Guide - Building a strong Valor Crusader for GR Pushing

S29 paragon remains capped at 800 -

Strengths and Weaknesses
The new Valor is very strong. Capable of 140 (Endless Walk + Coe) and 144 (Squirts + FnR) but squishy due to only having 800 paragons worth of main stats (Strength aka Armor does not increase from paragon points after 800)

Total Hitpoints needed is around 1,500,000

Strengths - Scales very well with attack speed and area damage from paragon board

Weaknesses - 50% of the time susceptible to being crowd controlled by enemies and getting 1 shotted even by mobs at GR 130++

Gear and stats
Gear avail here D3planner - removethishttps://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/58777339

1. Guardians Set is used to provide more toughness since character is capped at 800. For non season Aughids is used instead.

2. Do not bother about attack speed on gear. Replacing Strength or any other stats such as crits is not as effective as having more Strength and more Crits

3. Akarat Champion Prophet uptime is 50% with total cdr of 53-54% (Enchantress needed)

4. Fist of the Heavens is auto cast once every X seconds on nearby mobs. Staying relatively close to the intended density is required (about 30 yards)

5. 40% Attack speed seems to double the number of auto cast Fist of the Heavens which means gaining 100% more damage. Maxing out Critical hit strike damage instead only gives approximately 30% more damage. A mix of adding attack speed and critical hit damage by different ratio can be further tested on live server to attain the best outcome.

6. Active skill Phalanx Body Guard is used as a decoy to prevent all nearby enemies from attacking you at GR 130++

7. Damage rotations - Activate Prophet and Wings of Angel (extra 30%++ damage) at the start of Lightning CoE and hit Steed Charge. Dive into oculus is necessary. Due to its squishy nature you may take many death procs throughout the rift.

8. Waller packs will prevent auto cast FotH from hitting all enemies beyond the wall. Also, illusionists packs proved to be very difficult to take down as FotH does not seem to know which are the real ones and thus damage is diluted.

9. Channeling and Shield are the most valuable pylons aside from Conduit.

Summary and non season
Aegis of Valor as with any other builds requires alot of skills to pull off. Extreme amount of kiting and re-engaging is needed due to its squishy nature from not having 100% uptime from Akarat Champion.

For non season, AoV is very tanky due to having the ability of gaining main stats beyond 800.

D3planner for non season - removethishttps://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/372548646

5k is capable of GR 145.
8k and above capable of GR 150.

1 Like

The Autocasts have exactly your attack speed.
That means with 1.15 weapon AS and nothing on gear you will end up with.

5.65 → 5 casts during the 5s Steed charge with Norvalds.

Which translates into sheet AS breakpoints of
1.2 (6)/ 1.4 (7) / 1.6 (8) / 1.8 (9) / 2.0 (10) / 2.2 (11) / 2.4 (12)

Targeting 1.6 APS for 6 attacks within the CoE window worked very well. Though I will say, it’s not always guaranteed all 6 shots will land in the window.

If you go for 1.8 APS, you get 7 shot in the CoE window which is 16.666% more damage, and quite possibly worth the sacrifice. There’s a bit to think about on this, the CoE Cycle, the number of chains, etc.

3 Likes

Final patch notes are out.

AoV will not be S-Tier in Season 29 as mentioned AoV is lacking toughness with 800 paragon cap. The minimum toughness needed is around 5000 paragons where enough strength aka armor is needed to soak up damage from mobs.

However, AoV is S-Tier in non season.
5000 paragons capable of 145
8000 paragons capable of 150

This alone actually puts it on par with builds like M6 and definitely overpowers God Dh

Could you kindly translate this Blizzard’s English-impaired tooltip into the common tongue:

“While riding your war horse, Fist of the Heavens deals increased damage equal to your movement speed”

If I were to interpret this as the language of the tooltip indicates, then at, for example, 150% speed (assuming 100% is the default speed), FotH would deal 150 points of damage per strike. That (as per the S tier references in this thread) is obviously not how the damage works.

Thank you for clarifying,

–H

Vigilante grants a separate multiplier equal to your movement speed.

In your example, 150% yields 2.5x more damage.

The autocasts only occur while you’re actively riding the steed. So do not interrupt your steed to refresh your buffs, unless steed is off cooldown and you can quickly recast it.

1 Like

Much obliged!

I figured so, but the language of the tooltip is just gibberish, so thought I’d verify. :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

It’s still not S Tier at all.
S tiere are crushing 150s in 2 minutes with less paragons

Well, people like you who only uses seasonal theme to do 150 in 2mins should skip S29 and go play something else.

Nothing in non season is capable of 2 min solo clears.

They need 3,5 - 4 minutes… I hope you understand that this still means a significant power difference to a 14 minute clear…

If we ever get the new Paragon distribution but without cap (everything above 800 into mainstat) this built will benefit greatly.

It scales with basically everything. Crit, Attack speed, CDR, Area Damage and even Movement speed.
It would then use the Guardians helm which always has Movement speed and also the Compass Rose.

Ideally one would roll off mainstat on gloves, helm and rings, which make it super squishy.
However this can be rectified with uncapped paragon.

Without cap it’s Certainly A Tier. The new belt is like 3-400% damage buff

This is and remains by far my favourite build in the game

I found pushing easier on the PTR, that AD was crazy strong. I better remember how to play because last night was disappointing on non-season.

The additional area damage and attack speed with the new distribution help the build a lot

i already cleared 150 in NA non season, if i would play your account, easy 143-145.
I dont know whats happening.

Look at solo AoV, Qtrinity.
I have the twitch VoD if you interested to see how i play it.

I saw your clear details, why even use Guardians when you are 6.8k paras???
The bonus Guardians offer you is close to nothing =.=‘’

I am, please link it

Not for you.

Too much bad blood between you and me.

I left off with Guardian’s for science, to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

I was close on GR140 a few times with Aughild’s, just not getting the Shield/Conduit.

For non season i went for 1.40 Aps (actual sheet is 1.44)
APS doesnt really matter as much as AD from my runs (was switching around AS and AD to get a feel)

Next breakpoint doesnt seem to perform as well as more AD or more Avg damage rolls on gear for Non Season.

I got some info that may help you squeeze out a little more damage.

I was running at 1.44 like you, AS on weapon and glove. I changed the law like so:

• Laws of Hope: Wings of Angels is 18.18%. (175% → 225% movement speed)
  • Laws of Valor: Critical is 16.67% from the 1.6 breakpoint and another 8.62% which yields 26.72% on the surface.

1.62 APS helps make the build feel more snappy too. I recommend going this route.

I did GR139 clear today, I didn’t use a hybrid set at all. I just cubed Ess of Johan and swapped my Condemn to Bodyguard which helps the survival. It felt fine,

1 Like

From my own testing, 1.40 and 1.60 doesnt really do much in the rift. It seems to tick faster but losing the passive health regeneration from Laws of Hope isnt good (its 10,000 hp/sec)

Everything looks good on paper but not always practical. Wings of Angel also let you run through walls which is utility besides the movement speed buff.

i wouldnt recommend using condemn because you will go splat when everything is on you at gr 150 (which is the tier i did).

Again, theory vs practical is totally different. In non season ptr, i think i used an 8k++ account and did 147. i think you pop a 145 to see if your build works. If you were to ask me if an 8k can do 150, i would say yes. Just need to be lucky with pylons.

Any paragons close to 8k should be able 1 key a 140 if he/she knows how to do the rotations.

removethishttps://imgur.com/a/Lpm7xGP

Rank 1 and 2 are A6 (14k and 18k respectively)
Managed Rank 3 as Valor with 12k - 12:25
I think Valor has a chance to compete with A6 .

1 Like