Help Us Fix Diablo 3

D4 is around the corner, while I share in many of the sentiments here and would love to see a thousand changes I have posted many times it just isnt going to happen fellas. All hands are on D4.

Developers don’t want players hoarding bloodshards for upcoming patch to gamble on updated items. I believe they mentioned this when they changed the cap to scale with the highest GR level cleared on the account.

2 Likes

“Top” build does not necessarily mean the top of the leaderboard. I’m pretty sure in this context it means a build that is doing well in the leaderboards and/or is capable of very high GR clears. Not these gimped POS builds that need to be changed out because no one on the development team tried running it before they went live with it. I mean do you really like running those? I mean come on now, why did they chose a build that had the strafe angelic power and then it had no strafe on the bar? That is just stupidity at its worse.

A good list.

Here are a few more to consider:

Adjust Exp Scaling
I personally dislike the way experience scales: ~4.5% per GR tier. It encourages ‘blasting’ rifts in under 2 min, subjectively a monotonous, sleep inducing activity. Why isn’t the game rewarding harder difficulties which involve mindful game play? Shouldn’t experience gains move closer towards the way HP and time scale? Some builds are naturally slow, and they can’t achieve sub 2 min clears – these builds are instantly cut from the exp meta.

Some time ago, I calculated the ideal amount of exp as +7.0% per tier. The charts below show a really simplified way of looking at this with realistic clear times across various tiers – modelled after M6 and LoN Bombardment. Arbitrary exp numbers, but I intentionally set the base experience to 1,000 so it’s easier to understand. Clearly the base experience needs re-tuning if this were implemented.

This cannot be changed without reducing the base experience starting at earlier tiers, otherwise we might all get to paragon 20,000 in a season.

Tier Exp @ 4.5% Clear Time Exp / Min Exp /Min + 30 Sec Key
GR115 1,000 2:30 400.00 333.33
GR120 1,246 3:30 356.05 311.55
GR125 1,553 4:30 345.10 310.59
GR130 1,935 6:00 322.55 297.74
GR135 2,412 9:00 267.97 253.86
GR140 3,005 12:30 240.43 240.43
Tier Exp @ 7.5% Clear Time Exp / Min Exp /Min + 30 Sec Key
GR115 1,000 2:30 400.00 333.33
GR120 1,403 3:30 400.73 350.64
GR125 1,967 4:30 437.14 393.43
GR130 2,759 6:00 459.84 424.47
GR135 3,870 9:00 429.96 407.34
GR140 5,427 12:30 434.19 434.19

Players can still blast, but they’ll earn less experience than the players who push. It becomes this:

• Blast = More Loot
  • Push = More Exp and Gems

New Item Types and Loot Chase
Primals were a missed opportunity, they aren’t very interesting from a build standpoint and they disappoint 90% of the time. Furthermore, the item chase concludes after acquiring and augmenting your ancients. We could use more interesting itemization in the form of new items tiers with traits that change the way our builds come together. I’m mainly talking about Breakpoints and CDR and situationally settling for an incorrect item because of its tier.

• Primal = Always rolls max affixes within Ancient range.
  • Ethereal = Free passive, includes armor and jewelry. (yes - you can walk around with all of your class passives if you can find them)
  • Mythic = Max affix range exceeds Ancient range by up to 20%, excludes weapon damage. (ie. 5-8% AS, 6-12% CDR, 6-12% Damage)
  • Epic = Extra affix per item.
  • Blood = Any single affix can roll on any item at the lowest possible value, in place of another affix. (Ie. 15% Elemental Damage on Boots, 5% CDR on Bracers, 10% skill damage on a ring, etc).

If we don’t want to find them anywhere… you can encourage players to play different parts of the game:

• Find Mythic just like Primals - 1 in 800 though.
  • Find Ethereal from Ubers. 1% chance to drop.
  • Restrict the Blood type to Kadala – invest 10x Blood Shards towards an item type with a 1% chance to get the Blood type.
  • Epic is from bounties – a 1% chance to drop from a Bounty cache.

The point is we should earn our loot.

The fact that MaxRoll can document the best builds down to the exact item and affixes is testament to how restricted D3’s itemization is. Especially when you consider the short time it takes to gear in all ancients. Go to the leaderboards and you will find most profiles are nearly identical. We’re not all supposed to be clones, wearing the same exact clothes-- it’s too pedestrian. The suggested item types help mix things up on the surface. Luck may cause one player to excel at certain leaderboards – but in my opinion – this is acceptable because you invest that item towards a specific build when rerolling it at the Mystic. In other words, you’re specializing the moment you choose which affix to reroll.

Rescale Torment Levels
Play Adventure Mode up to GR150 difficulty. Scale up the rewards.

Mode Difficulty Bounty Mats Rift Keys Uber Drops DBs
Normal Baseline 3 1 1 1
Hard GR1 4 1 1 1
Expert GR4 5 1 1 1
Master GR7 6 1 1 1
Torment 1 GR25 8 1-2 1-2 1-2
Torment 2 GR50 15 2-3 2-3 2-3
Torment 3 GR75 22 3-4 3-4 3-4
Torment 4 GR90 27 4-5 4-5 4-5
Torment 5 GR100 32 5-6 5-6 5-6
Torment 6 GR110 40 7-8 7-8 7-8
Torment 7 GR120 50 10 10 12
Torment 8 GR130 80 15 15 15
Torment 9 GR140 130 25 25 18
Torment 10 GR150 200 40 40 20

Restrictions…, you can only enter T9 after soloing GR140.

Game Search / Matchmaker
It’s more fun to play the game with players who are around your paragon level. A simple tool to pair up with other players based on the desired rift tier, with a means to filter out players who are too low in paragon.

Runeword Equivalent Augments
Combine new and existing legendary gems to produce new augment effects. For instance, you can augment Treachery, made from Gogok, Esoteric Alteration and Two other new gems (Thul’s Crystal and Lem’s Faceted Rock). The augment will scale the affixes granted based on the average the legendary gem power of all 4 reagents, ie: 750dex, 15% attack speed, 300 cold resist). This major time sink that will let players invest in the advancement of their favorite builds.

New Goblins
Primal Goblins, Rift Key Goblins, Bounty Goblins – where are these little bastards?

New Game Mode
Go down up to 20 floors. They get progressively harder, can’t go backwards. Can’t port to town, die or be resurrected. Loot and Exp and Enemy HP increases by 10% each floor. Every 5 floors you get a chance to locate an exit cash out. Exit rewards are calculated based on how many floors deep were traveled. Each floor has a progress meter which you have to clear before descending to the next. They could do all sorts of cool stuff with this, Exit Goblins, Merchants that appear after floor 10 up with ancient items, bosses from Campaign mode around the corners, including that Diablo from cow level. Chance to enter floor maps from the Tristram event.

That’s all I have for now.

8 Likes

I’d like to be able use Ramaladni’s on jewellery. Failing that, jewellery just simply dropping with a socket.

Also, who hasn’t had an otherwise great ancient legendary drop with a really low legendary affix? Think an ancient Dawn with a 50% CDR or Maltorius’ doing 550%DAM. What about re-rolling that stat, possibly at a higher than normal cost.

Hi there,

great job on making this video. It really made me want to share what me bothers the most about the game. And with no further hesitation lets jump right into it:

I love to tinker around with skills and expirence different gaming styles. Trying to find the next holy grail. And thats why i felt in love with D2 back in the days. But D3 gives me the feeling that i have to play in specific ways, that i have to use certain skills and certain items, because their power level is way beyond any other option or the game restricts me to use it to gain certain benefits, e.g. u have to use Desintegrate to get the FireBird Benefits. I mean this is one entire endgame set benefitting one and only one spell. What a waiste.
Well of course u could use any skill u want and play the game at a lower difficulty or grind paragon for ever till i can beat every content. But hands down, it doesnt feel great to clear t10 rifts knowing that u just can put on some endgame set, switching to another skill set and clear g90s without affort and use your limited time u can spent on the game much more efficent.
I my opinion there must be at least one skill set for every skill/rune in the game that clears gr150s to keep that skill/rune in the game and if it . And therefor u have to add options that allow every skill to be relevant. And here are my ideas how this can be achieved:

• Lower the specificity in the game. There are skill brackets in the game, pls use them combining it with the Proc Coeffs. Dont give +500% damage to Aracane Missles, give + 500%*proc coeff damage to every wizard generator spell. Or let Mirrorball with +500% (*proc coeff) damage for Arcane Missles, Shock Pulse Spectral Blade or Electrocute on random like the propertys on gear, just as additive bonus. (And pls dont let us reroll it, there are enough Leg Drops to find the one u need in the Progress). And if u do so, that u use the proc coeffs, pls, show the calculated values for the equipped skills while hovering over the gear. And pls add it for the proc chances as well.
  • Another way to buff more than one spell add ones would be to add additive bonuses to specific elemet damages.
  • And if it is not to game breaking, let procs proc procs. Why should a shock pulse generated from the shard of hate not have a chance to proc the manald healing damage? If such things work, i guess it would add more build options to the game.

Every other ideas to increase build diversity is highly appreciated.

With best regards from Germany.

I don’t mind the CR’s as they are, no. And I don’t want to run the same set up I’m running in GRifts in Challenge Rifts either! The point is for them to be different in more than just the rewards.

If I want to run a Tal Rasha Meteor, I’ll make the build and run GRifts with it. I don’t need that build forced on me and then have to run it in Challenge Rift on Tier that doesn’t make sense.

Here’s a clue, some of us only play one class. Usually DH for me, but this season, I’m trying Crusader. I’m running a Phalcon build and doing well with it. But I don’t want to run it a Challenge Rift because the people above me use a different rune on Phalanx. I don’t want to run their rune just because a Challenge Rift tells me to. And I don’t want to run it in a GRift Tier I can’t run on my own.

So screw your “I want to push the top builds” nonsense. You have all the opportunity in the world to run those builds as high as you like, no need to make Challenge Rifts like Greater Rifts where everyone runs the same builds anyway.

So with you on so much of this. And thank you for doing this. The question is, will the few brilliant ideas in among the sheeple flood of the popular opinion, actually be heard? Because there are brilliant solutions out there that may be a bit left field but would be incredible. And because they aren’t what everyone is saying, they are ignored. Will the diamonds be picked out of the pile of coal? Coal is still useful but diamonds…

A fundamental Key in development priorities: “Maximum impact, least cost.” (Impact Effort Matrix) No point in asking for crazy amounts of work with no real impact. Like “Maybe a whole new set to buff electrocute!” no it’s not worth the effort. “Tweak a set to give every class about 5 new A-C tier build choices.” Wow that’s A LOT of new content for very little work.

Fundamentally there should be “Choice”

Cost = choice. If you want this, you have to meaningfully sacrifice something else. Are you willing to sacrifice this to get that?

Additionally, balance “NON-META” once a month, incrementally. No one cares if you buff stuff that no one uses. But if it’s starts being viable for some people, a B or A tier item, then people have a meaningful choice. Sacrifice a little efficiency for more fun. This applies to game modes and skill runes etc. You can nerf and buff Non-Meta all you want. It’s your playground to do as you please. So play with it in a super easy way that hardly costs any time but could be huge for the fun factor.

===

There are 2 major issues: #1 Power Creep. And #2 Legendary affixes:

#1 Power creep: I propose an option (character creation tick box) to spend 2 weeks (6 hours a day) getting to 70 with a magic find buff, and then get like 10 times XP buff on paragon to like 1.5k paragon. Whatever 2 weeks (6 hours a day) of grinding speed 110s equates to. Move the paragon grind time to 1-70 so we get to enjoy it.

#2 Legendary affixes: Legendaries make it STUDIP to try to use more than 1 damage dealing skill. So You are using Multishot on a single target RG. There is no situational choice.

I propose a rework to Blackthorne’s to be the new LoN set, but reverse. About 30 new viable builds across all classes can be created with 1 set:

“While no legendary affixes are applied, or class specific sets equipped, each primary or secondary skill you use, adds a stack for 15 seconds. Each stack gives 500% (needs to be balanced) damage multiplier to all damage, and a 25% (needs to be balanced) damage reduction, and 20% (needs to be balanced) movement speed. Primary skill damage is doubled. Crafted Item base stats are doubled. All static elemental damage is equal to the sum of all increased elemental damage from items.”

Now instead of an item like Mantle of channelling giving Multiplicative damage and DR, a skill replaces that. The next skill is like Unity Ring with multiplicative elite and more DR. Another skill is like another item that gives all damage and DR.

But balance this so its best build is an A tier build. Don’t destroy the meta. It’s a choice. A fraction less efficiency, in exchange for fun.

===
If we fixed those 2 things, choice would explode.

Some more if you’re interested:

On cost, if you sacrifice for something else, then you choose. Say you make it so you can spend damage on speed. So half your damage and your pets gain the ability to pick up DBS. Half it again to pick up mats. Half again to pick up gems. That way you can CHOOSE. And if it becomes so Meta that you’d be stupid not to use it, balance incrementally each month to make it start getting used.

XP pools. Just make them a certain about of XP. Like 100 paragon from LVL 1- 100. And you get double XP until that amount is given. For casuals, it’s worth it up to about 800. But also, maybe have health pools work the same. And you have to choose. Do you want the XP or the health? Can’t have both. And balance incrementally.

Paragon can be changed to be like CDR. So rather than give 10% CDR, give up to like 20% but make it diminishing returns. You can pump 10k paragon to get like 19.75% CDR, or 50 to get 10%. Make them all like that. Then balance the numbers each month by a fraction. Want max 1 thing? Or 3/4 2 things? Or half everything? Cost. You can’t have max everything. You have to choose.

=====

More on Power Creep:

Fundamentally, for me, the HUGE issue is Power Creep. It’s gone too far. Now the season jounrey is over too quick.

I want boxes I can tick when creating a character.

I want to spend my 1-70 XP progression, on Grind progression. Hours of grind so say speed 110s for say 2 weeks straight so it doesn’t destroy the meta for those who LOVE grinding. But those who just CAN’T get motivated to do it so don’t, it’s a buff.

I want a tick boxes on character creation. One for “Skip the grind” (and another for SSF). Then I can play a season for 2 weeks and enjoy the journey. XP is reduced by about 5-10 times and Magic find is doubled. You then work out XP 110 speed runs 2 weeks (. And do maybe 10 times XP buff for that amount of XP. So you can get 2 weeks worth of XP in 2 days.

For casuals and streamers, it’s 2 and a bit weeks of entertainment before starting to push. Rather than 2 days of getting to end game gear and grinding for a week and a half to get to the same place. It costs deficiency but for the joy of looking forward to unlocks and playing best in slot for 2 weeks, it’s a choice. Fun? Or efficiency? Your choice.

This doesn’t screw up the meta. It will split the community for a couple of weeks but then the community gets an injection of new people as they come out of the skip the grind.

It would be tricky for group play since you have to remove carrying. So maybe higher level players are temporarily set to the lowest in the party Just temporarily hold onto the XP difference. Meaning they have to use old gear and old skills. Point being, Cost for fun. Give the XP back when they aren’t in a party with a lower player.

Challenge rift Cache is a problem too. It skips massive amounts of 1-70 progression. That first bit of gold means nothing. The first white drop means nothing.

I’d also say, in this mode, multiply the elite and goblin count by the act number. So act 1 is normal, but act 5 has 5 times more elites per map. Maybe some other incentive to make it a choice. Not Meta, but a choice. It has to be slightly less efficient in 1 way but more efficient in other ways. Maybe 5 times more crafting mats dropping. Again, balance once a month.

===

More on the blackthorne’s set:

I want to have 6 damage skills that all do roughly the same damage, and focus primarily on the 1 that best suits the situation at the time. For instance, AoE skill for trash, seeker for stragglers, single target for single targets, melee for close ranged monsters. It all depends on what’s on screen. And it then depends on play style. People get the “Play your way” buzz. They get “Their” build. They feel like their build is their own. They can customise it to their liking.

You can maybe make LoN work with it as an alternative to F&R. F&R is Primary and Secondary. Maybe LoN could buff set bonuses by 10%.

There is an issue with the Cube. You either make all legendary affixes null and void, OR you have it so we can clear Cube slots to empty.

There are also issues with base stats increasing skill damage. Some items have like 100% damage increase NOT as an affix but as a basic stat. These would need to be changed to affixes.

Elemental damage also won’t make 1 element be locked in, so you can have more choice of runes. Point being, it’s about increasing choice as much as possible. This allows for choosing an elemental weapon and offhand over the double stats of a set.

In Sum:

Make more meaningful choice. Using something this way, means losing something meaningful somewhere else. Don’t just straight out force us to have all the same thing.

Incrementally balance all the non meta stuff. No one uses it so go nuts with number tweaks. Next to no effort at all but adding a choice or 2 ever month for 2 years means 40 new build choices or so. I’d say 50% of the mathematical deficit. So “It’s 10 times less damage. Buff it by 5 times.”

I’d say, convert all the paragon stuff to diminishing returns and let us pump as much in as we want to get closer to your limit of maximum. That and give us an option to undo power creep without losing grind progress. And give us back a huge amount of “play your way” that’s lost to 1 skill sets. Huge Optional, (not meta breaking, not game breaking) changes that take next to no time or effort.

But still I’m worried. Because these aren’t what everyone is talking about, I feel they will be utterly ignored. “This idea of buffing Hell’s Bells Monk came up 400 times. Wow they really want that. Okay then. This really cool logical idea about more fun came up once. Seriously? 1 person said they wanted it? As if. Delete.”

Hopefully they will consider all possibilities and not just the mob rule.

Again, huge thanks for this. Massive respect.

2 Likes

Great list of suggestions to improve the game! Thank you for the effort Raxx and others.
I think having D2 Ressurected means that the devs won’t abandon D3 just yet :slight_smile:

Cap Cool Downs to 10 sec. That’s allready an eternety in a game like this, no need for 120.000 hours of CD, it’s annoyeing. Not beneficial, not strategic, annoyeing.

1 Like

Am I the only one that was surprised this was Raxx’s first post on this forum?

1 Like

Their reasoning made sense about 6 years (give or take) back. However, since we have the kanai’s cube and the ability to stockpile crafting materials, we’re pretty much able to hoard materials to gamble on updated items. So honestly, the low bloodshard cap at this point is pretty unnecessary.

Contet creators rarely do forum stuff.

3 Likes

make puzzle rings stack unlike alot of other rings that you get rid of puzzle rings are the one ring you have heaps of

2 Likes

Great compilation, Raxx! You missed just one thing:

Let us bind skill 1 to a custom key. Doing this should set left mouse button to “force move / open / interact” - no attack. This should

• enable clicking a pylon or door in a crowd of monsters
  • allow casting skill 1 without “force standstill”
  • use any skill as skill 1
  • allow moving without silly workarounds (force move mouse wheel)

Ideally there is a checkbox for the feature in the skill 1 dialog, and it is stored build specific in the armory.

2 Likes

What a great list, and I respect the effort that went in to it.

Regarding the picking up of Crafting Materials. If pets cannot pick them up, a middle solution might be to have the Crafting Materials react like gems do. We do not have pick up one gem of each type.

Pick up any crafting material, of any color, and they ALL get picked up.

1 Like

Yes it is nice he came up with this list of fixes. This list is more for super push people then normal low life people. Those people really don’t care about this. They are just happy to play the game. Plus just be able to do a GR 80 to 100 too.

This is another thread that is give me, give me to make the game easier & easier. The thing is if there is that many problem in the game. Why aren’t they fixing them. The reason is D4 plain & simple.

The other reason nothing will be done is WOW that makes them money every day of the week. Here is a game that is coming up to be 20 yrs old.

Sorry people to have to break your bubble. But they will go into micro management when D4 comes out. OH wait they are there now!!!

For the Switch:

Combine gems give a button to combine one color in one go. If you have 200 gems and need to press 60 to 70 times your button is giving cramps.

Kadala gambling hold button to spend all shards on one item in one go, in stead of pressing the button multiple times.

Pressing B when enetering rift and greater rifts, playing a build i need to press B to activate hate spending to get straff power. But sometimes enemies are ate the start and they kill me because i need to do one step extra.

Armory and in inventory when you have an armory build(s) color the items in inventory so you know thats been used in builds. Better yet make an inventory system separate from the main inventory. So all armory builds dont take space in main inventory.

General game play console and pc/mac

Gems at higher tiers by questing, doing greater rifts add special drops.

Catchup system for friends give a little more xp then 10%.

Give access to torment 16 when invited by higher player even if you haven’t unlocked it.

Make legendary gems meaningful you always uses same gems in almost every season.

Why only two rings give option to activate more fingers to wear more rings this also solves legendary gems you can use multiple.

Items you always use same items in builds can this be spiced up.

When crafting for follower templar on Demon hunter for example you always craft dexterity items can we have an option that says craft for active follower so we do not have to switch to a strength character.

The challenge mode that Raxx said about using his build/char that he used to make his number one run would be awesome. But there should be a reward if you do it percentage wise worse you’ll get gems/bloodshards, do slightly better you get x, beat him you’ll get a special reward. But the number one holder can better his score so it really is something special.

Wow, why don’t you read your own writing and tell me you are not a selfish twit. Seems to me you are in the minority of people that like the CRs. Tell me that these builds on the CR have any relevance to the game 90% of the time. If anything they are a tutorial on what not to do. CRs as they are now are so bad some weeks had to be swapped out because very few people could run it. The current system stinks and no matter how much you whine about not wanting to run the meta, which does not make sense anyways because meta is not the only good builds, it still needs to be fixed so more than just a handful of masochistic players will run it. I used to run the Asian, EU and NA CRs every week and you know what… they suck. So I stopped running them. I found no challenge to them, just head scratching and frustration. Why anybody would want to run someone else’s slapped together build that is missing key gear or abilities is beyond me. If you want to do that kind of thing then throw together a crap build yourself and see how far it will take you. Just don’t force me to run it for your delusional moral high ground. And also your argument is making less and less sense. If you only run a single class or maybe two, then there is very little chance you would be running the same setup in challenge rifts then the one you are running in GRs. You know they rotate classes every week, don’t you. And even if it was the same class you are running there is a one in 7 chance that it won’t be the one YOU are running. And last but not least, everybody runs the same build in CRs every week. It’s crappy, but everybody runs it. So am I missing something here, or are you just trolling.

Too long; didn’t read.

Only way to fix D3: offline mode + mod support.

2 Likes