GoD set not building momentum stacks with Calamity Marked for death

Hi,
Recently I have completed the full Gears of Dreadlands 6piece set without the Ring of Grandeur.

I have noticed a major bug where when I use hungering arrow with devouring arrow rune and any other primary ability, that when i am in combat the stacks of momentum are no longer adding.

I have tested this with Bolas and HA and neither are proc’ing momentum even when I am point blank shooting at enemies.

I have tried everything i can think of, replacing gear pieces on, switching sets, spells, spellbar positions.

If anyone has suggestions They would be much appreciated!

EDIT:
The problem is using Calamity with marked for death making targets immune to building stacks of momentum

2 Likes

I don’t want to flat out assume, so I’ll ask, are you manually casting or are you talking about the primary casts from strafe? If it’s the former, that’s probably a bug. If it’s the latter, the 4 piece isn’t supposed to proc the 2 piece.

Its manually casting primary abilities that doesnt add procs when Calamity is used.

2 Likes

This is a bug with the set even without calamity. Sometimes your primary ( and yes I mean the one that was casted manually ) just won’t give you momentum stacks. It’s most noticeable when strafing around a lot of mobs. Even though you are weaving like any second sometimes your momentum stacks will drop to 15 or less. Many of us reported this already during and since PTR.
I did a last try too before season start but the thread was buried fast in the flood of D2 and D4 rants without getting much attention.

2 Likes

Isn’t it the case that you can poke the button for the primary skill, but if you are in the wrong part of the animation then you don’t actually fire one? I’m pretty sure Dieoxide was showing this in his weave video.

Go to a town with a large area like Act 2. Assign something visible like Bolas and do your mix of primary/strafe and see if it actually fires the bola every time. If not, practice until you get the timing to get it every time.

The good thing about practicing in town is that the set doesn’t fire the primaries on its own without a target so you won’t confuse the set primaries with your cast primaries.

I just tried it and the bola is missing every so often. The character stutters, but no bola comes out. You can also see that the player skin will change briefly when you fire the primary, but if it fails to deploy then you won’t see a disruption in the strafe skin.

1 Like

I too am having so much issues with this bug on the stacks for primaries when using Calamity for the mark of death. Stacks of momentum sometimes does not stack when using primary hungering arrow skill, super annoying. Will Blizzard fix this?

Calamity is terribly broken. Best advice is to not use it at all.

1 Like

Ironically, the stacks will always build if I fire at nothing (and hit nothing)

1 Like

I think this goes a bit deeper. Try spamming your mouse in middle of a big pack, targeting mobs, you will see the generator buff of F+R doesn’t refresh either. It seems the shot is not fired at all when this happens, because the strafe animation won’t stop.
This is with HA bound on right click.

Can confirm this is still happening when you use Calamity. With Calamity I had instances where I stopped and cast multiple primary skills and didn’t get a single stack, never happened before equipping Calamity or after removing it.

I don’t think it’s Calamity, or at least isn’t just Calamity. I switched that out and it seems to happen less but it still happens. I don’t have any issues when I’m in town or there aren’t any mobs around. If I sit there and spam Hungering Arrow I build up to and stay capped out at 20 without any issue; every single shot refreshes it.

When there are mobs around (eg. in a rift) it’s hit or miss. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t. With Calamity, it got really bad, especially where there were a bunch of mobs around. I’d regularly drain from ~15/16 stacks down to 9/10 while spamming HA. I had one situation where I when from 16 stacks to 0 while just standing there spamming it (and then promptly died because I took a laserbreath to the face from discount Diablo).

Without Calamity, I haven’t run into anything that bad but I still have to fire 2-4 times before I get the stacks from the 2-piece sometimes.

Maybe it’s lagging past applying the buff for some reason. That’d explain why using Calamity (thus throwing Marked for Death everywhere) makes it so bad; it’s trying to do too many things and runs out of space to apply the buff before the next cycle.

I just encountered this bug as well when I switched to a more powerful ancient calamity today. So here we are, April 21st, 2021 and its still not fixed.

Even if this bug was fixed, why are you using Calamity? It’s borderline useless weapon regardless.

As I just said, it was more powerful than the weapon I was already using. And the automatic casting of vally of death would have been another slight boost in damage if it didnt screw up the momentum stacking.

The 15% additive damage which MfD provides is miniscule compared to what maintaining 100% Vengeance with Dawn or circumventing the 9 frame ICD of GoD 4p bonus with Valla’s provides. So really, why use Calamity even if its other properties make it more powerful?

Im not here to argue meta stats with you. I came here, because I equipped a weapon that was stronger than what I was using, decided to try it on, and found a bug. Which is what this thread was for. Not for back and forths about the validity of using said build breaking weapon.

4 Likes