[Guide] MOTE6 Earthquake

I tried using the 200% damage ground stomp belt for avalanche and with the ethereal buff its not bad. Keep in mind you can have more than 1 going at once. You can paint the room with volcanos throwing lava balls all over the place.

Over the years of playing MOTE, I’ve vastly enjoyed several different styles of play. Pro-Slam was an interesting addition when it became a thing, though it was never quite my cup of tea.

I’ve mostly put the time into PhysQuake because I find the cave-in rune so invaluable for stacking huge packs.

This PTR has been wildly fun and it’s insane to have gone up to 128 with just 3 augments. Though, it should be noted that I don’t wildly fish for Grifts myself. If I start out on a pandemonium or the rocky cliffs I give a huge NOPE. But, most others I try to play out.

A few things I’d love to see for MOTE’s Leapquake is gaining access to the effects of all EQ runes, as well as a surge power bonus for Avalanche. It definitely feels like these other abilities should be hitting quite hard if they’re built into the standard rotation.

Though, I’d like to also flat out replace Rumble and just make it a one-cast one-hit move. Nothing upsets me more when pushing to watch bosses move out of it. -_-;;

I’m sure building in WoTB CD with rage spending into MOTE may be a bit high to aim for, but it’d be a nice QoL change.

Sidenote: Hey Blizz, can we do something about how slowly stricken stacks for RG’s on Leapquake builds?? ;D Me love you long time.

You did a great job pushing on PTR so far Cass. I agree with you on your ideas.

1 Like

Not a good idea. The combo of Chilling Earth + Cave-In will make all enemies CC immune almost immediately. Even Cave-In would lose a lot of its utility for grouping because you’d have frozen mobs all over the place. Parthans basically just wouldn’t work anymore, meaning most lower paragon players would have a super hard time staying alive. If they made that change it would basically be RIP for Leapquake.

Rumble doesn’t do all that much damage, even if using BoD + FotVP. If you’re playing Phys quake, you’re better off just using Furnace + Tribes and wearing Strongarms.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying here and I absolutely agree to an extent. Though I tend to stick with Esoteric so, I’ve only ever really used Parthan’s a small handful of times. I preferred BoD over it and now more recently Mortick’s for firequake. But I was mostly suggesting all EQ runes because I’d love to have the pull mechanic for firequake, or the raw damage input for PhysQuake. Either way, just some musings I’ve had while playing

I’ve definitely tried different variations of physical quake before it started getting love and traction, in my own ways of course. I won’t tout that I’m an amazing player by any standards either. But I enjoy the idea of huge seismic slams while I’m also causing avalanches and earthquakes. By far it is one of the most amusing and simple playstyles for entertainment for me. With MOTE, I really would love the idea of all sources of damage coming together, rather than EQ being the heavy primary.

It’s been pretty fun to see Firequake working in scenarios where it shines, (like allll that trash splash damage 8D!) And then getting to spend a huge chunk of time on a boss eek. XD;

But thanks! I’ll probably continue some pushing later tonight.

Well, you could always play the “Big Deal” variant I list in the OP, which uses EQ: Molten Fury for damage and Leap: Call of Arreat for pulls. That variant is responsible for the highest Leapquake clears yet accomplished.

Yeah, me too. Sadly, it hasn’t worked out that way, at least not yet. There’s kind of a “pinch” between Fire Leapquake, Physical Leapquake, and Pro-Slam, that makes it very difficult to equalize all three builds. Because if you buff SS enough to make Phys Leap equal to Fire, Slam becomes more powerful than both. So, it’s tricky.

That said, if you accept the initial condition that the build isn’t going to be super-powerful, it’s totally possible to play a MOTE setup that gets quite even portions of its damage from EQ, SS, and AV. I wrote a post that touches on that subject here.

2 Likes

I tried it, its a lot of fun. Very engaging.

2 Likes

Hi !! Long time no see. I neglected Diablo 3 because I was playing other games. But I cleared 146 today! Video. Everything is perfect, even the map mobs pylon boss!
I will upload a video soon.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Good lord! 146 in under 12 minutes!

Good job, Deal, that was basically the best rift imaginable, and you played it perfectly!

With the same rift, you could probably do 148…

3 Likes

thx ! It really was the perfect Rift.

I thought I’d try the GR 148 lol

1 Like

great job thats pretty outstanding. I was marveling at how many packs of elites you had gotten together by the cooldown pylon, thinking - ok, he’s going to hit that and spam the crap out of everything, but then the conduit shows up like 50 feel away. I was like OK, GAME OVER! lol To make things even better you get a power for the boss.

1 Like

What an intense video. That first floor was what dreams are made of, omg. xD <3 Most of my adventures end up without seeing a condi and no help from a boss pylon. This video was amazing and inspiring to watch!

2 Likes

Truly a master of the build. Pylon execution was played to perfection to spawn a 9 pack festering woods, bravo.

2 Likes

Yep, this is one of the best clear videos ever captured. Not just for this build, but for ANY build.

So, it turns out this build can 100% for sure do 147 at 10k paragon. This clear was accomplished in 12 minutes. Even if your clear speed scaled downward directly with the increase in monster HP as you go up in GR levels, that would only be a 17% increase in clear time, to about 14 minutes.

And, that isn’t the way the scaling works. Stuff like AD and Stricken works against that increase in time. So I’d say 148 is basically a sure thing as well, let’s call it 99% probability. Even 149, I think, is more likely to be possible than to be impossible (>50% odds).

2 Likes

Great clear, epic music choice, and hot-damn 10.2K paragon!
At 8 minutes in, I genuinely cheered!

2 Likes

Lest anybody get any bright ideas about playing this particular setup (“The Big Deal”) and achieving an amazing clear, let me remind everybody that it is very glassy at lower paragon. By which I mean anything sub-5000 for sure, and more is definitely better.

I almost did 137 with this setup before the one I eventually recorded, but it is super hard for me to stay alive with my 3.5k paragon, and most runs I try with this setup result in numerous deaths.

Deal probably has about 60k STR, compared to my 27k, which gives him roughly 2x the toughness, or about 30 GRs worth of extra mitigation. So the amount of damage you see him taking here is like the amount that I would take in a GR 116.

I mention this because I know people like to emulate the folks at the top of the leaderboards. And for some builds, that works out great. But in this case, it will probably be a very frustrating experience for most people.

By all means, give it a try: it may prove educational. But if you just find yourself dying over and over again, don’t think “I suck!”

Think “someday…”

5 Likes

YES, very glassy lol. Without all that str and extra armor, you would literally explode on impact lol. MOTE is pretty rough at low paragons without augs.

Quoted for the Magic Finding truth. Whether you’re a seasoned fisher, or just starting out, this video shows patience, critical thinking, and executing a game plan to the T. Put all that together with the mother of RNG and you get top clears for your class. A bit of extra paragon always helps too :wink:

2 Likes

Another interesting thing about this clear is the fact that he gets virtually zero benefit from his Squirt’s.

Once he finds the Shield pylon, the extra damage doesn’t make much difference since he pretty quickly starts zapping everything to death with a Conduit. He does get about 45 seconds of 2x damage vs the boss, but that’s right at the beginning of the fight, before Stricken has had the chance to do its job. If he’d had Hellfire + Brawler, he would have gotten about 10% extra DPS not just throughout the rift, but in the later stages of the fight vs Saxtris as well.

On the other hand, just having Squirt’s equipped gave him a bunch of “outs” he would not have otherwise had.

For instance, imagine the Conduit was a Power instead. Without Squirt’s, he wouldn’t have been able to kill all those elites without spending a bunch of extra time. But with the Power + Shield, he could have mowed them all down, and still had plenty of time for the boss. It wouldn’t have been a 12 minute clear, but it would have been a clear.

Or, imagine the Power and Shield were reversed. In this case, he would have had Shield w/ 2x damage for the boss, which would not have been as good as the Power, but still pretty good, and might have made the difference vs an RG less good than Saxtris. For example, if he had drawn Blighter or Agnidox, then a Shield might actually be preferable to a Power. It’s hard surviving those bosses just 1v1. Adding a heap of elites on top once you click the pylon can get you dead pretty fast.

Really interesting to imagine the “what ifs” on this rift.