Gibbering Gemstone

I know it is super rare. I’ve been farming it for about a month straight now and still no gemstone. Is it still dropping at all? This is the last item I need to create my Staff of Herding.

1 Like

Hmmm. I don’t remember it being that rare.

You’re farming Caverns of Frost in A3?

It’s about a 5% spawn. So pretty rare at least. Yeah, I’ve been running it pretty much nonstop for a month.

1 Like

It dropped for me a couple of weeks ago while doing a bounty.

You weren’t actively trying to farm for it? It just dropped?

What difficulty level are you farming it on?

Keep in mind that a while back, Blizz made all mats, including Gibbering Gemstone, a higher droprate on higher torment levels. So if you are speed running normal, or even low torments for it, you should just instead do T16 runs for it.

1 Like

I found it earlier in the season doing bounties.

I don’t think it’s very rare…I made a staff of herding in a few hours…I think the portrait frame is a bit harder to get so if you’re getting frustrated making the staff I wouldn’t bother trying for the whymsy portrait frame but I didn’t really try much to get a rainbow portrait frame. Doesn’t really fit in with the game. Lol

I already have it on normal and just want to get it on my hard core too. Does the difficulty really effect the drop rate? I thought it was about 5% on all difficulties.

No, the special materials such as the Gibbering Gemstone are in a separate part of the loot tables, and are not affected by the game difficulty / magic find. You’re just as likely to find it on Normal as T16.

2 Likes

Yes,”just dropped” in a bounty game. Sad thing is I have the staff of herding so no use for it.

In Patch 2.4.1, Blizzard increased Chiltara’s spawn rate. But, they also decreased the rate at which she will drop the Gibbering Gemstone.

Yes. It still drops. But, it has become the rarest item in the game. More rare than Primal items.

Source:

Game Difficulty is irrelevant. It has the same chance to drop on Normal Difficulty as it does on Torment XVI (T16).

Consider yourself very lucky:

From the Diablo Wiki Chiltara link (above)

As of patch 2.4.1 it appears that she spawns a large percentage of time, but getting the gemstone to drop has a very low percentage.

No.

I do not know the exact percentage. Only that it is a very low percentage.

Meteorblade is correct:

This is probably the best way to farm for the Gibbering Gemstone. In Adventure Mode, look at the Bounties for Act III. There are 2 and only 2 Bounties you want to look for:

1. Clear the Caverns of Frost
  2. Kill Chiltara

Obviously, the second one will guarantee Chiltara will spawn, although she may not drop the Gibbering Gemstone. The first Bounty listed above only guarantees that you will get the Caverns of Frost.

Any other Bounties either relate to the Icefall Caves or something else completely different from both of those caves. In which case, you can just restart your game to save time searching for something that isn’t going to be there.

Yes, all of the components for the Staff of Herding, including the Plan: Staff of Herding, dropped by Izual, continue to drop. If you already have the components or you have the Staff of Herding, you don’t have to pick up duplicates. If you already have duplicates, you cannot sale or salvage them. But, you can drop them on the ground. When you leave or quit the game, they will be gone.

Personally, I would like to see Blizzard remove the “Account Bound” status of the components for the Staff of Herding. Then, like Transmogrifications, they could be given to Friends.

If Blizzard wants to keep the Staff of Herding itself Account Bound, that would be fine by me. :beer:

3 Likes

Just dropped for me during a bounty and I have been seeking it since forever. Did Caverns of Frost about 20 times. Torment X.

It finally dropped for me after all these years. Like cosmic wings, I kind of gave up on it. I Wasn’t farming for it, just happened to be one of the bounties.

537 chiltara kills and counting, still no gemstone. I’m really starting to stray into insanity territory now, thanks blizzard. Send mental help my way it seems like I’m going to need it after I finally get it. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Usually get it after one or two runs, then thow it on the floor in GR and leave it.
Your luck is really bad.

2 Likes

I have read the horror stories of people trying to get the Gibbering Gemstone. One person claimed 537 attempts and said they were about to go insane.

I wondered if there is some hidden enabler to getting it quicker, so I got all of the other items first including the plans from Izual. I trained the blacksmith with the plans, and put all four of the other items in my inventory.

Also, being lazy, I didn’t want to repeat going to the Frost Caverns over and over not to even find Chiltara.

I like the following instructions as an outline, however I searched for a lot of other pages to make the other parts go better. Liquid Rainbow was a one shot using someone else’s instructions.

www.eurogamernet/articles/2018-11-01-diablo-3-ultimate-evil-guide?page=16

I noticed that a lot of people were quoting a 5% drop rate off Chiltara, with most people seeming to not even know how that number was calculated. This got me thinking that if you do it right, then it’s not 5% (or much worse).

To paraphrase Pursoe’s quote above:

… look at the Bounties for Act III. There are 2 and only 2 Bounties you want to look for:

1. Clear the Caverns of Frost
  2. Kill Chiltara

I got #1, and cleared both levels, no Chiltara! Ugh! Then, I clicked the “Fields of Slaughter” portal at the very end to leave a different way on a lark, without resetting by using “Leave Game”. And then, surprise, Chiltara seemed to jump out of nowhere, and she dropped the Gibbering Gemstone.

So, maybe Chiltara is always there in the Caverns of Frost, just waiting to give everyone a Gibbering Gemstone. Maybe Chiltara only drops it at the end like that. I would be interested in other folks’ experience to see if I actually just got lucky or not.

My hunch is that it is not a very low drop rate. Blizzard wants you to have fun in Whimyshire.

So, try all the tips combined:

1. Get everything else done, putting all the items in your inventory for the attemtps.

2. Only take the “Clear the Caverns of Frost” Bounty in Act III.

3. Clear everything in the cave, taking every item. If Chiltara doesn’t appear like with me, go all the way to the end of level 2, and click “The Fields of Slaughter” portal to see if Chiltara was hiding.

Is this a 100% method for the Gibbering Gemstone?

Maybe Chiltara wasn’t hiding behind the portal stone. I don’t know. It all happened so fast, but looking back it seems to be something fun that Blizzard would do to make it cool (pun intended).

No, she isn’t always there and she doesn’t always drop the Gibbering Gemstone. Chiltara is a Lacuni Huntress. They can hide under the sand, waiting to ambush unsuspecting adventurers. She can spawn anywhere on Level 2 of the Caverns of Frost. Sometimes you’ll encounter her above ground. Sometimes she’ll be hiding and won’t emerge until you get close to her. And it is not unusual for her to spawn near the exit Obelisk, or what you call “The Fields of Slaughter portal”.

You got lucky. Congratulations!  

3 Likes

Thanks for your insight Purusoe! I didn’t account for the Lacuni Huntress being able to hide under the sand.

On my next level 70 run, the only bit I would add is after a full clear of level 2, where Chiltara hasn’t shown herself, I would walk over every part slowly to try to trigger her to attack from beneath the sand, if she’s there at all.

Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

Yeah. You’ll encounter (or probably already have) these Lacuni mobs, both trash and Elites, throughout Act 2. They seem to “pop up” out of nowhere, and when you least expect it. They definitely keep you on your toes. (Especially on higher Game Difficulties).