entitled “Project Diablo 2” which seems to have taken off quite well.

PD2 features some interesting concepts, including a few new abilities, rebalanced items, the ability to “corrupt” modifications onto items to skyrocket their value (apparently borrowed from Path of Exile), “maps” which are similar to D3’s GRs, and a few other things.

If Blizzard seemingly makes a better graphic version of LoD, I believe that would be a step backwards. I am also concerned that they will prevent any mods on any D2 platforms like what seemingly happened with WC3 Reforged.

Will the Remaster automatically update the launcher regardless of whether you download it or not? Will it seek to muscle out mods like PD2, or adopt their improvements and give credit where it is due?

Any D2 mods you have now won’t work on D2 HD.

What they’ve done with WC:R regarding updating and servers will happen here too.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be a major outcry if they break the several mods for Diablo 2.

There are really only two options which would not break the mods…
1: The old game version remains available for players of the mods to continue playing. Continued support is halted, the old Battle.net would obviously not work.
2: The remaster includes the ability to use mods. The mods themselves would obviously need to be overhauled for compatibility.

It all really boils down to how far Blizzard wants to enforce their EULA, or decide to look the other way… It’s obvious that violations to the EULA were done to create these mods. Then again many people poured their time and passion for the game into creating these mods. :man_shrugging:

Regardless of if mods work on a D2R, we’ll always just be able to install basic Diablo 2 and mod that.

Outside of that I’d be very wary about any changes to the game that aren’t graphical. What one person considers an improvement another will consider to be harmful to the game.

1 Like

Not only that. You’d still be able to play in private servers.

1 Like

So you want them to ask to pay again for…only graphical changes to a 20+ year old game because you fear negative changes? That is one tunnel-vision mindset my man…

4 Likes

It’s a remaster. It’s not like they’re pulling what Resident Evil did where they completely reimagined the game. It should strive to remaster the game, not be something else.

Diablo 4 is the game that has a bunch of improvements to the formula.

1 Like

D2R should primarily be a remaster. Better graphics.
I am not completely against small changes. But it should be quite limited.

Like, imo there should be a larger, shared stash. I’d also be fine with runes, gems etc. stacking.

In general, the best way to go would probably be to have two game modes available:
Classic and New. With classic working as close as possible to the old game.
And New having some of these convenience changes added. Heck, as long as both options exists, the New mode could even go a bit further, without any risk of hurting the original gameplay. Balance changes, new items etc.
Still, even then, it should aim to remain the same game.

There is no reason to reimagine Diablo 2 here. That is the purpose of Diablo 4.

Make sure the game has an offline mode, then the modders behind PD2 etc. can do whatever the heck they want too.

2 Likes

Then why buy a game that will update nothing and probably disrupt the mods that make up the bulk of the player base?

It wont disrupt the old games mods. They will keep working just fine.
Graphics is not nothing.
And the remaster should also allow for mods, so one day you might see a PD2 for D2R.

3 Likes

If there is a remaster (which is only speculation for now), it is very likely that yes, if you click the battle.net button it will force you into downloading a new client that’s integrated with the launcher. That’s what happened to both SC and WC3. If you wanna keep the original 1.14d client untouched, then you’ll have to give up on playing online on Blizzard’s servers.

As for mods, they will very likely no longer work in the new clients. The reason why we have a mature mod scene for D2 is because the client has been reverse engineered to death and patches have been relatively minor compared to what a full remaster that integrates battle.net 2.0 would do to it. If you wanna keep playing mods, I strongly recommend you keep your OG installers safe and backed up.

1 Like

it’s been called a remaster and a remake. I’m not sure which it actually is. a Remaster will fail, however.

I’m hoping Blizzard will show us something in Blizzonline.
A remastered game Is better than Diablo 2 mods, mods are bad.
But I can understand people who like it :wink:

A remaster will do fine for what it is, so long as they’re up front that a remaster is what we’re getting.

It wont set the aRPG genre on fire a second time, but it doesn’t need to do that.

It won’t.

Duh…

IF it has offline mode, which I highly doubt, the mods would have to be remade for the remake.

Won’t be good enough, if Diablo 2 doesn’t get a true end-game. I think it’ll fail. We all played Diablo 2 to death. I don’t see people paying for the same game with updated graphics.

1 Like

I’ll guarantee D2R will not be off line and will most likely not have mod support.

I would emphatically agree.

Unless they do 4:3 with borders or a super low close up camera, it has to be remade not just a graphical fidelity increase due to the way the game handles enemy AI.

People still play Diablo 2 right now even without a true end-game.

It doesn’t need to try to compete with Diablo 4 and Path of Exile 2 in order to be successful. That would probably be a worse idea than just making a simple remaster that the dedicated D2 fanbase plays and other people buy for a nostalgia trip.

Diablo 2 never had true modding support so I suspect the remaster wont and I also suspect that wont stop people.

From what I can find, Blizzard’s other remastered have offline modes. I don’t see why Diablo 2 wouldn’t.

1 Like