Greater Rifts Revision

What if GR’s were timed, but not have a timer for completion. This way players who aren’t interested in the element of speed can complete and be credited for the clear. In this format, time clears can still be posted as part of the LB for bragging rights.

1 Like

You can still ignore the timer, you still get loot if you beat the boss.

I don’t see the point in posting Grandpas Sunday Special GR run where he needs longer to complete it. Posting slow runs? There is no benefit to this.

All you lose is the ability to level gems by failing the timer, which you can do with ease and for cheaper at lower levels anyway, no?

If you don’t want the speed run element, ignore timer, collect loot anyway, no biggy.

7 Likes

One of the reasons they removed the ability to upgrade gems on over 15 minute GR completion was that people used to run 1 hour GRs to bump their gems up and it was a pretty obnoxious way to play.

Have you thought through what this would entail? Any leaderboards that currently don’t have 150 clears will have obnoxiously long clears at the top of the board. E.g. instead of top clears being 142 in 14:57 you’ll have 150 in an hour.

An obnoxiously slow 143 will always beat a sub-15 minute 142, and the top of the boards for anything that isn’t already reaching 150 will all be filled with very long clears. Because someone will do a long clear to compete. Then someone else will do a long clear to compete. And soon, everything at the top of the board will be long clears. And if you want to place, you have to do a long clear at a high tier too, because a 15 min clear at a lower tier won’t place you as high when everyone above you is doing 1 hr clears on higher tiers.

It’ll just end up meaning that the average time to do a top leaderboard clear for anything that can’t reach 150 will become much longer. And if you don’t want to do long clears too, you’ll find you’ll drop down the boards compared to where you are now, because there will be other people willing to do 1-2 hour clears. I think you’ll find that most people actually don’t want that.

2 Likes

I think I can complete a GR150. But it take me 2/3 days.

Like said Paladina, just ignore the timer.
Benefits? Zero

3 Likes

That’s reason enough.

Your entitled to your opinion, but if a player wants to spend hour for a credited clear, then more power to them. Players who want to devote 1 or 2 hours for a 30% chance to level their gems certainly earned.

Ok, an easy fix for that would be to not register a clear longer 15 minutes.

But whoever wants to do something like that he needs to visit a psychiatrist

1 Like

Hahahahaha that was a good one. Do you realize this directly contradicts:

You’re not comprehending. You can still have timer that catalogs your clear, but the timer that currently have would no longer be in effect. You can therefore clear and level gems if you go beyond the 15 minute limit.

Would be a significant improvement for sure.

Depends on the gem lvl. Clearly.

Also, just like the No deaths reward there could be an additional gem upgrade roll if completed in less than 15 minutes.

But yeah, a 15+ min clear should not count on leaderboards.
Though, how about also not counting clears where you die.

Further, leaderboards could be based on the average of your last 10-20 clears of a GRift lvl. Making fishing less impactful. Leaving a GRift could count as failure, and reset the 10-20 clears counter.

1 Like

Hardcore GR’s?

That’s actually a pretty cool concept, adds a definitive consequence for sure.

Which is frustrating to deal with but all the more rewarding because of it, assuming you get something awesome for the challenge that is.

Like a lot this idea!

1 Like

I don’t really see the point in it myself.

Keep in mind that in order to progress to a higher GR, you have to already be able to time the GR lvl before that.

So it’s an absolutely pointless change for solo players, as it would only grant you a max of 3 extra gem lvls before you’d have to time the rift lvl anyway.

And it’s already pointless for groups since you can get to even GR 150 at a fairly decent level of play.

But then again this is a DieHarder thread, who insisted for several seasons that the gold->XP bracers were giving him, and I quote, “Hundreds of paragon lvls by itself”

1 Like

When GRs were released, this question came up for a developer. my recollection is that they did not want players having a war of attrition to level legendary gems to clear high GRs that were well beyond their ability by fighting for hours. This makes sense to me.

My zDPS barb can survive a GR 150, it does not mean that this character should be able to solo a GR 150 if I play a GR the game for hours/days to get legendary gem upgrades.

1 Like

I’m no greater rift pusher, but I don’t see much of an issue with the OP’s request, as long any runs with a clearing time longer than 15 minutes is omitted from the leaderboards (in other words, if you take longer than 15 minutes, then you’re not eligible for ranking). If someone wants to spend hours trying to clear a single rift just to get some gem upgrades, then by all means go for it.

3 Likes

I had forgotten all about you.

:laughing:, talk about embellishment. I remember it well. It was during the very first ever Double Bounties (which was made available to NS players). At just under 800 paragon, I earned about 42 paragon with those bracers and other gold increasing items. And yes, it was for the entirety of that given Season. Aaah, the good old days.

I would run a GR that would take me 30 minutes to clear for some gem leveling.

:laughing:, aren’t you stretching it bit.

I think that takes the focus on and off the Leaderboard at the same time…doesn’t seem like it would sit right but your on the right track thinkin about the time limit being refractured.

This might only be ok if you try to push your own limits, but fall short by just e few sec. or a minute, due to the layout.
Even if you change it.
Every Grift over 2+ Tiers of your highest Solo should never provide you with an Upgrade.

What is the meaning of pushing your own Limits, if you try to run 140´s in 5 Hours, if you can´t even beat a 130 in Time ?
Do you really think, this few upgraded Gems would help you to achive your Goal ?

Maybe he is one of this People, who has always higher Clears in Public, than in Solo :thinking:

Even thought, for me it´s mostly the exact opposit.
Solo i´m mostly always higher, as what the People run in Public.

i dont think this is the point as most people aim for their own personal goals…the point is, will this affect LB?
(edit: lie, most people dont have a personal goal and just stop playing when they get bored)

if someone wants to spend 1-2h in a 140 to get the chance to upgrade his gems or try to clear a 150 in less than 1h as a personal goal, i see no problem.

but i think it should be a “solo only feature”.

1 Like

I think that Greater Rift being able to done faster which gets you higher up on the leaderboard, gives it an edge, and it should have a time limit in that case to see who should get on the leaderboard. This sounds to me like you just think it’s unfair anyway that we don’t get to upgrade at all if we fail. Well maybe your right but I say Blizzard made a magnificant game from their own hands and as it was drawn and formed through the patterns and pieces that fit like a puzzle and those that didn’t, it all came together as their first diablo game thats made and is the way it is because of how they perfected their style. Don’t forget it is Blizzard’s first diablo game. Blizzard north made D1 and D2, because a group of ppl came to blizz saying they wanted to make this Diablo game, Blizz said well you can all have your own sub division called Blizz North which now is gone and this game is blizzard’s first diablo child so in other words if your that unhappy with the time limit, my best suggetion is, wait for diablo 4, where they’ll have perfected it even more!!! This was their first try, damn good one if you ask me.

~MeChopLizard

They can do this already :slight_smile: :sunflower:
So thats no point.