⚙ Gears of Dreadlands - Performance Testing & Feedback

Moving a body of mass (i.e. a DH) at the speed of light requires infinite energy and the body of mass would carry infinite momentum. In the equation below, p is the momentum vector, m0 is the rest mass, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light.

Jokes and physics lessons aside, I’m more for a build that builds up angular momentum via Strafe (faster spinning) which then converts to linear momentum (like how a discus thrower spins to throw) when you stop moving either by a huge volley of attacks (e.g. 1 primary fired per stack of momentum when stopping Strafe) or a huge damaging primary that scales with the number of stacks of momentum.

For casual play or speed GRs, strafing indefinitely should be a viable option (just not the optimal option).

2 Likes

Conversion is fine if it’s intentional and rewarding.

Players already are complaining about the herky-jerky feel of stop-and-go with what exists now, and even is not abrupt, it is caused by a gradual degradation of Momentum stacks.

That is why i’m suggesting to let the environment and your own actions dictate your… momentum. If your momentum stacks were plotted out on line graph, the mechanics I’m suggesting would result in a long gradual slopes, maybe even max stacks achieved in extremely good density.

This doesn’t mean that both ideas couldn’t work together, like activating a certain skill could trade half your Momentum stacks for a separate damage buff. (i think we talked about this before).

Gears of Dreadlands: 6-Piece Bonus
Your primary skills deal 30000% more damage. Activating Companion consumes half of your Momentum stacks and increases the damage of your primary skills by an additional 500% per for 4 seconds.

30 stacks = 2pc 15% down | 6pc 9000% up = 391x-> 449x
50 stacks = 2pc 25% down | 6pc 12500% up = 452x-> 533x
100 stacks = 2pc 50% down | 6pc 25000% up = 602x-> 827x
200 stacks = 2pc 100% down | 6pc 50000% up = 903x-> 1602x
300 stacks = 2pc 150% down | 6pc 75000% up = 1204x → 2628x

At max stats it’s more than double damage for 4 seconds. It’s not really worth while when you don’t have much Momentum accumulated.

This would make for some sick group play, as you’d be more likely to stay near max stacks.

Haha there’s the formula!

1 Like

If a skill activation is needed, perhaps Fan of Knives would be more appropriate since it would be like letting go of knives after you’re spinning.

Yes, I wanted a Device class skill to fit into the gears theme. Didn’t want to use Vengeance as this might promote the loss of Dawn.

Not sure if all skills would fit so I settled on Companion, this set should defy nature.

LMAO you so crazy that would be way too OP

Last nigh we tested Marauder and UE with Hungering Arrow and we decided to go for 136 with UE. We cleared it with 2x flavor of time + conduit that killed 7 elites. Had speed for RG that we took a bit late. Before Conduit we had 2% -3% advantage.

Some quotes from Barb for lols:

• Oh god can you stay close to the monsters they follow you and jump out all the time.
  • This is so much work for Barb for so little.
  • You keep missing IP because you vault around like chicken
  • I am used to play with WD not this crap
  • Can you please stay in group that is how this game should be played, that is how every build is played
  • There is oculus why don’t you go for every oculus. You must go for every oculus.
  • You need to remove steady aim and use numbing traps and 3K Paragons on vitality than you don’t need to vault around.
  • I don’t care if you are losing UE4 set bonus that is your problem.
  • I don’t care we don’t have monk in party
  • Yes, yes, yes I know you don’t get 30% inherent damage reduction but that is bad game design.
  • We need better progress during the rift steady aim and single out are useless for that just use oculus.
  • Omg don’t use your zoo you get from Marauder they block monsters I cant pull anything. Monsters are getting cc immunity.
  • Marauder is still garbage I hate your spider and this pig.
  • Please dismiss your pets… You can’t? Remove skill from skill bar.
  • Are there other defensive options for Marauder or you must use zoo belt?
  • Come here asap, come, come, I don’t care you died I said come.
  • We have to work on your game play.
  • I cleared more than you with DH. Rapid fire is the best build.
  • I dont care if you don’t play Rapid Fire it is the best DH build Evaaaaar!!

Hahahaha xD

Edit: I must say that I returned to d3 because of that guy. <3. We know each other for long time. He started playing Rapid Fire only to motivate me to play it also.

I think new set can fix some of the issues.

1 Like

Sounds like putting up with his feedback is half the battle. A stronger GoD6 set, without the UE4/M2 issues would be more meta friendly.

Ridicule is the burden of… good builds.

Do we know how many pierces/knockbacks can be pumped out within a 3 second window?

3APS is 9 attacks.

• Single target HA is probably 36 pierces.
  • Bolas in thick density is harder to say with CC immunity. But if the Bolas projectile pierces too, I could see it making 200-300 stacks. 120-180 if it doesn’t pierce assuming CC immunity.

We need Bolas to hit like a truck, the multipliers suggested are for concept, they are a guess. Going from the proposed 300T to 1500T is not gamebreaking or OP. Other builds strike even harder.

1 Like

Randoms would not even want to play with me. DH has bad reputation.

He was pissed mostly because he wished HA to be stronger than what we saw.

Fully agree. That is exactly why I shared. There is not enough feedback about DH group play on forums.

New set has to be stronger than Marauder. Pets are not good for party play but for solo they help a lot.

Agreed, I bet there is more group action happening on season’s PTR.

Deleted Content Due to Regrets

I agree with this… but… they need to understand that:

1. The spinning activity needs to do some damage too.
  • WotW initially made WW the damage dealer. Despite Rend doing the damage now, you still feel like WW is doing the damage.
  • For TR monk, channeling TR does some damage too despite the nuke effect of the cold rune doing the most damage.
  1. The additional activity needs to feel satisfying and not annoying:
  • With WotW, no one wanted to stop to apply rend. Besides not doing much damage back in the day, it just felt clunky. Lesson from this… they need to rule out clunky activities.
  • TR monks are happy to channel for a while and let out that cold blast because it’s a powerful nuke effect that’s rewarding. Lesson from this… stopping to do something rewarding such as nuking is works with a spin to win build.

Ironically, they have a set that facilitates this sort of playstyle for DHs already… Nats Strafe with RoV being the nuke was awesome! The pushing build required hitting a generator for sustaining hatred and also proccing FnR but back in early RoS when T6 was the highest difficulty, the set could be run as a proper spin to win set up with RoV nuking.

How can the set/complementing legendaries be improved to facilitate this playstyle?

• update the Nats 2pc to also cooldown Vengeance in additional to RoV… we can drop Dawn then.
  • increase the 6pc damage buff and also the duration of the DR and damage buff to 30sec so that we can spend more time spinning before we need to nuke if desired. The DR% can be increased too… from memory, N6/M4 and N6 RF can both do with more toughness too
  • I can’t remember if the 4pc buffs the Crashing Rain belt… I don’t think so. Maybe link the two or increase the damage of Crashing Rain to make it desirable again though increasing the 6pc damage buff will help
  • change K’mar Tenclip to grant all Strafe runes and increase the damage buff to Strafe
  • change Valla’s Bequest with increased damage buff to Strafe
  • introduce a new bracer that grants damage reduction when channeling with Strafe or RF and also grants a shield at 3% life after moving for 10yds stacking up to 10 times
  • introduce a new ring that increases damage and resource regeneration by 30% for every second you are moving up to 300%. Not moving for more than 1 second drops the stacks.
1 Like

Deleted Content Due to Regrets

I agree, if a pure damage skill is not doing 30%+ percent of all damage itself, it doesn’t belong and it’s a lame set mechanic (unless it offers some utility like Strafe does). I couldn’t figure out a way to make it purposeful, maximizing CoE cycles wasn’t effective enough.

This is why I moved onto a new build suggestion: GoD’s 2pc damage % should be based on pierces and knockbacks done by the primaries – as those are supported by Leonine, Buriza and the Hungering Arrow skill itself.

That would be great to include as well:

Reduce Vengeance cooldown by 1 second when your Primary Skill pierces more than one enemy.

This way you can drop Dawn and run Leonine, Emimie Duffel, and Ninth Cirri.

Firstly thank you for the well writen topic, so i also believe the dreadlands set should be a spin to win, for basicly your same reasons, we already have lots of stop n go builds on demon hunter wich actually performs more intuitive and better than dreadlands, i hope it becomes a spin to win set, blizzard PLEASE DONT MISS THIS CHANCE TO MAKE SOMETHING GREAT TO HUNTERS.

1 Like

When I tested new set I found initial acceleration, when you start to use Strafe, a bit weird. Sometimes it was hard to position where I wanted to. Anyone else?

same, and that awkward feeling when the stacks end and you cant strafe anymore, just frustrating…

1 Like

Yes, sometimes it feels wobbly haha.

just to clarify, should we be getting the 10,000 bonus and whatever else (belt, pants, quiver) when our primary skills are firing while strafing? Even when the stacks are gone…

yes simple test take one piece off

For those interested in reviewing game play and gear check out the following YouTube links showing solo push clears with Hungering Arrow:

M6 GR131 HA about 30 keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeHl59TZTsY

GoD GR123 HA 1 good key (sorry no sound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fdRk314PVo

Are these the best configurations? Not sure. They were both configured for defense.

I’d say UE6/M6 Hungering Arrow exactly matches LoD Blessed Shield from a performance standpoint. It needs more power (+5GRs) to be on par with the likes of other top-performing class builds.

This might be irrelevant after the imminent PTR update. Hoping for extra damage on all HA builds.

3 Likes