Freezing Issue installed Fmodex64.dll file - Fix Needed

Any updates on this? I have fps lags - stutters (would guess for few hundreds of milliseconds) as well when using abilities with my wizzard.

The PC is rtx 3090 + ryzen 5950x, D3 running from M2 NVME SSD, latest drivers, audio channels set to 16, all graphics to lowest/off, fps mostly around 200 to 400, but those fps drops make the game opposite of smooth.

Mine freezes in literally any rift. I had no choice but to use this. Purposefully tried the dif audio levels to fix it and it didn’t work. Froze 5 times in around 3 mins of a 75 grift.

Unfriggin’ real in this day and age for a problem like this. I just paid a lot of money for an RTX 3080 system and the performance is stuttering balls with this issue.

Hey Silver Fox, the majority of people like myself have tried the majority of fixes first, reinstalling Windows, updating drivers, reinstalling D3.

We should not have to lower the options to play the game. Blizzard have known about this fault for nearly three seasons.

1 Like

Is disappointing that Blizzard has allowed this game issue to go on for months and months. Is the number reason why I haven’t prepaid for D2 Resurrected.

Reminds me of the D3 act2 Desolate Sands freezing issue which took quite a few months before Blizzard and AMD fix such. Is players’ responsibility to report game issues, not fix by replacing game files. For me, D3 freezes on a regular basis. I have D3 video settings low/off. D3 installed on a 2014 computer (z97 / i7-4079K / DDR3 / RX580 / SSD).

Of note, a recent Microsoft’s Win10 update has impacted game performance. “Problems with dropped frame rates and reduced gaming performance have also been reported by some users. While this can be addressed with an updated graphics driver or rolling back to an older driver in some cases, this does not always help. Problems with flickering screens have also been reported by Microsoft Edge and Chrome users when resizing browser windows.” [KB5001330 update for Windows 10 is causing performance problems and other issues (betanews.com)](https://betanews.com/2021/04/16/kb5001330-update-for-windows-10-is-causing-performance-problems-and-other-issues/)

They really should fix this. It’s a really annoying bug.

I am giving this a try.

• installed AMD 21.4.1 driver only (no bloatware), RX580
  • Win10 power settings, removed sleep/hibernate
  • D3 video settings low/off, low FX enabled, vertical sync enabled
  • Win10 using windows installed sound driver, not Realtek
  • D3 sound settings sound 16, stereo, enabled with “1” each category.

EDIT: Running Firebird Wiz. Zero freezes GR105-115 public 4 party or hour plus. Lagged once while others had paragon AD enabled; after they removed, no issue lag. Seems like AMD/Nvidia package bloatware.

I asked this in another thread, but I don’t recall reading about anyone trying it:

What happens if you run the game using the 32 bit engine instead of the normal 64 bit engine?

I’m just curious.

Nothing, it still uses the same FMOD version, so a dead end :frowning:

This is nullified by this:

I don’t recall anyone having the problem using HDMI audio, at least I didn’t anyway when I tested D3 on my Win 10 installation (I dual boot as I built a hackintosh). Since nearly every motherboard uses some form of Realtek chipset, I’m curious to see if there are any correlations to either driver version, chipset version, or combinations of both that trigger this. I’d also be curious as to whether disabling the Realtek device in the device manager stops the freezes. If so, then it would indicate a conflict between realtek’s drivers and FMOD’s more recent versions.

The FMOD version in D3 is VERY outdated.

Changing drivers has no affect nor does disabling the device in device manager. I have tried HDMI, USB Atmos headphones, removing and disabling sound in windows, only fix is actually disable game in sound.

D3 hasn’t frozen the past 2 days GR 110-125, since I reinstalled AMD 21.4.1 driver only. Didn’t install package. Am still using default D3’s FMOD. Installed MS generic sound driver. Turned off sleep / hibernate (Win10 power setting). D3 video low/off, low fx enabled, vsync enabled. D3 sound 16, stereo, enabled but set to “1.”

For the record, I have the latest file installed and not the Battle.net one. That one is 3 years older…

Doesn’t anyone else see this as a problem? The fact that this person had to go through about 10 different steps JUST TO FIX an issue that a multi-billion $ company won’t fix.

3 Likes

Those of you both having this problem or not having this problem, take the time to visit this thread and complete the two quick surveys. I’m trying to gather some data to find a common link to what might be responsible for this problem.

Thanks,

A friend of mine had the same problem and it got fixed when he reduced the amount of sound channels. For testing I raised the amount of mine and it started freezing, not as hard but it was still very annoying. But reducing the amount of sound channels to 32 works for the both of us. I hope it will help you aswell!

too much power leveling happening this season lmao

I am having the same freeze 5-15 seconds in greater rifts over 100 solo or group play. I disabled my realtek sound on my Asus Maximus Hero IX and installed a new SoundBlaster AE-7. It did not solve the problem. Clearly the problem exists with Blizzard. The game is barely playable and not fun in group play when the freeze occurs.

2 Likes

Go into your battlenet desktop app and go to top left corner and click the little arrow and choose “settings”

click on “Downloads” and go down to “Automatic Updates” and tick the
“Never automatically apply updates”

Now run the fmodx64 bat file and it stays.

I fixed this in a different way. I rebuild my old PC with witch i played D3 in the past. It consists from 3570K cpu 270x gpu Windows 7 64bit. On this PC diablo never freezes. I play Firebird Wizz. Also on this computer the game has even mutch more fps on higher settings then my actual 1800x 1080ti win10 one. Sadly it has some other problems like you must set the Battlenet launcher to 32bit in Safe mode(took me time to figure it out,in normal mode the launcher crashes so fast in sucsesion that you cant go to settings). Also the radeon driver likes to crash and restart witch happen maybe once per play session. Still mutch more playable then on modern PC

1 Like