GoD - Stricken vs Taeguk

At same paragon and similar equipment/augments, GOD DH is stronger than Barb WW. My highest so far with Barb is 126 and with DH is 131.

Actually, since I couldn’t readily find a build guide for the GoD DH, let me leave a stat guide (as per my build) here:

(stats are in order of importance, askerisk denotes all stats are equally important, until a semicolon appears)
Helm: * dex, vit, 6% chc
Shoulders: 8% cdr, AD, all res, dex
Chest: * dex, vit, reduced elite dmg: phys/lightning res
Gloves: * 8% cdr, AD, chc, chd; phys/lightning res
Bracers: * cold dmg, 6% chc, dex, vit/all res
Belt: * ~200% legendary affix, 15% hungering arrow dmg; * dex vit, life %, all res
Pants: 15% hungering arrow dmg; dex, vit/all res
Boots: * dex, vit, all res; armor
Amulet: * cold dmg, AD; chc, chd (ALWAYS reroll move speed into socket!!!)
Rings: * AD, chc chd
Dawn: > 62% vengeance cooldown
Valla’s Bequest: roll off strafe dmg buff
Weapons in General: * 10% cdr (take on one, consider taking on the other if you can’t keep vengeance up at 100%); AD

Additional info:

on CDR: it is CRUCIAL that you keep vengeance and fan of knives up 100%. failure to do so almost always results in dying fast and in the case of vengeance, not being able to output enough dmg to clear higher GRs.
On the other hand, keep in mind this build doesn’t use the captain crimson set, so you’ll want to have enough CDR, but not more.
I have a dawn with a 64% vengeance cooldown and can get by with a cdr of 44.21%. I suspect it could be a little lower but my build is far from optimised (started playing DH around a month ago).

regarding Vitality: since this build uses simplicity’s strength, the more vit you have, the more healing you’ll get with its 4% of your life healed with every hit of your hungering arrow. It may have an ICD though (internal cooldown) because it feels like it heals me a lot less than WW’s blood funnel rune which provides only 1% per hit. regardless, 750k life is the sweet spot for me.

AD is paramount. I used to run with dmg % and a ton of crit (while using the Vile charge barb last year). after I learned about how AD really works, I switched my build up and moved up about 7 tiers in like half an hour. it was kinda stupid actually.

le gloves: the stats on the gloves are for when you have a high enough paragon that you can do away with dexterity and vitality. if you can’t yet, I would recommend keeping cdr and chc, and slowly incorporating first AD (instead of dex) and chd (instead of vit). you’ll want to get rid of vitality last because you’ll be naturally dumping your paragon into dex and staying alive will be a more important consideration as you progress. whatever you choose to get rid of first, you should first put AD in and then chd.

vit/all res/specific res: you can freely switch between vit and all res, depending on what you think is more lacking in your build. If you won’t be using all res on a build, keep an eye out for secondary resistances, and try to get physical res or lightning res, as they comprise about 90% of the damage that will be dealt to you (IIRC, someone will correct me if I’m wrong)

Please, if I got something wrong, tell me and I’ll fix it… and thanks for all the fish!

gr numbers are all entirely relative. saying 110 is hard applies only to those who think 110 is hard; most would consider 110 to be a 2.5 min speedrun. in season at 900 para i could do 110 100% of the time, probably 6-7 mins. in ns, i have friends that can consistently do 135s in that time.

using quad gloves is tricky; im a little over p3400 ns, speccing out full 150 augs, dex still gives more damage than taking cdr on gloves and taking 10% on dawn. also, with a 65% dawn you dont need an extra cdr slot (shoulders, helm, para, fot, vallas is enough) so any extra dex is more helpful. however if i get a better vallas without cdr, i can use the vit on that and take points back from para into dex to make up for losing it on gloves.

allres is generally preferable on pants and shoulders, but trading 1k for the same 130 on helm is not as good a trade unless you are SUPER high para.

trapped doesnt “auto proc” entirely either. even a decent size pack will only have a few mobs within 15yds when you stand immediately in the front, the rest is dependent on follower. if you are able to stand in the middle of packs, the edges wont be slowed, and a large circumference is actually harder for follower to slow all of compared to a pack in front of you, so enemies will still be unaffected. and if you are tanking in the middle, the gr shouldnt be hard for you

I would call GR135 in 6-7min impressive, to say the least.
In season I gave up pushing after 136, as I can’t play with CoE (die way too much, not that good at dodging everything) the lack of damage is too obvious, and I miss 10%CC on FoT.
I would need godly rifts to clear higher, but after 600 keys, I’m done. My 136 clear was a godly one, and first key too (lol ?) if I had higher GR unlocked at that time, a 138 maybe even 140 could have been a clear.
Still dreaming of a single 4 corner festering filled with vile swarms and fatties + a conduit at the end…

2 Likes

regarding trapped, it’s why I added “situational”.

Thanks for the clarifications though. I’ll add/change where appropriate

Not a fan of statements like this. While it’s true that Zei’s isn’t a popular gem due to many gems being really good for the build, to “blanket” say the others are superior would not be an accurate statement.

Often times if you’re doing push GR’s, the stun chance isn’t something you innately want, as it can prevent you from being able to pull mobs around the rift as efficiently as you’d want. Is not as bad as most people think, but it can get a bit annoying if you’re not expecting to play around it.

As for speeds, Zei’s is very strong and very unlikely you’ll run into CC immunity with constant stuns. In this case, the stuns actually help you, especially if you’re wearing squirts. Also works really well with a ZDH as you don’t really want Taeguk due to it’s diminishing returns with the zDH’s odyssey’s end buff and ends up being the strongest gem to replace it with.

Still though, it’s not a popular gem and not recommended for push GR’s unless your playstyle dictates. Since simplicity strength and Taeguk are often must haves for single gen builds, the 3rd gem slot is usually taken up by stricken due to the insanely high health pool RG’s have as the build is awful on single target relative to it’s trash clearing potential.

All in all it’s definitely an underestimated and often misunderstood gem (distance values). All of my speed runs, high GR clears, including my rank 1 clear, involved using zei’s gem.

5 Likes

As for speeds, Zei’s is very strong

I agree with Die here, just for fun I gave Zei a shot, and scored my best GR100 clear ever @1:39.
I changed thrill the hunt and cull the weak to tactil advantage and archery too, so this have contributed aswell.
My Zei and Trapped are both 150 so fair comparison.
It depends on the map though, on open maps Zei is better, on bad ones like corvus or whatever, trapped probably wins as you’re always close to the mobs.

2 Likes

Uhh, why do you use Archery instead of Steady Aim if you’re using Zei’s?

1 Like

Because these are speed runs, I’m always at 10y from some mobs. Archery is consistent raw damage, vs steady aim more situational.
But I’ll give it a shot to see if it globally feels faster.

Taeguk isnt just used for it’s damage. Taeguk damage isnt even as good as BotT in most situations, it’s the best defensive gems for GoD that also gives a bonus mini damage.

Stricken is garbage until you start doing 120+

I have Rank 131 of both of those gems…

1. Bane of the Trapped = 54.30% damage
  2. Taeguk = 7.240% damage, 10 stacks = 72.40% damage

It sure does look like Taeguk has an 18.1% damage advantage. Could you expound as to why you think Bane of the Trapped is better in most situations?

1 Like

Taeguk is additive. So the actual buff you get depends on what other additive bonuses you have to this or that skill.

A max level Taeguk gives about an even bonus as a max level Trapped if you have roughly 30% other additive bonus. With higher additive bonuses, Trapped performs better, while with 0-30%, Taeguk will give more damage.

Of course, if you don’t have 100% slow/chill uptime on every enemy you’re hitting, you have to discount the amount of damage you’re actually getting from Trapped.

1 Like

I compared zei vs trapped in GR100s the last days keeping Ambush and cheat death on all of them :

• Trapped with CTW + TA
  • Zei with Archery + TA
  • Zei with Steady Aim + TA

They all felt similar, and assuming the RNG variance in rifts it’s hard to jump to conclusions.
On average rifts clear times are always between 2:30 and 2:00.
On good ones sub 2:00 clears.

The second setup scored my best time ever, but I may have got close to the same time with trapped.
My guess would be, trapped is slightly better on bad and average rifts, and zei slightly better on good/godly ones.

i wish people would stop using random speed runs as any sort of metric… your own ~average~ run has a 30 second delta… thats huuuuge already, up to 20% difference on randomness alone. comparing these ideas, which are single digit percents in damage, with that much margin of error is going to be entirely meaningless. at least half the maps will be difficult to spawn rg in a spot you can easily get 50 yards with zeis. you may waste 15 seconds on a jug with trapped. you may have better trash, letting zeis+pierce add way more damage. you could lose taeguk before rg because of a speed and no hatred and spend half your boss fight ramping it back up.

it would take THOUSANDS of runs, with actual, exact, info to get even a slight hint at which one is better for speedrunning 100s. there is a reason that iria, die, and everyone else who tests things seriously do so in as controlled an environment as possible; thats experimenting 101. random grs, any gr for that matter, will have far too many variables to make any realistic testing be accurate. it would be less time consuming and more accurate to get above your absolute clear ceiling, fish for the same gg map, and time clears (essentially a target dummy firing range) and see which one truly outputs more damage. both options require thousands of keys, so gl

1 Like

Point was, pick whichever you want, it will work well for speeds, assuming around equal gem level.

1 Like

Well, I think for the sake of my argument, you are forgetting that I am playing hardcore, and my best clear for the Season so far was 108, but a power outage killed that character, so I am now doing 8-10 minute 100’s to rank up new gems.

Then my phone rang, and I forgot to pause the game, and by the time I heard my farming UE character screaming, it was too late. And I had an early Season death, so I am really playing catch-up here. I also just relocated in the last week, so very little playtime, even though the computer system is the last thing taken down, and the first to be set up…lol.

At the moment I am running my backup GoD gear with Crimson’s, SoJ, and Endless Walk, with Shadow Power/Gloom, so I get 1.9B Toughness when fully buffed, and 1.2B without Shadow Power active. So I’m pretty much immune to most damage at GR100 (gun shy now…), but my damage is suffering, at 1.1M sheet, as it always will compared to a Normal character.

And as I said, I’m using Taeguk, Trapped, and Simplicity, all at rank 101 so far.
Passives are Awareness, Cull the Weak, Perfectionist, and Blood Vengeance. Figure those out…lol. And now I have to advance to 105 again…my “bad luck” tier.

Anyway, sorry for my absence here, and thanks for the lively discussion and really good information! And thanks for not hiding your Armory Profiles…it really helps me to actually see what you are doing…

Good Hunting!

But Zeis isnt additive right? So Zeis could outperform Taeguk even faster then?

Zei is like Trapped, so yes it could.
When running GoD speed “meta” I tend to use Zei over Taeguk because of zdh.
For solo speeds sub 2:30 Zei and Trapped feel the same to me, passives adjusted accordingly.

You need 40 yards distance from target for Zei to match Trapped damage… that can be hard to maintain at times without breaking up mob density.

But yeah, in an ideal situation, Zei is the highest damage of all gems.

Actually, you just need 31 yards to get the 40 yard damage buff (the gem rounds up to the next tier) and when you do it’s a hair stronger than trapped at equal gem levels.

It’s really not that difficult to get good value out of zei’s, even at point blank range because the arrows that pierces that close usually like to travel out a bit before making its rounds. In general though, the gem is written off due to either misinformation about the gem and/or believing that 41 yards (50 yard damage bonus) is like a full screen away when it’s no where near that. It’s perhaps the second most asked thing on my stream, to the point where I should probably just make a video on it lol.

P.S. I’m not necessarily advocating the use of Zei’s over other choices as GoD6 does well with 5 different gems and stricken is going to, more often than not, take the 3rd gem slot over trapped or zei’s in push GR’s. I just want people to know their options in case they want to break away from the norm or maybe optimize speed farming.

3 Likes