Give us choise to play alone in D4

I don’t like the part where you have to do world events with randoms. I can’t see why forcing a party is a good idea. I’m not against group play but I think they should let people who want to play alone tackle with world events without having them join a group of strangers. Balancing those world bosses would be abysmal since you can’t tell when people are fighting seriously or when someone just comes attacks it once to get participation and then afk and leech exp/loot. If boss will be hard then it would also turn it into D3 group Gr meta with support classes and Dps. if it’s too easy so everybody can participate, then it would be too easy get loot this way.

How about just give people a chance to fight these world events/bosses alone…

It takes nothing a way from people who want to fight these with group, but takes away from single players. I’m not asking to make D4 into a offline game but give a choise to play alone.

39 Likes

That kinda defeats the definition of “World Event”.

2 Likes

Why does it have to be defined world event then? It’s OK to force people to play as a group in an mmo, but I don’t see why it has to be done here. And I don’t see what it takes away from people who want to do these as group if someone is doing them alone. They are anyways going to scale the events based on the number of people participating.

4 Likes

Please read the intro to D4. They do address the grouping. You are NOT required or forced to group. That is up to you. Sure, you might not decide to join a world boss fight, but it is all your own decision. I think you can even jump in the fight without being in an actual party. Just walk over and help out.

If you really don’t like seeing others at all, Dungeons, which number in the hundreds, are solo instanced so only you, or your selected party, are there. Campaign is also only open to YOU, or a party you select, until you complete that area. It avoids anyone else stumbling along and ruining your immersion.

To Party or Not to Party

Whether you’re prone to partying up or an independent adventurer, Diablo IV will have a way for you to play.

When it comes to the Campaign, you’ll be able to play through the entire story at your own pace or alongside friends, with progress syncing up to the party leader so there’s no question about what’s been done or what’s next on the checklist.

While most of the world is socially open, certain, smaller parts of each region are campaign specific. Once the campaign objectives have been completed, those areas will also dynamically open to other players. This means you might see another party of adventurers pass you by or you could organically stumble into an event or World Boss other players are already battling. You won’t need to party up to enjoy these activities; whether you decide to join the fray or continue your own journey, that decision remains yours.

Dungeons will be separate, instanced experiences. While you won’t see wandering adventurers alongside you as you delve an abandoned ruin, you can opt to bring up to a party of four players in to tackle tougher challenges for greater rewards.

…there are hundreds of dungeons with tons of events, ensuring each delve is a unique one!

19 Likes

Depends on how those world bosses play out. Allow me to explain.

I highly doubt Blizzard are going for a hard encounter similar to raids in an MMO, or anything that resembles Greater Rift composition from D3.

From what I can tell, they are going for something similar to world bosses in Marvel Heroes or world quests from WoW (the ones introduced with the Legion expansion pack)

Personally I’m a big fan of D2:LoD, and I am generally against WoW features in Diablo, but I really like the idea of mixing Marvel Heroes (which is basically how David Brevik would have made D3) and world quests from WoW. I do believe this fit very well into a Diablo setting.

Considering, that you could solo world bosses in MH, I think the same would be possible in D4, but we’ll see.

I don’t believe so. Again, you seem to envision these in terms of raid encounter from WoW. I don’t think Blizzard are going for anything like that and more along the lines of world bosses from MH and the world quests from WoW.
I did world quests back in Legion and they worked damn fine.

I don’t believe these wolrd bosses will be a big deal in terms of being difficult to do.

Actually, the boss difficulty has nothing to do with Gr meta with support and DPS classes.
The Gr meta with supports emerged due to the simple fact, that classes had (and still have) very powerful offensive buffs. In early seasons it used to be 2DPS, 2 Supports, and later on even 3 supports. It also emerged because of the lack of balance when it came to different DPS builds.

If the characters don’t have such powerful buffs in D4 to begin with, then there wont be pure ZDPS support builds, and thus support meta.

I believe whatever buffs the characters in D4 have will be more along the lines of D2 auras, druid spirits and barbarian shouts… and by that I mean, those buffs will be good for you to use for your solo build anyways, and not just useful on a pure ZDPS support build.

I highly doubt they’ll have ZDPS builds in D4. I just don’t see them having D3 type of buffs (or 2 min cooldowns).

But hey, even if there were must have skills for world bosses, you do realize, that you’ll be able to farm and/or trade for skill books, and max some skills other than just the ones you use for solo, right?

2 Likes

Yes but if the game restricts you from progressing the storyline or from greater rewards because you DIDN’T DO a World Boss fight, so does this mean you can’t progress further in the campaign or you don’t get better rewards because you didn’t do it.
So does that mean you can’t progress further in the campaign because you DIDN’T kill the World Boss and can’t progress to the next area UNTIL you kill the World Boss in group event…so is this true?

Rykker ask this same question of World Boss fights that people will only do it for the greater rewards and then leave.
Will players only do it for the rewards or that the rewards be greater if you participate in a world event.
Which means World boss fights shouldn’t be the only way of getting better rewards as that would mean the game is very restricted to “group play”.

Which begs the question, Will single player boss fights be possible in D4? or is it only a group thing such as World boss battles.

Also it seems you can only progress once an objective is complete so Does this also apply to World Boss fights and fully completing the campaign?

1 Like

I’m afraid I can’t go to town alone anymore to access my stash, craft, rearrange my build in peace. Town will probably become a Turkish Bazaar with hordes of traders screaming “WTS/WTB”. Another reason why trading has to be removed.

5 Likes

World bosses seem to be an optional content; meaning you don’t need to do them to progress in the game. As such, as long as that’s the case and they don’t have any exclusive reward (outside probably some cosmetic piece probably), then I’m personally not too bothered by them as the actual endgame content can be soloed. That said, I really hope there’s at least a “hide other players” option.

5 Likes

You always have a choice. Hell you can play WoW SOLO. This doesnt mean your playing effectively, but the option is always there

2 Likes

Guys, I don’t know if any of you actually played mmos with world bosses in them but, you’re not actually forced to party up to kill them. They’re harder bosses that reward party play, but if you’re feeling confident you can challenge them alone for a solo kill.

1 Like

as far as i know they said you can play through entire game solo, and they will try to make solo play as efficient as group play

Never played an MMO so don’t really know about World Boss battles but willing to learn how its done…even seeing the demo your still sort of playing solo but all of a sudden you see other player roaming about.

So if everything can be done solo then I’m ok for it, but if you only get better rewards from group play then I don’t think that should be the way.
Like Rykker said people might only choose to do World boss battle and then leave just for the rewards.
So in saying this rewards shouldn’t be greater on World events.

Maybe I misunderstood, so correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you have to complete a zone yourself before it even start showing other players? Because that’s what I got from the presentation. I’d have to watch it again to see.
So no, I don’t believe your campaign would be restricted.

As to the drops, generally in Diablo the drops are somewhat random. In D2 you could somewhat control them by doing lower lvl content and exclude all the higher lvl items from the loot table, but that’s more or less the extend of your control over loot. On high lvl zones, it was random.

I don’t think world bosses will be must in order for you to be able to acquire a specific piece of gear.

Also, there’s trading. For years I refused to make characters for Uber tristram and I simply traded with other players for Hellfire Torches… so yeah.

Hah… maybe world bosses will not be soloable and you’re forced to play with other players, because of the whole leaked patent for the manipulative matchmaking. Check this out:

xxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZQZQDNk40

Imagine the following scenario:
You go around the world and you encounter a world boss. You don’t seem to be able to do antyhing to him. Then several players appear. One of them completely destroys the boss. You inspect him and you see an item specifically designed to destroy that world boss.

In order to get the item, you gotta get it from a black market for real money (secretly owned by Blizzard themselves, because they said they are not going to sell power, but they will)… and all of that just to screw the solo player out of his enjoyment and money!!!

Sorry, I’m messin’ with ya :stuck_out_tongue:
relax, it will be like WoW world quests, easy mode.

I think your on to something. Open trade up and have booths all around town where you have to stay within the booth area to trade. Then we can have an ancient town set up with main road lines with little shops! Genius!

1 Like

Not exactly. I’m not a solo-only player so I don’t really care so much, but I’ll say what they said and what they did doesn’t seem convincing. For example in D3 you can do bounties alone but you have to spend 4x the efforts for the same rewards. Sure, I’m not forced to group as long as I can tolerate doing much more boring things…

I can imagine world boss events giving excellent (although non-exclusive) rewards and if you don’t join it you lose the rewards.

You are not forced to join it, but severely punished if you don’t. I think this is what happened in D3 and I think D4 is apparently more social than D3.

9 Likes

Yeah this is what I was asking about it and even Rykker asked about this.
It might seem World boss fights might give greater rewards but the problem with this is players might only choose to do this for the greater rewards because playing alone gives slower but less than greater rewards.
To which might become a problem socially for other players.

So will it become which players do you or do you NOT trust in advancing into a World Boss fight.
Players will only join you for the World Boss fight and then abandon you once the battle is done.
So it questions who really are your friends which are the ones who stick around and help you out than the ones who want to steal all the rewards.

But if Blizzard make so that World Boss battle aren’t just for rewards then every player should get rewards equally in everywhere they play.

No. Please read what was quoted. You will NOT be locked out of any story or campaign progression because you did not kill a world boss. They are OPTIONAL.

Now, will there be gear on them that can ONLY be acquired via world bosses? We don’t know about that yet. Hopefully not.

Yeah, that will likely happen no matter what. If we have any sort of chat, and any sort of group activity, people are going to chat and ask for groups, boosts, etc. Even without trading. Now, you can turn off General Chat in D3 so it avoids any intrusion, but I don’t know if D4 will be that way. Most likely. Blizz knows that ability to control chat is a key feature. Even in their big MMO, WoW, you can turn off all the chat and just go about things on your own for the most part.

4 Likes

I pretty much agree with this.

That’s my only concern really, I don’t want special
rewards for world bosses.

2 Likes

Gonna be honest, this is a good thing. Not the spam, but the sociability that comes with it.

1 Like