Gear that Followers benefit from (non-emenate)

Note that this is valid only for gear. CDR works on the useless 50% CDR token.

1 Like

Useless? What testing have you done to show that it’s useless?

It is useless cause without the cannot die relic there is no chance they will survive. And if they are dead you are getting no benefits from their skills / items. Imagine yourself playing without any set dmg reduction or items that proc dmg reduction with skills like band of might with charge… And pretty much every combination of items, buffs, gems and on top of that casually walking inside all affixes like molten or frozen. You are instantly dead. Any other relic apart from the cannot die is useless 99% of the time.

3 Likes

Survive what exactly?

There was a thread on PTR feedback, where we tested exactly this. It is entirely possible to make the follower survive with cannot die relic.

If you tested nothing, don’t come onto the forum and spread untruths.

1 Like

If you haven’t noticed there are 50 projectiles aimed at you and them per second, affixes on the floor like electricity poison fire explosions, enemies at melee range attacking them. They will not survive that. How hard is it to understand? Can you show us footage of your follower - let’s say at gr 100 - that survives without the immortality token since you mastered the testing?

How hard is it to understand? Did you test anything?

I understand what I tested. It worked for the content I was testing on. But since you’re too lazy to look for yourself, let me link the forum thread here for you.

3 Likes

Alright we are going to okay a zdps class for them to not die that sounds really fun.so how is it that everyone uses the immortality token then?

Are you trolling right now, or do you not understand dmkt’s intention?

The vid demonstrates follower toughness being useful up until a point. The OP here is asking about gearing options in 2.7 - what relic we use now is irrelevant to this topic.

1 Like

Op asked for gearing options and said stone gauntlets ice climbers which is referring to toughness. That is relative to the token which solves every toughness issue. Anyway, gearing is also the token right?

The post by Solo, assumes that any time anyone plays solo, they are pushing. This is an untruth.

For this reason it is valuable to understand that your follower can actually use something else besides the cannot die relic. Need more uptime on the heal from Templar? How about Scoundrel and the Crit Bomb? How about having all of the skills from the Enchantress available to your Character?

If you read the through the thread I linked, you will notice my post there. I believe I said to ignore Stone Gauntlets because they did not work.

1 Like

I never said that you said go for stone gauntlets. I assumed he asked for these specific items cause he had toughness in mind, why else would anyone ask for gauntlets + climbers. I am pretty sure in the future we are going to see the other two tokens come into play more often when they develop followers further. As it is right now i d rather make them unkillable and forget about it even when I speed.

That is of course, your decision.

More on topic however…

Aquila does not work, as your follower has no resource.
Similarly Captain Crimson’s damage reduction doesn’t work, because there is no resource to reduce.
Stone Gauntlets don’t work.
Legacy of Nightmares does not work.
Legacy of Dreams does not work.

Can use Esoteric/Mutilation Guard.
Can use Boots of Disregard.
Can use Leoric’s Crown.
Can use Pauldron’s of the Skeleton King.
Can use Chaingmail.
Can use Cord of the Sherma.

EXP gear does carry over to your character as it works on Live right now.

It is worth noting, that your follower doesn’t need more than 25k of its mainstat to get the maximum benefit from its skills. Building it’s HP pool is helpful, as is Armor/All Resist. So you should be able to reach the 25k threshold with just Ancient pieces, and use perhaps 1 or 2 gems to cover any shortfall. Everything else should more than likely be dedicated to Armor if you are not using a Cannot Die relic.

Any gear I didn’t mention here, I didn’t test or am unsure of. Sankis, doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but the visual effect is there. This is how it works on a player character. Though I don’t find it as useful for the things I would need a follower for, so didn’t test it thoroughly.

4 Likes

i didn’t know legendary gems worked on the follower, is this new and is it just the 2 you mentioned ?

Maxroll guys did a lot of testing and those are the only 2 they found that worked - esoteric alteration and mutilation guard. I don’t run them because I play hardcore season and use immortality token for added safety (I will rely on follower cheat death to gain extra passive).
Also, as stated earlier, 50% CDR token is useless imo - if you want to run non-immortality the All Skills is a better choice - more powerful w/ most builds. 7min 3sec into the vid for reference on some of this.

3 Likes

Again, the OP is not asking for your opinion.

You do not know their intent. So trying to assert that one token is better than another is completely meaningless until you know more about the OP’s build and situation.

If you are playing HC, a properly built Templar with CDR token is infinitely more superior. You have quite low gons, so I’m assuming you don’t go very far beyond GR100. At this level you don’t even need Augments, the follower can survive just fine with all Ancient pieces… especially the Templar.

The same reasoning could be applied to the other Followers.

This statement is objectively false. I specifically mentioned T16 farm several times and pointed out some gear that would be useful for T16.

Follower builds will vary based on T16, GR speeds, GR push etc. It would actually be nice if followers had wardrobe synergy with the player wardrobe feature so we could change follower gear more efficiently. They have so many new slots.

And if we were being formal about all this we’d have sections for each follower, and then have gearing specific to each mode I suppose. There really are so many nice options now depending on T16/GRspeeds/GRpush etc.

On using CDR token instead of immortality on a Hardcore char for GRs when your follower has the chance to die? That’s a big ask. Not until I thoroughly test it myself, especially when I’m relying on follower’s cheat death to gain extra passive.

In seasonal HC PTR, I was doing testing mainly between GR110 - GR130 to help FilthieRich with the “Templar stops moving” bug. Looking at latest patch notes, they found the bug and fixed it so that’s good to see. At GR129 in PTR, on FB6, Templar was dying almost instantly w/o immortality token. Even if you’re correct, and well-known technical streamers are wrong, I would have had to waste time gearing follower with ancients to survive etc, something I’m not going to do in PTR.

As example, in a solo GR110 speed on FB6 like this one - templar is obviously fine here but what would he significantly add to the mix with CDR token vs immortality?:
https://streamable.com/w5eplg

He adds no offensive player buffs and his skills aren’t really needed in that scenario. I’m mostly after occ rings, nems procs, FoT buff etc etc. His skills aren’t improving speed clear times unlike both Scoundrel and Enchantress which can buff player’s DPS, CDR etc which DO improve clear times. They also have cheat death skill.

I was only running Templar to isolate bug. In season I will probably run Scoundrel for dps with these changes - most of the tier lists with this follower change are showing scoundrel at top for push, then enchantress and then templar. Wudi in particular is saying templar is kind of out of the mix now. But yeah sure, Templar is historically solid in HC but I think it’s time to revisit that with each follower having a cheat death.

What are you saying here? That I couldn’t possibly have tested these things because “well-known technical streamers” were saying that survivability on Follower was impossible?

Did you open dmkt’s thread, that I linked? Did you see the video he posted? Did you see my post? Did you take a look at the gear screenshot I left?

There are more tests that I ran, and more threads I posted in because of comments like yours. Here is an example:

There is no need to reduce the value of your own insights just because someone in a “position of power” says otherwise. I watched the Maxroll guys quite closely, and when it became clear that there was no interest to check follower toughness beyond the inability to use the defensive pieces I listed above, thought it may be worthwhile to see what the limits are. Interestingly, at the same time, dmkt made the thread showing his follower taking tremendous amounts of torture inside multiple rifts.

Short of it is, if you are doing speeds in the range of 120~ It’s entirely possible to play without the cannot die relic. What you may struggle with is Follower recovery, not toughness. Though you will see, I compensated for this as well in the thread above with a D3Planner link for the Enchantress. Notice how the points I mentioned before are covered. 25k mainstat, room for Armor augments…

Does justice lantern work on the Templar ?

2 Likes

This is the gear that I’ll be testing on my Follower, give or take (high regen per second and Vitality):

https://maxroll.gg/d3planner/648917452